Getting my pictures back after system restoral

Once again this beginner on the computer is having a problem, to make things easier I am not upset at being guided to a tuturial or another site... I am greatful for any and all help. PROBLEM ... I did a system restore and I was FINALLY able to get back almost 100% of my pictures and data files, now the problem is when I try to open them it says "preview not available" and I do not know what to do .... I also had a few movies that I had created and can not open them.... any advice from you folks.... you have been so fantastic with my other problems, I invite you all to Kansas for a beer ..... thank you Nashkan (Dan)

Dan,
When I formatted my W2k computer and upgraded to XP Pro years ago i woke up in the middle of the night and realized one CD wasn't big enough to hold all my photos. I had many GBs of photos. I bought a program ($30 to 35) called Active Undelete. found at:
http://www.active-undelete.com/
And after many hours of scanning I actually restored all my photos where there were none when I started.

I found out formatting doesn't really remove data!

now the problem is when I try to open them it says "preview not available" and I do not know what to do .... I also had a few movies that I had created and can not open them....
It could be you don't have programs installed that handle these particular "file types". Do the pics with problems share the same file extension? And what about the movies?

Also, try using VLC Media Player as it comes with a number of its own "codecs" needed to play back movie files. Many media players including Windows Media require you to download and install codec packs.(btw in addition to VLC I also personally like KMPlayer)

Back