Good PC to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exhonour

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...S10107448&catid=10607&atab=3&logon=&langid=EN

AMD Phenom 9550 - Guessing its a quad core or triple
4G RAM - Tons of it
640GB SATA 7200RPM - Huge amount of HD space
ATI Radeon HD 3650 - Seems like a good card, supports directx 10, 512MB video memory, 725 coreclock 800 memory clock, released in 2008

Im only having doubts because it has an ATI card and an AMD processor, both of which I have never used.

Please post opinions, about the card, and about the PC.

What do you plan on using the PC for? I would like to know that before we go further in.

The AMD Phenom 9550 is a quad-core, 4GB of RAM looks like plenty, a nice SATA HD, judging from the size a WD Caviar SE16 (Very nice quiet HD). The HD3650 is a more HD Decoding type of card, it's for Media Center PC's and the like, not really gaming, you'll probably only be able to run games at Medium settings. This looks like a 110% awesome deal though, especially for only $649 becasue most entry level quad cores come in at upwards of $1000. :)

But first let's hear what you're going to use it for, first.

Wow finally someone replies back, thank you so much.

Before I said more, I want you to know im upgrading from an intel celeron d, 1gig ram, and a 7600GS.

I use the PC for EVERYTHING, things like web browsing, download huge files, to messing around with 3D modeling, and doing free gaming (usually free mmorpgs/etc) and games like COD4, etc. Im not a serious gamer, but I do like to game a lot, mostly some older games althouhg im interested in new ones too.

Check my first post here:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/252553-10-good#t1847864

I found some pcs but they arent that good I think.

Gateway, Dell, HP, Compaq, and Sony are all good as long as you buy in the upper half of their price range. Avoid anything cheap. Avoid eMachines based on their horrible failure record.
Get something with a three or four year warranty. The warranty can be more important than any other factor. Get a full version of Windows with it... that has discs so you can initiate fixes and repairs later.
It is just about impossible to get a low priced computer that will be reliable for more than 18 months.

Ironically the two machines that Iworked on this week were

1.a VERY old e-machine that just needed more ram and an update to 2000 from 98. It never had a problem other than a virus or two.
2.a $2000 dell XPS with a fried motherboard

In my experience they all break eventually.....

E-machines practically went bankrupt...with good reason... Gateway bought them, now Acer owns both Gateway and E-machines... And everyone knows that Acer just plain sucks..

And..umm.. The phenom is junk, as are Caviar SEs. They use crappy motherboards, RAM and power supplies.. You can buy them at Wal-mart... and if you can buy them at Wal-mart, they're not worth the powder to blow them to hell. hehehe. :D

The 3650 isn't bad, really.. It's not a top end card or anything, but for the average joe it will be just hunky dory.

In other words, you can do a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back