Gmail loading emails problem

SNGX1275

I think this is a problem related to gmail, rather than my browser. But here's the deal.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This happens on any gmail account I load, it started last night - prior to that everything was normal. This particular instance occured in Opera 11.60 beta on OS X (10.7). It also occurs in Opera 11.52 on OS X. Messages load fine in Safari 5 on OS X.

Now before we all jump to conclusions and say its Opera. (I thought it was too, which is why I installed the beta).

My girlfriend was having the same exact problem in FF 7 or FF 8 on Windows 7. It loaded fine in IE 9 for her on the same computer.

I did some quick googling with time filter of within the last 24 hours, and saw someone saying it could be adblock plus. But I don't have that in Opera, and I haven't updated my urlfilter.ini in months, so it seems unlikely that is it.

So, suggestions?

hmm; FF 3.6.13 on XP/Pro has no problem with my gmail account (the old style, not the google+ stuff)

Wife's OS X 10.3 w/FF 2.0.0.20 (yea we know it's old) also accesses Gmail just fine.

No promotional stuff on either system :)

I tried Opera 12 alpha, and it worked fine. But it installs as a separate app, so that doesn't really tell me anything because it works in Safari and I just tried FF 8. Later tonight I'll verify whether or not it still doesn't work on my girlfriend's PC in FF. If the problem goes away for her, then I may just give up and use Mail.app to handle my gmail.

I wouldn't have even posted if it only occurred in Opera, but when it happened in FF on a PC it got me curious.

yes, that is troublesome. Check your social site settings (facebook, ...) and all websites with logins and be sure to UNCHECK 'keep me logged in' and/or 'remember me'.

Also go thru your browser cookies and delete all cookies for all social sites.

Get paranoid re tracking usage and this kind of nuisance usually goes away.

She still had the problem in FF 8. I'm still having the problem in Opera on the MBP.

I had her go through FF 8's privacy stuff and delete everything. Had her log into gmail, and same problem. She also said last night that it didn't work (same as my screenshot above) with Opera 11.52 on her system (again Windows 7) , but tonight it does work. That gives me a little hope it will heal up on its own.

Seems pretty odd to me that it happens not to just 1 browser and also doesn't appear to be OS or system specific. Apparently not cookie related as well.

Seen this myself in the last few days using Firefox 8, it seems to be related to ad/script blocking as when I disable adblock the problem disappears...

Good call caravel. I had seen that mentioned elsewhere, but didn't think it was my problem because I have to manually update the urlfilter.ini in Opera, and I hadn't done so in a while. But I guess google changed something that got caught in my existing filter. I updated the filter (also confirmed problem with the filter I was using ) and problem is solved.

I haven't done that on FF8 yet, but I did disable adblock and it worked fine, then I re-enabled and it failed again. Turns out the filter used by adblock on FF was also the same one I was using in Opera.

tl;dr - Problem fixed, was adblock related.

My friend had the same problem. Luckily he had planned to format the PC itself the same day, so the problem was easily kicked!

Back