Google+ gets Angry Birds, Sudoku, Edgeworld and more

KG363

Google wasted little time bringing browser games to their growing social networking site. Today the company began rolling out a gaming service on Google+, similar to what Facebook has been doing for years.

The search giant is making it clear from the get-go that they don’t plan to shove game updates and notifications down your throats like Facebook does. They want games to be “there when you want them and gone when you don’t”.

All game-related updates will fall under a separate Games tab at the top of your feed. This is great news if you hate constant Farmville and Mafia Wars requests.

Games for Google+ has started rolling out already but according to the company blog, updating the entire network will be a slow process that is expected to take several days.

google facebook games social networking

Launch titles include Edgeworld, Angry Birds, Sudoku, City of Wonder and more. Google Engineering Director David Glazer said that they have intentionally launched with a low number of partners in order to work out all of the kinks with the APIs and get end-user feedback before expanding to include more partners and games.

Google+ launched less than two months ago and has seen overwhelming success since its debut. The trendy social networking site lured 20 million users in just three weeks and likely has several million more by now.

Google has taken what they deem as the best qualities from multiple networking communities and rolled them into a single package. Aspects of blogging, Twitter, newsletters and e-mail are some of the key features found in Google+.

Permalink to story.

I need invite!!! Not a member of facebook or myspace so this will be my first Social Network LOL:)

I read the first sentence and rolled my eyes, saying "oh great, not this crap. I got tired of game requests in facebook and i'll get just as tired of them here. Way to ruin it, G+" But then I read the second sentence...made me much happier, lol.

This complete BS right now!! coz i don't see that extra bar on my news feed!!!

"Games for Google+ has started rolling out already but according to the company blog, updating the entire network will be a slow process that is expected to take several days."

Did you not even read the article?

Guest said:
"Games for Google+ has started rolling out already but according to the company blog, updating the entire network will be a slow process that is expected to take several days."

Did you not even read the article?

WHAAAAA????? Why would anyone read the article before commenting? This is the internet...who does that anymore? :p

"All game-related updates will fall under a separate Games tab at the top of your feed. This is great news if you hate constant Farmville and Mafia Wars requests."

I mean, facebook does let you hide/ignore all requests. But still this is one thing I do dislike and will be happy to leave behind if Google+ takes off.

It seems that Google listens to what users want and get annoyed with in current services like Facebook.
Nic to see they are genuinely trying to improve over facebooks interface.

Maybe it might take off afterall...

"Google+ launched less than two months ago and has seen overwhelming success since its debut. The trendy social networking site lured 20 million users in just three weeks and likely has several million more by now."

I wouldn't describe it as "overwhelming success"... number of users <> number of active users. For example me and a load of my mates have signed up to it (got close to 100 people in my circles now) yet theres only 1 or two posts a day.. everyone is still sticking to facebook. I think the amount of investment that people have already put in facebook is stopping people readily jumping over to google+. This isn't me saying I don't like it or think it's bad.. it just hasn't really taken off (from our perspective.. sure we make up a tiny minority but I can imagine seeing similar trends across the demographic).

As for the games, I guess they're a nice addition for those who want them and it's good they're being kept separate so you don't keep getting "mafia spammed".

Am I the only one who doesn't get the Angry Birds phenomena? I'm a big as gamer as their is, and gave Angry Birds a couple of shots, but it was just a basic, generic indie "knock the tower" down game. I've seen dozens of similar ones over the decades I've been gaming.

I don't get the crazy popularity of this game...

Yes cause heaven forbid they give you the option to play games.
I'm sure google is shakin in their boots from the loss of 1 account because he/she doesnt understand the difference between option vs forced into your face.

Ignorance: +1
Google+ : 0

TomSEA
on August 12, 2011
10:19 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't get the Angry Birds phenomena? I'm a big as gamer as their is, and gave Angry Birds a couple of shots, but it was just a basic, generic indie "knock the tower" down game. I've seen dozens of similar ones over the decades I've been gaming.

I don't get the crazy popularity of this game...

Nope you are not the only one. I don't get it either.

First came across this game in Chrome Web Store, didn't know then that it was hugely popular. Played it once and said to myself, "Why would anyone play this silly game? It's so common. It's just a simple game of aiming and catapulting!"

Later, much to my surprise found out that it is so huge. O.O

Back