Google Chrome will block Flash content starting next month

Scorpus

Staff member

Chrome 53, which is on track for a September release, will be the first web browser from Google to block Flash content by default. Google has decided to make this change to create a faster and more responsive browser that saves you battery life in the process.

In a blog post on the matter, the Chrome team says that most Flash content on the web these days is loaded "behind the scenes to support things like page analytics". This is exactly the sort of content that slows down the web browsing experience, and is the primary focus of Google's Flash-blocking efforts in Chrome 53.

Google will be making further changes in December, as Chrome 55 will make HTML5 the default over Flash for all websites that support both technologies. If a site is Flash-only, Chrome will prompt you to enable Flash for that website when you first visit it.

These changes are all part of Google's effort to "de-emphasise" Flash in favor of HTML5 across the web. These efforts began last year when Chrome 42 made some Flash content click-to-play, which Google claims improved battery life. Blocking Flash outright in Chrome 53 is a more aggressive move, but it will lead to a better internet experience for all users.

With the world's most popular web browser looking to phase out Flash before the end of the year, the multimedia technology will be well and truly dead heading into 2017. Most other browsers have already announced some sort of Flash blocking system, including Firefox, Safari and Microsoft Edge.

Permalink to story.

Not very easy for, say, a senior citizen to figure this out. Also, the only one using html5 is youtube that I've found. Never liked chrome. And as firefox is getting sour with restrictions, I use brave. It's sort of like the same idea of filing taxes online when one third the nation doesn't have computers. I think people just don't file. Dumb for the government since no one is working and if the individual has investments they OWE the government money, like the rich which never work and always say get to work so people are slaves like in korea and china.

It's sort of like the same idea of filing taxes online when one third the nation doesn't have computers. I think people just don't file. Dumb for the government since no one is working and if the individual has investments they OWE the government money, like the rich which never work and always say get to work so people are slaves like in korea and china.

What? Accountants are a thing. H&R Block will do your taxes for you if you don't have a computer. Or ask your friend to borrow a computer for an hour. Online filings make it immensely easier for the 2/3 who do have computers, so in what possible way does this argument hold water?

Well I guess watching hentai on newgrounds is out of the question...

BT Sport also use Flash for their web player. I was prompted to install Flash the other day to watch the footie.

I read this news somewhere, Whats really wrong with flash that ever browser is now shuting them down?
Well whether it's through poor coding, or because people actively exploit it more than other video formats, it has a terrible reputation. A lot of people are pretty much fed up with Adobe anyway, over their Photoshop only by membership "Creative Cloud" policy.

There is some question as to whether Adobe patches it in an expedient manner.

I don't think even new multi format Blu-ray players will play Flash via disc, which doesn't help, as you can readily transfer many other formats on disc to those players. < (That might be worth fact checking).

Plus, it's old. Everybody knows new is better than old. Er, isn't it? :confused:

Back