Getting completely distorted playback in iTunes; Unsure if it is a driver problem

Ever since I installed a cracked version of cubase*, iTunes will not play any mp3 or mp4 files correctly (by that, I mean everything sounds similar to modem noises mixed with loud radio static; also, mp4s have no visuals, just a black screen).

WMP, WinAMP, QuickTime and Firefox will play the same files normally, and my iPod is completely unaffected, even after adding some new songs and synching. So I know my music isn't corrupted. Also, iTunes will play m4a and wav files normally.

* It wasn't malicious, but I am certain that it is the cause of this problem as iTunes worked normally a day prior to me installing it.

I have already tried:
  • Reinstalling iTunes (just iTunes, not all of the associated programs you are supposed to uninstall when you want to completely uninstall it). I have the most recent version of iTunes as well.
  • Updating my audio/video drivers through the device manager. A few didn't update automatically, so I can't say that I completely explored this option yet.
  • Uninstalling the cracked software that caused this.
  • Several fixes for problems that were listed on Apple's support page. None of them seemed to be about the specific problem I have right now.
  • Some more fixes a google search yielded. Like the apple page, they didn't seem relevant to whatever my problem is.
  • Unfortunately, I didn't think of backing up anything before running the installer. I wish I did :(

Computer Specs
Win XP Pro Version 2002 SP3
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
2.19 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM

Audio driver (according to the dxdiag tool): NVIDIA nForce Audio

Aside from a fix that actually works, I really want to know what has been corrupted so that I can refine my searches and maybe find a solution. So, if you think you know something that could help, please post it. If I didn't provide enough info, please say so!

Back