Google begins building out 1Gbps Internet to two U.S. cities

Rick

Staff

As promised, Google is beginning to build out Google Fiber in two cities: Kansas City, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri. When completed, the new city-wide networks will tether citizens to a fiber-optic backbone capable of delivering 1Gbps Internet to tens of thousands -- if not hundreds of thousands -- of people.

Google says it has measured utility poles, studied maps, surveyed neighborhoods and eaten way too much barbecue -- but the company has since completed its planning phase and is now stringing thousands of miles of fiber-optic cabling along telephone poles.

There is no word how much a Google Fiber subscription will run, but the company claims it will be offered at a "competitive price" to as many as 500,000 people.

At 1Gbps, Google Fiber is unlike any other Internet plan offered to residential customers in the United States. It will be 10 to 20 times faster than competing fiber-based services, like Verizon's FiOS, and more than 100 times faster than the typical household connection most Americans enjoy.

Kansas City -- both of them -- were hand-picked by Google based on a number of criteria, including a plethora of personal appeals they received from over a thousand cities nationwide. To catch the search giant's attention, cities performed a number of gimmicky publicity stunts like promising to tattoo their mayor and even renaming the cities themselves to Google. In one instance, the company even returned the favor and temporarily rebranded itself "Topeka" for April Fools' Day.

The U.S. is often criticized for lagging behind other countries when it comes to broadband proliferation, speed and price. In September, we reported that the U.S. was ranked 26th by Pando Networks in terms of broadband speed.

Permalink to story.

"Build out" is American for "Build", because it's not good enough to describe the activity they also need to know where it takes place.

How will their pricing be competitive when no one else offers that kind of speed in the U.S.?

But Verizon is talking about 1 Terabit. >.>
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sen6Zvmm-SA

Because its business and it will be cheaper than cable or other rip-off companies. Customers will knock on their door in droves... you'll see... :)

altecmayank said:
Why is Google getting into the internet provider business?

Google often does things to harbor good will, so that's probably part of it.

Also, by throwing unreasonable amounts of money and engineers at mass-scale fiber deployment, Google may be able to improve such future roll outs. Those improvements may encourage other companies to finally deploy their own last-mile fiber networks.

As people begin using faster Internet connections, theoretically, they can get more stuff done (ie. visit more websites and/or use websites they couldn't before). Theoretically, Google profits from this because that means they get to show you more ads. I'm not so sure about the pay off, but it's something to tell investors.

Google said:
Our goal is to experiment with new ways to help make Internet access better and faster for everyone. Here are some specific things that we have in mind:

* Next generation apps: We want to see what developers and users can do with ultra high-speeds, whether it's creating new bandwidth-intensive "killer apps" and services, or other uses we can't yet imagine.
* New deployment techniques: We'll test new ways to build fiber networks, and to help inform and support deployments elsewhere, we'll share key lessons learned with the world.
* Openness and choice: We'll operate an "open access" network, giving users the choice of multiple service providers. And consistent with our past advocacy, we'll manage our network in an open, non-discriminatory and transparent way.

The money you must have to do this is incredible. I don't see how their price can be competitive.

Having trouble recognizing English? "Build out" is a perfectly acceptable, grammatically correct phrase.
Just an unusual use of it, never seen it before in my life. In the UK we usually use the term "roll out", which I guess could be just as strange if you had never seen it used before. Having no trouble recognising English, thanks for your concern.

Guest said:
"Build out" is American for "Build", because it's not good enough to describe the activity they also need to know where it takes place.
Thanks Guest.

altecmayank said:
Why is Google getting into the internet provider business?

They aren't actually going to be an ISP. As Rick pointed out, they said the following:

* Openness and choice: We'll operate an "open access" network, giving users the choice of multiple service providers. And consistent with our past advocacy, we'll manage our network in an open, non-discriminatory and transparent way.

One.. one GIGABIT per second? That translates to a download rate of 128 megabyte per second! (Assuming the servers on the other end support it, of course)..(And even hard drives aren't that fast)..(Unless I did my math wrong somewhere)

Why not start in the silicon valley where their home is? What the heck is in Kansas and Missouri? Do they even have computers? I live in the silicon valley and we're always getting the short end of the stick!

Guest said:
Right! Or... could it describe a process? Like, at a guess, first you build a central facility capable of handling the traffic and then, working outward, you hook up areas of the city, the region, the continent, the world? Nah. That'd make too much sense and has no implied witless criticism of American technical usage.

This will hopefully put some pressure on the biggest rip off broadband company - Comcrap!

I hope Google brings Comcast to their knees!
Comcast wants $200 a month for 100meg speed in Michigan! What an "effing" joke!

Back