GM unveils the new Hummer EV, will start production next year

Humza

Staff member
Bottom line: General Motors had teased the arrival of an electric version of its iconic Hummer SUV earlier this year. The automaker has now taken the wraps off the monstrous vehicle with plans to begin production in late 2021. Interestingly, GM will initially build a fully-loaded pickup version of the SUV, called the Hummer Edition 1, followed by three more affordable variants that will become available from 2022 onwards.

GM has electrified the iconic Hummer with nearly the same enormous dimensions, only this time, they're accompanied by crazy performance figures associated with modern EVs.

These figures, as reported earlier, include a power output of up to 1,000hp with a 0-60 time of just three seconds. Hummer also quoted an insane and somewhat misleading 11,500 lb-ft of torque, though that number is actually expected to be around the 1,000 mark, which would still be enough to pull most things out of most places.

It uses an 800-volt electrical architecture with support for 350kW fast charging capable of adding 100 miles of range in just 10 minutes and a full charge in under 40 minutes. The only unimpressive figure is the Hummer's 350-mile range, which is considerably less than Tesla's upcoming Cybertruck that's expected to do up to 500 miles on a single charge.

In terms of powertrain, GM will initially offer a tri-motor setup powered by its Ultium battery tech and AWD in a convertible pickup variant of the Hummer called the Edition 1. This fully-loaded model will cost just over $112,000, while three cheaper variants will arrive later down the line.

These include the $100,000 EV3X arriving in 2022, the dual-motor $90,000 EV2X coming in 2023, and the $80,000 base-spec dual-motor EV2 that's expected to roll out by spring 2024.

With a formidable track record in off-road ruggedness, GM expects the new Hummer EV to be driven across unusual terrain and has equipped the vehicle with four-wheel steering to allow for diagonal driving in what the automaker calls the 'Crab mode.' There's also an 'Extract Mode' which lifts the EV's air suspension by up to 6 inches for navigating around tough obstacles with its chunky 35-inch tires.

Inside, there's a 13.4-inch main infotainment screen with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto support as well as a 12.3-inch digital cluster, both of which are the first to be powered by Epic's Unreal Engine.

Since corners can be tricky to maneuver with a massive vehicle like this, GM will offer the Hummer with its 18-camera Ultravision system, while partially autonomous driving will be enabled by the automaker's Super Cruise tech that's already available in various Cadillacs.

With pickup trucks being an American favorite, GM can expect stiff competition for its EV, especially once rivals like Rivian, Tesla, and Ford with its electric F-150 become available in a few years' time.

Permalink to story.

I think I was skeptical about this in the last article (I mean, previous Hummers were absolute trash), but after seeing more of the Hummer EV and the 2021 Escalade, GM may not be messing around. Escalade still had some wack interior plastics, but it's still a 10/10 - on paper and in person anyway.

WOW ...... at $112,000 as affordable variant probably won't dip much under $80,000. One thing is certain .... ain't going to be one under my Christmas tree!
Or my Christmas tree, on second thoughts can't even have a Christmas tree, :(

GM expects people who drive a vehicle with an eighty thousand dollar price tag off-road? I highly doubt many of these will ever see anything but pavement. More likely to see lift kits, ground effects kits, and spinning rims (are those still the in thing?).

This vehicles terrible barn-door engineering and styling approach sums up the state of the US automotive industry.

GM expects people who drive a vehicle with an eighty thousand dollar price tag off-road? I highly doubt many of these will ever see anything but pavement. More likely to see lift kits, ground effects kits, and spinning rims (are those still the in thing?).
Why not? Toyota watches people drop 50-60k on 4runners, and then they'll put another 10-20k in mods on them after that (if they're a real serious overlander). And that is ignoring vehicles like the even more expensive Land Cruiser. They won't be common, but they'll be out there.

No, my bigger question is what happens to the poor chap who goes off-roading and mis-judges his battery (hummer, or other SUV). With ICE, you can at least dump another can of gas in there and keep chugging if you get low. With an EV, you'll need a generator. Just watch. As EV SUVs begin to show up, compact 'rescue generators' or 'external EV batteries' will begin to show up as well.

GM expects people who drive a vehicle with an eighty thousand dollar price tag off-road? I highly doubt many of these will ever see anything but pavement.

... so exactly like the H2 and H3? I think their expectations might be based in statistical reality ...

----

Right away when I read the torque numbers I knew that was the geared down numbers at the wheels, which are useless for indicating motor torque.

In a Q&A with Vaughn Gittin jr. on the Mustang Mach-E 1400 EV, he was asked how much torque does it make, and he said around 2000 at the motors then said maybe 6000 at the wheels, but disclaimed that with saying they could make that number whatever they wanted at the wheels with gearing so its not a valid metric to use.

Back