Gigabyte's Radeon RX 6000 cards will become up to $78 more expensive following AMD price...

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: With the graphics card market in such a state, it would be nice to hear something about products getting cheaper. Sadly, it seems the opposite is true. Following recent news that AMD is increasing the price of its Radeon RX 6000 GPUs for board partners, Gigabyte is reportedly the first to pass the new increase onto customers, making all but one of its RDNA 2 lineup even more expensive.

Last week brought unwelcome reports that AMD was set to increase the price of its GPUs by 10% for its board partners due to TSMC hiking the cost of chips. It was unknown at the time whether the $20 - $40 jump would be passed onto the consumers—but we should have expected it.

According to Board Channels forums (via VIdeoCardz), Gigabyte has notified partners that it has adjusted the price of the AMD Radeon RX 6000 line in response to AMD’s actions. The cards are now between 3% and 6% more expensive depending on the make and model, with only the Radeon RX 6900 XT unaffected.

The change means we can expect up to $31 added to the selling price of the RX 6600 and XT variant, while the RX 6800 will become up to $47 more expensive. The most significant change will be for the Radeon 6800 XT, which goes up by $78. It’s worth noting that these numbers could be even higher once other factors, such as shipping and taxes, are taken into account.

Graphics cards are still getting pricier and harder to find, so making them even more expensive is just going to exacerbate an already bad situation. AMD’s latest is already in the shadow of Nvidia’s Ampere series—only the Radeon RX 6700 XT is found in enough Steam survey participants’ PCs to make it onto Valve’s main GPU list—putting them even further out of reach of everyday consumers isn't going to help boost their popularity.

Permalink to story.

It's going to be fun next year when availability will be higher and the number of people interested in buying will be a tenth of what it was this year.

I think we're going to see a general price drop not so much in the 7000 and 4000 series, but the generation after. People have been over paying for graphics cards for so long that they might hold onto them longer than usual. That, or we'll see previous generations flood the used market so some people can recoup some of the money from over paying for their last generation of cards. I know I usually sit on my old cards as a backup/diagnostic purposes, but if I paid the margins people are paying now for a card I know I'd dump it to atleast get something back. I know I wouldn't mind paying $400-500 for a 6800 or 6900xt. I'm still on my 1070ti. It plays just about everything new fine at 1080p and I can play all my older games no problem at 4k(I use a 65" tv as a monitor). I in no way mind being a generation or two behind.

Well I'm happy with my 3070ti and with this adjustment coming, I'll be happy with her for the next 3 years till we can see things back to normal

I think we're going to see a general price drop not so much in the 7000 and 4000 series, but the generation after. People have been over paying for graphics cards for so long that they might hold onto them longer than usual.

Very unlikely.

Most ppl who post here already own at least 1 unit of an RTX 3K GPU or Radeon 6K GPU and there's quite a few who own multiple units, up to 5 or 6.

These ppl will keep buying each gen of cards like crazy b/c they can and they get a kick out of it.

No price drops so long as whales are buying like crazy.

They just scared a bunch of people into buying GPUs right now before the prices go up again.

Very unlikely.

Most ppl who post here already own at least 1 unit of an RTX 3K GPU or Radeon 6K GPU and there's quite a few who own multiple units, up to 5 or 6.

These ppl will keep buying each gen of cards like crazy b/c they can and they get a kick out of it.

Are you sure it's "most" people? I'm stuck with 1650 here because my old card died and I had to have at least something

The two Microcenters near me are almost fully stocked up with AMD 6000 cards, plenty to go around, but Nvidia cards are still wholly sold out. When I looked at the pricing of said AMD cards (at a brick and mortar retail store no less), I felt the bile rising in my stomach and thought "Man, it really feels like AIBs and Microcenter are pricing AMD cards out of the market"... and this won't help the matter. XD

And I'm still on my GTX 1080 because it was still "good enough" when the 2000 series came out, and I absolutely refuse to give scalpers my money RE: 3000 series. MSRP(ish) or bust, so I probably never will get a 3000 series card. I hope it continues to work until 4000 or even 5000 depending on pricing.

Very unlikely.

Yeah I will be selling my 6900xt red devil ultimate when new 7900 comes out.

Pretty much everything is getting more expensive, and I'm not just talking about our enthusiast grade hardware.

Oh dear, the poor miners. Not. Hoping Intel come up with something I can buy in 2022. Amd and Nvidia are not getting my business again if I can help it. Surprised the monitor manufacturers aren't kicking up as well. Being wanting to upgrade to 1440p for 2 years but little point when you cant buy a card to drive it. They must be losing sales because of the greed of Amd and Nvidia, and dont tell me they could not figure a way to get cards to gamers. Enough said

Very unlikely.

if most people owned those cards then the comments section wouldn't be flooded with angry gamers as soon as the forbidden word, "gpu", comes up

Welcome to the world of GREED & REALITY. I love AMD and I am mad but it's just business. I have more things to worry about. Like I said last year it's gonna get real bad. I live in CT an within just a few months almost everything went up in price!

Very unlikely.

This made me laugh, thank you for that.
Still rocking my 1070 TI, not because I cant afford a new card, just because I refuse to pay double or triple MSRP. Things will level off at some point, hopefully my 1070 will last long enough.

Back