Google Fi and Verizon

matrix86

So my wife and I are paying $150 with Verizon for 4GB of data (rediculous!). We're thinking of switching to Google Fi. Before we do, I'm going to sign up so I can test coverage and speeds before we switch.

I know Fi has an "eSim" so there's no physical sim card, which makes switching from your carrier to Fi effortless. My question is this, can I effortlessly switch back and forth between Google Fi and Verizon? I want to be able to test my speed on Verizon, switch over to Fi and test their speed (whichever network happens to be strongest) and then switch back over to Verizon for my normal usage (so I don't miss any texts or calls). Basically, is it easy to jump back and forth between the 2 at any given moment?

I'm running an unlocked (Google Store version) Pixel 2. If I end up liking Fi, we'll ditch Verizon and port our numbers over to Fi...though my wife will have to get Verizon to unlock her phone since she bought her Pixel 2 through Verizon (despite me trying to convince her not to and now she's regretting it, lol).

You have the UNLOCK issue under control, but the issue will be the portability of the phone number(s). Just like our ISP connections are hosted, the concept is the same for our ViOP and cellphones. They just cant flip-flop but need to be migrated under control of the desired vender.

Back