Good enough for gaming?

Hi all,

I have a intel Q9505 CPU on a Intel mobo with 4gb mem (I will upgrade to 8Gb mem). I was wondering if I can just get a good video card for gaming or do you guys suggest a total new PC?

LGA775 is dying but if you are strapped for cash, spending $160-200 (assuming your PSU is adequate) on a card would keep you going awhile. To give you a performance reference, the Core2 Quad performs on par with the current i3's. If current gaming benchmark's of the i3 is satisfactory, then you are good for awhile. If you think you need i5 or better performance, then a new system would be recommended.

Thanks cliffordcooley,

I'll be buying me the GTX760 or R9 280 card. I'll be playing games that I can play with the current rig and save money to upgrade to a i5 and other mobo later on..

Apple MacBook Pro ME864LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop with Retina Display. It is best for games and movies also because its display is awesome.

Apple MacBook Pro ME864LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop with Retina Display. It is best for games and movies also because its display is awesome.

I would have to disagree with you on this one. It may be a good laptop computer for certain people, but Robertokarto was referring to a desktop computer. Looking up current cost of the MacBook you listed (est. $1300 US), Robertokarto could build a much better desktop then what that MacBook has to offer. Plus you cant really upgrade that much on a MacBook like you could with a PC desktop, so that would leave "future proofing" almost non-existent. Cliff had the best advice with: upgrade video card now and save money until you can build on a new platform.

Back