Good upgrade from an X4 760K

ace2001

Hi guys,
so my little gaming system has been running for about 4 years now and I have already replaced the graphics card(went from R9 270 to GTX 1050 Ti). Now I'm looking to upgrade the CPU which is the aforementioned AMD Athlon X4 760K. It's been a pretty decent CPU handles most of the stuff I throw at it but I feel like it's time for an upgrade. I am aware that I'll have to buy a new MOBO and I would really need the system to stay with DDR3 RAM so I don't have to spend even more money for the new memory.
My budget for the MOBO+CPU is about 200$ and I am mostly looking into the used parts market.
Also, I would appreciate if the CPU had atleast 4 cores. I use it for gaming 90% of the time so I am not too interested in high core counts.

PC specs:
CPU - AMD Athlon x4 760K
MOBO - MSI A88XM-E35
RAM - 8GB 1866MHZ HyperX Fury DDR3
GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti
PSU - Corsair CX500

Thank you for your time. :D

Well the only way ou can do some upgrade is stick with the used market. New hardware is all ddr4. Now its not really a good time to upgrade, ram and gpus are very expensive.

I know that prices are idotic and I am pretty much looking to upgrade in the next 6 month to 1 year, not right away. RAM prices are exactly why I really want to stick with DDR3 and I am simply looking for a good recommendation.
Thanks for the answer!

The only thing that is not mentioned it a CPU cooler. What do you have for a CPU cooler? the above post for the CPU does say it comes with a stock cooler but I would get a aftermarket cooler.

Here you go:
Mobo brand new: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128602

CPU: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V4SC8067

Under your $200 budget....at $171.98 plus tax and shipping.

Based on this, http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-FX-6300-vs-AMD-Athlon-II-X4-760K/1555vsm9072 upgrading to a FX chip of any kind isn't worth the time or money. I'd suggest to @ace2001 that he sticks with his current build until memory prices calm down and he can get a Ryzen or 8th gen Intel. The next gen Ryzen is around the corner too so there will be some good options.

Based on this, http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-FX-6300-vs-AMD-Athlon-II-X4-760K/1555vsm9072 upgrading to a FX chip of any kind isn't worth the time or money. I'd suggest to @ace2001 that he sticks with his current build until memory prices calm down and he can get a Ryzen or 8th gen Intel. The next gen Ryzen is around the corner too so there will be some good options.
That's why I don't rely on bencmarks....they're subjective at best. The hardware is never identical for an accurate bench test. What I have vs what you have vs what OP has (if we had the same CPU) and we all run the same benchmark test is inaccurate. As all the hardware factor in to the test. That said, the OP asked what mobo/cpu they could upgrade "while" keeping the DDR3 RAM and stay at suggested budget. Someone posted you couldn't and it had to be upgraded to DDR4 which is wrong.

I do agree with you on waiting and saving and going with a Ryzen setup as it would be way better in the end.

I didn't need the benchmarks to tell me that upgrading from a 760k to a FX chip will be negate at best. I was using the benchmark to back up my claims. While I understand that benchmarks don't tell the whole story, it's something to help compare the 2. Better than saying something is better than something else blindly. Paying for that MB and processor will show minimum gains at best and doesn't make sense. In my opinion, the OP, assuming his current build works fine, should stick with what he has and save for a true upgrade. Basically I'm saying with what he has, sticking with his current build makes the most sense when only upgrading MB and processor. He needs to save more money for a full upgrade to a current platform, AMD or Intel.

Better than saying something is better than something else blindly
I never said anything was better.

Paying for that MB and processor will show minimum gains
I never said/suggested OP purchase those. They are only examples.

The OP question was: can he upgrade his current mobo/cpu and keep his DDR3 RAM and stay under $200. Yes OP can.

Someone replied OP had to move to DDR4 which is false.

My suggested hardware was just the fact that the OP can infact upgrade mobo/cpu and keep the DDR3 RAM. I just did a quick search and found those. I never implied OP should purchase them. There are plenty of mobo/cpu the OP can upgrade to and keep the DDR3 RAM.

My example was just showing proof that OP can do so.

I never said/suggested OP purchase those. They are only examples.
My suggested hardware was just the fact that the OP can infact upgrade mobo/cpu and keep the DDR3 RAM. I just did a quick search and found those. I never implied OP should purchase them. There are plenty of mobo/cpu the OP can upgrade to and keep the DDR3 RAM.

My example was just showing proof that OP can do so.
Um, you never said they were examples only too, so I took them as suggestions. My bad I guess.

Someone replied OP had to move to DDR4 which is false.
No, someone said to sell his current stuff to buy DDR4, not to get it to use it with his current MB. That individual also posted the MB and processor to go with that DDR4 you mentioned.

I never said anything was better.
No, I did. I used the benchmark to help prove my thoughts on why he should not do the upgrade you 'suggested'.

Back