GM to halt production at nearly all North American assembly plants next week

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: General Motors told the Detroit Free Press that starting next Monday, September 6, it’ll temporarily halt nearly all of its production plants in the US as the lingering Covid-19 pandemic continues to hamper production of semiconductor chips overseas. GM spokesman Dan Flores said he wasn’t sure if the supply constraint is because employees have a high rate of infection of if the government is putting restrictions on plants due to the pandemic.

A spokesperson for GM said the company will run its Arlington Assembly in Texas at regular production next week, along with its Flint Assembly plant where it makes heavy-duty pickup trucks, the Bowling Green Assembly in Kentucky where the Corvette is built, and a portion of its Lansing Grand River Assembly where Camaro and Cadillac Blackwing cars are created.

Unfortunately, all other assembly plants will go idle come next Monday.

"During the downtime, we will repair and ship unfinished vehicles from many impacted plants, including Fort Wayne and Silao, to dealers to help meet the strong customer demand for our products," Flores added.

The length of downtime varies greatly by plant. Here’s what GM had to say about the affected facilities:

• Fort Wayne and Silao Assembly plants to take a week of downtime starting Monday. GM expects to restart regular production Sept. 13.
  • Wentzville Assembly in Missouri, where GM builds its Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon midsize pickups and Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana full-size vans, will take downtime for two weeks starting Monday.
  • CAMI Assembly (Canada) and San Luis Potosi Assembly (Mexico) will take two additional weeks of downtime through the week of Sept. 27. Production of the Chevrolet Equinox midsize SUV, which GM makes at both facilities, has been down since Aug. 16. San Luis Potosi also builds the GMC Terrain midsize SUV.
  • Lansing Delta Township Assembly adds two weeks of downtime starting Monday. GM expects to resume production there the week of Sept. 20. GM makes the Chevrolet Traverse and the Buick Enclave midsize SUVs at Lansing Delta Township.
  • Spring Hill Assembly in Tennessee, where GM builds the GMC Acadia, Cadillac XT5 and Cadillac XT6 midsize SUVs, adds two weeks of downtime starting Monday. GM expects to restart production the week of Sept. 20.
  • Ramos Assembly in Mexico will take two additional weeks of downtime for Chevrolet Blazer midsize SUV production through the week of Sept. 13. In addition, Equinox production will be down until Oct. 4. Production of the Chevrolet Equinox has been down since Aug. 16.

Permalink to story.

Shutting down the entire global economy, for a "virus" that has a 98% survival rate,
has its consequences.
Plus, having all of your chips being made basically in ONE nation (that isn't really
"western" friendly) doesn't help either.
I know it is a kooky idea, but if CEO's would take less pay, stockholders would just
shut their yap, bring the manufacturing home to their respective countries, it would
put more people to work and there would be less shortages.

Shutting down the entire global economy, for a "virus" that has a 98% survival rate,
has its consequences.
I'm betting you don't even know that a 98% survival rate of anything non cancer is absolutely horrible. Even localized early diagnosed pancreatic cancer has a survival rate of something like 40% now.

Last edited:
has its consequences.
Plus, having all of your chips being made basically in ONE nation (that isn't really
I know it is a kooky idea, but if CEO's would take less pay, stockholders would just
shut their yap, bring the manufacturing home to their respective countries, it would
If I gave you a bag of 100 skittles and said there are 2 in there that will kill you I bet you wouldn't touch that bag of skittles.

Last edited:
Funny how ONLY the semiconductor plants seriously curtailed production in China. With everything else it was pretty much business as usual by the end of January.

GM hardly makes anything worth buying anyways. Buyers are better off with less GM stock to get tricked into dumping money into.

You mean like the Flu did before Covid 19?
Guess how many individual flu strains it would take to equal the death toll of JUST Covid-19. (HINT - All other strains together lag way behind just the COVID-19 contraction\death rate.)

All the strains of the flu have as much in common with each other as the many types of cancer.

A year and a half and I can't believe people still don't get it.

Guess how many individual flu strains it would take to equal the death toll of JUST Covid-19. (HINT - All other strains together lag way behind just the COVID-19 contraction\death rate.)
Of course it does. Because ever since Covid came out. It has included all those Flu counts in one giant Covid basket. No one in a year and a half has been diagnosed with the Flu. Anyone with eyes and half a brain can see through your "misinformation". Covid is real but not to the extent you keep advertising. Do you have a political stake in fear mongering? If not then stop with the BS.

Of course it does. Because ever since Covid came out. It has included all those Flu counts in one giant Covid basket. No one in a year and a half has been diagnosed with the Flu. Anyone with eyes and half a brain can see through your "misinformation". Covid is real but not to the extent you keep advertising. Do you have a political stake in fear mongering? If not then stop with the BS.
Covid-19 is not "one giant Covid basket." It is its own variant from 2019 and includes its own mutations. The truth is that 19 does more harm than the others combined.

It would take you less than a minute at the CDC et al to learn the breakdown of COVID 19 and flu deaths and their source.

My only "stake" is in the facts. A habit of most Americans that you continue to ignore.

But I will provide some for you. That way you will know exactly what to ignore and where to hide.

Last edited:
You're right, killing 150 million people (2%) is better.

News has been reporting hospitals were increasing numbers artificially for the money "FUNDING." Also search for over weight or old people have a way higher chance of dying. I was one of the few that had the virus early on in CT, USA. My 2nd job is working for the school system. A teacher and 2 kids had the virus then me. It last 7--10 days. I'm 37 by the way.

Also one of the workers claimed he had it but caught him playing football with his friends at a local public field. Many people were lying about the virus just because you get to sit home and still get a check!

has its consequences.
I think you underestimated the impact of COVID. The virus don't have high mortality rate because patients have access to medical facilities. The death rate is higher in locations where hospitals are overwhelmed and people do not have access to oxygen or even ICU for some serious case likely due to complications. When you choose to let COVID run amok, it is a matter of time before the hospital get overwhelmed. That will have a knock on impact on people with other illnesses trying to seek treatment. Vaccination helps reduce the number of people that gets seriously ill, thus, not requiring medical attention. That's why countries are pushing for higher vaccination rate.

I'm betting you don't even know that a 98% survival rate of anything non cancer is absolutely horrible. Even localized early diagnosed pancreatic cancer has a survival rate of something like 40% now.

It's more like 100 people are going on a free trip to the moon in 5 years. We just have to survive, and 2 of us are 99 years old. lol. Who cares anymore.

All the strains of the flu have as much in common with each other as the many types of cancer.

A year and a half and I can't believe people still don't get it.

Thats funny because according to the official Australian Bureau of Statistics data not 1 person has died of the Flu since June 2020, not a single death!

So Covid19 has managed to illuminate the Flu lol

Car makers have done this to themselves. The chip shortage would not effect them so much if they didn't put so much technology into vehicles. Cars & Trucks do NOT need in dash touch-screen entertainment systems. IF they kept vehicles simple and functional this problem wouldn't exist.

There you go GM, solution to your problem.

Last edited:
Back