Google denies its diversity programs are shuttering to appease conservatives

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: Google has denied a report that claims it rolled back its diversity and inclusion initiatives to appear less anti-conservative. Several Google employees and people who recently left the company made the claims, adding that the team responsible for the programs has been reduced in size.

Yesterday, NBC reported that a number of Google workers, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said they believed the reason the company was cutting its diversity programs was to protect it from criticism from conservatives.

Google did confirm that one popular diversity training program, called Sojourn, had been cut back in 2018. “One of the major motivations for cutting Sojourn is that the company doesn’t want to be seen as anti-conservative,” one Google employee familiar with the company’s diversity programming said in an interview. “It does not want to invite lawsuits or claims by right-wing white employees about Google discriminating against them.”

Google claimed it ended Sojourn as it was too difficult to scale globally since it was focused on issues of racism in the US.

The sources say other diversity training programs have also been cut, the teams behind them reduced in size, and their positions outsourced or not refilled after employees left.

In a statement to Digital Trends, Google said: “Any suggestion that we have scaled back or cut our diversity efforts is false. Diversity, equity, and inclusion remains a company-wide commitment and our programs have scaled up to match the pace of Google’s growth.”

Google has faced backlash over its perceived anti-conservative views in the past. Back in 2017, James Damore, a senior software engineer at the firm, wrote a 10-page manifesto called “Google’s Ideological Echo Chamber,” which blamed biological factors for the lack of women in tech. He was fired for writing the memo and later sued Google for allegedly discriminating against white, conservative males whose views contrast those of Google execs.

Damore and three other men asked a court to dismiss their suit against Google last week. His lawyer said the lawsuit has brought about workplace rules designed to protect employees with alternative viewpoints and prevent bullying.

In 2019, Google hiring stats showed 43.9% Asian, 48.5% white, and 66.8% men, while in 2020, they were 48.5% Asian, 43.1% white, and 67.5% men.

Permalink to story.

Being seen as “anti-conservative” is irrelevant. Have you seen the state of conservatism lately?

I completely support Google’s attempts to create a web browsing / YouTube experiment not poisoned by anti-intellectualism, racism and sexism. Their censorship of fake news regarding Covid-19and their stance against deep fake advertisements has been marvelous. I appreciate their strides to make the Internet equal opportunity for previously oppressed minorities.

Google’s job is producing products regardless what fringe lunatics criticize them. Let the free market decide whether or not their products deserve purchase.

I am a consumer concerned with just one thing:

a better product.

All other priorities take second place.

If workplace bullying and intimidation interfere with my bottom line, I’ll take my business elsewhere.

Last edited:
If you hire people people because of race or sex, it is sexism and racism. Because you always end up discriminating the opposite sex or other races.

It is just mental gymnastics. It is like teaching kids that Hitler just really liked and preferred whites and gave them more opportunities.

Google would sacrifice children to satan for profit if they could. I guess that's fine as long as the skin color mix is adequate.

Being seen as “anti-conservative” is irrelevant. Have you seen the state of conservatism lately?

I completely support Google’s attempts to create a web browsing / YouTube experiment not poisoned by anti-intellectualism, racism and sexism. Their censorship of fake news regarding Covid-19and their stance against deep fake advertisements has been marvelous. I appreciate their strides to make the Internet equal opportunity for previously oppressed minorities.

Google’s job is producing products regardless what fringe lunatics criticize them. Let the free market decide whether or not their products deserve purchase.

a better product.

If workplace bullying and intimidation interfere with my bottom line, I’ll take my business elsewhere.

lol how internet oppressed minorities.

Also, censoring covid19 content according to WHO official guidelines and sources.

Yup, great idea. So before WHO shared the human to human transition of covid19, it would be censored by Google and Youtube as fakenews or misinformation :D

Censorship never solves anything and leads to nothing. One teaches people of critical thinking skills instead.

As a white conservative male, I too celebrate diversity, including my own Portuguese culture. I don’t rely on my employer to organize it and it would be kinda absurd for me to blame my employer if it was scaled back. I do share a couple of functions/fundraisers with my coworkers in case they’re interested. Three of my coworkers do the same thing (one Indian, one Latin American and one African American).

Personally, the way I prefer to celebrate others’ cultural diversity is through food :)

I see no problem forced diversity training is absolutely pointless. I had to attend a course of diversity training when I worked for the state, guess what it had zero impact except to annoy me and make me care even less.

Let's be clear, hire the most qualified person for the job, if the most qualified is a white 40 yr old it's not racist to ignore the black 25 yr old, although the media insists it is. Forced diversity leads to an inferior product always has, always will.

a better product.

That's a painful chunk of doublespeak you got there. You champion censorship and race-based hiring but believe in a free market? THEN you go on to say you only care about the quality of the product. Wow, it must be a wild place inside your head.

We had a questionnaire go around at work from HR, they wanted to know what ethnicity, sex and age we are. Upon asking, HR confirmed we did not have to submit the information. Because as a young white male in the U.K. I have absolutely nothing to gain out of telling them. In fact, it could potentially prevent me from getting a job if my skills match another candidate who is in a minority ethnic group, or is a different sex.

I don’t believe your employer has the right to collect this information on you. At least they can’t force you to provide it. That’s what I would recommend doing, if an employer doesn’t know what your ethnicity is they can’t both discriminate against you or attempt to fulfil any kind of quota.

We had a questionnaire go around at work from HR, they wanted to know what ethnicity, sex and age we are. Upon asking, HR confirmed we did not have to submit the information. Because as a young white male in the U.K. I have absolutely nothing to gain out of telling them. In fact, it could potentially prevent me from getting a job if my skills match another candidate who is in a minority ethnic group, or is a different sex.

I don’t believe your employer has the right to collect this information on you. At least they can’t force you to provide it. That’s what I would recommend doing, if an employer doesn’t know what your ethnicity is they can’t both discriminate against you or attempt to fulfil any kind of quota.
I know(but can't tell the details, NDA is NDA) that one eastern-european company made a script for UK-based HR firm to "filter out" white males from job applications. Here's your equality. But people are silent and those who are not, branded as naz*, so..yeah. Bright future ahead.

Back