Google behaving badly

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertLionheart

Anyone else having trouble with Google? It is seriously slow and links that it has found often fail to work at all. Bing is just fine!

No problems in Arizona, as I have been using it steadily since 1:56 a.m. and it is now nearly 8 a.m.

It isn't PC specific and a friend in a local town is having the same problem.
Bing is the new M-soft search engine and is (ssshh Microsoft might be listening) much the same as Google.

Google is the leader, and Bing is Microsoft's attempt to play catch up.
But I suspect for the purposed AlbertLionHeart's post, they are just being driven from diofferent systems.
It seems likely that the problem is from the local connection company or server.

Thanks for the info. I usually use Ggle, and Bing seems to come up randomly - prbly from IE - but I guess its what you get used to.
I'll give it a go in future...

frequently a DNS can be manipulated with all kinds of fall-out :(

see this post re OpenDNS

I've set that into my router so all my LAN systems use it in place of the ISP dns :)

Thanks jobeard - that's not the problem as the issue with Google affects everything. Even looking up my own site or any of the ones I manage will find the reference in Google but the link in the listing refuses to work.
If I do the same thing with Bing it works perfectly.

ok, I understand what you have said -- however
every URL (original click or search or some link in a search result) must be
resolved into an IP address. This is done by a DNS request -- very time unless it
is in your DNS Cach. try this
from an admin account get a command prompt (run->cmd) and enter these commands
ipconfig /flushdns
net stop "dns client"
net start "dns client"
now rerun your google test

thanks jobeard - when I tried this I found out that the DNS client service had been disabled so I reset it to automatic and rebooted - google now behaving normally.
Still doesn't explain why Bing works OK and why a contact in a nearby town was having exactly the same problem! Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back