Google Earth on my iPad

It was working better for a while then it started doing that again. Is there a way to see how much memory I have on this iPad?

Touch screen, Settings, General, Usage, Storage. The iPad is changing and is coming now with more storage to cope with OS upgrades and better apps. Google Earth has to be a heavyweight app. A few videos, photos and apps will soon reduce Available Storage. You could remove some of the apps that you will never use and use the computer for Google Earth.

I have an iPad 2 & currently there are no apps I can go with out. After 02/01 I will be able to dump a few of them, google earth is not one of them.
Its too bad apple thinks EVERYbody needs the apps that are pre installed & UNremovable. There are 8 of those I'll never use & have never used.
I do delete unnecessary pics, but some I can't/won't.
Um, its kinda hard to take my tower in the car to use google earth, but thanks.

Did my explanation of how to check for Available space work for you? You must have the top of the range iPad with cellular connection over and above wi fi. I use a TomTom sat nav when driving.

Did my explanation of how to check for Available space work for you? You must have the top of the range iPad with cellular connection over and above wi fi. I use a TomTom sat nav when driving.
No cellular connection, no data, only wifi. But I know from experience google maps & google earth still can detect location when no wifi is available.
Top of the line iPad? I have no idea. I got it from a trusted friend.

That sounds loads so you'd expect Google Earth to be OK. I'm finding tech support to be excellent with apps so you may get answers there. Some of my emails have been answered within minutes by tech support. About the only decent support I've had with a PC was from Microsoft.

No I'm not saying that. Like you I'm pretty new to this but when an app is opened I've so far been able to find an option to ask for support. "Help" is probably feature somewhere if you explore within the app. I'm afraid Google Earth isn't one I've got around to yet.

Thats why I posted "Anybody got any ideas? Please" because I've done everything including shutting other apps down, turning the iPad off & back on siunce I first started this thread. Oddly enough, I have the same apps on my iPhone & no problems with google earth, more pics too. Strange. Thanks. :)

Find Google Earth in the App Store and read the reviews. Review No. 6 reports the same issue as yourself on the latest iPad and the reviews in general are not great. I saw right off a Feedback section in the description of the app so you can contact their tech support. Mind you it looks to be a freebie app so support could be slow. Best of luck.

Having spent time on this and as the app is free I've given it a run. I thought maybe it had some issues that Google are not concerned with fixing on a major competitor's tablet but it's fine on my iPad.

image.jpg
Find Google Earth in the App Store and read the reviews. Review No. 6 reports the same issue as yourself on the latest iPad and the reviews in general are not great. I saw right off a Feedback section in the description of the app so you can contact their tech support. Mind you it looks to be a freebie app so support could be slow. Best of luck.
I'm looking at #6 right now & it says "ALL functionality missing!? That has nothing to do with my problem. Yes, I am in the app store,yes, I tapped the iPad ONLY part.
Are you in the iPad ONLY part> Just asking :)

The low memory warning in that review is what caught my eye and the reviewer mentioning that others had the same issues. Have you tried uninstalling the app and then reinstalling?

Weird! On mine Review 6 is titled "Serious memory issues" by Hitman136 posted on 24th April.

Maybe we have different versions. Hold your finger on the app icon and all the apps start shaking and have a little cross showing. Touch the cross on the Google Earth icon and it will be uninstalled. Touch the Start button to return to normal mode. Now try installing the latest version from the App Store.

Last edited:
Weird! On mine Review 6 is titled "Serious memory issues" by Hitman136 posted on 24th April.

Maybe we have different versions. Hold your finger on the app icon and all the apps start shaking and have a little cross showing. Touch the cross on the Google Earth icon and it will be uninstalled. Touch the Start button to return to normal mode. Now try installing the latest version from the App Store.
I've done that before but am doing it again.

That's disappointing because I was pretty sure we'd cracked it. I've been looking round inside the app and there's a few things to try. Top left on the screen in the app are three horizontal parallel lines. In Maths they'd call it an identity symbol. Touch it and in Settings there are options to Clear History and Clear Cache. See if that gets rid of the memory issue. Note the Send Feedback option there too.

Within the app it gives the info that it requires 211Mb of memory so that confirms this should not be an issue. It also says that the app cannot be used without wi fi. Another thing to double check while you're exploring the app is that it is now version 7.1.1.1843 last updated in 2013. Is Review 6 now the same as on mine?

I suggest that we revisit the Settings icon on the touch screen. Touch General, Software, Update. You are checking the version of the operating system on your iPad 2. If it doesn't say 8.1.2 you need to update it. I mentioned that iPads now need more memory for OS updates and this one requires 6.9Gb so you have loads available to do this. Also charge up the iPad before doing an OS update because at least 50% battery level is required.

The reassuring thing about trying things out is that the IPad is unlikely to encounter any major problems from our efforts. ;)

Last edited:
That's disappointing because I was pretty sure we'd cracked it. I've been looking round inside the app and there's a few things to try. Top left on the screen in the app are three horizontal parallel lines. In Maths they'd call it an identity symbol. Touch it and in Settings there are options to Clear History and Clear Cache. See if that gets rid of the memory issue. Note the Send Feedback option there too.

Within the app it gives the info that it requires 211Mb of memory so that confirms this should not be an issue. It also says that the app cannot be used without wi fi. Another thing to double check while you're exploring the app is that it is now version 7.1.1.1843 last updated in 2013. Is Review 6 now the same as on mine?

I suggest that we revisit the Settings icon on the touch screen. Touch General, Software, Update. You are checking the version of the operating system on your iPad 2. If it doesn't say 8.1.2 you need to update it. I mentioned that iPads now need more memory for OS updates and this one requires 6.9Gb so you have loads available to do this. Also charge up the iPad before doing an OS update because at least 50% battery level is required.

The reassuring thing about trying things out is that the IPad is unlikely to encounter any major problems from our efforts. ;)
Ok, I've just gone thru everything you mentioned in this reply & have done it. My iPad is fully recharged since I plugged it in last night & haven't unplugged it since. I've also sent in the feedback in hopes something is done.
I might mention that although Google earth requires wifi to work correctly, it does work to an extent offline too.
Anyhow, although I am not holding my breathe, I will "hope" it works now. If not, who gets to growl first lol :)

Back