Google Drive outage reminds us that cloud services aren't perfect

Rick

Staff

Reports this morning of Google Drive becoming inaccessible sent ripples through social media. Shortly after complaints surfaced, Google confirmed Drive was experiencing a noteworthy disruption. The company subsequently resolved the issue and all Google services appear to have returned to normal. 

IsItDownRightNow showed drive.google.com quit responding to pings around 7:03 am PST. Purportedly, the disruption wasn't a global outage but it affects seem to have been fairly widespread. Reports of Google Drive 502 errors are both numerous and international.

For some, Google Drive's down-time spanned at a couple of hours, serving as a reminder that even the mighty Google isn't infallible when it comes to cloud services. Those who have a daily reliable on Google Drive's availability -- like educational institutions, businesses and Chromebook users -- likely know this first hand.

Although unconfirmed, some users claimed they could still access specific documents with direct URLs (e.g. bookmarks) or by having enabled Google Drive Offline prior to the service interruption. If you haven't already, enabling Google Drive Offline certainly can't be a bad idea. Even if you don't though, outages like these are pretty rare -- but they can still be a pain in the butt when they do happen. And of course, they do happen.

Incidentally, Microsoft recently experienced its own outage which affected users of SkyDrive, Outlook and related services. We later learned the outage was caused by an overheating data center. The exact cause for this blemish in Google Drive's uptime remains unknown, however.

Permalink to story.

Reminds/implies cloud services aren't perfect? This comment implies cloud computing has a come a long way. It hasn't. It still has a long ways to go.

Reminds/implies cloud services aren't perfect? This comment implies cloud computing has a come a long way. It hasn't. It still has a long ways to go.

A long ways to go how? in terms of availability? I don't know how long Google Drive has been around, but if they've been around for a year and have only been down for these 2 hours, that's still a 99.97% up time. I think that's pretty good.

Isn't google drive free anyway?

Even if Google Drive is free, ppl will be butthurt little babies about it. Much like their cell phones, it must be made by god and be completly infailable despite everything that is done with it. Watch, I bet we will see posts and such about how someones kid died because they couldnt get their report from Google Drive or some such drivvel. Its amazing that we continue to exist with the attitude of entitlment that is present in our society.

No system is perfect.. cloud I think is still not feasible globally..
problems: Data Storage Server & Internet connection speed...

No system is perfect.. cloud I think is still not feasible globally..
problems: Data Storage Server & Internet connection speed...

Uhm, yup. Thanks for that.

Honestly, didnt even notice the outage.... have everything backed up on a drive.

that's what is key, back up your OWN crap. Backup your backup.

That's funny. Not long before this headline hit the web, Drive works pretty well. Fantastic way to start the week!

Well, the only benefit from cloud services I see is that I can shift all the blame and responsibility when I lose my data.

Back