Google Glass now has a home try-on program

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google Glass is no doubt a hot gadget right now but even still, shelling out $1,500 on the headset sight unseen is a lot to ask. That’s why Google is now allowing some potential buyers to test out the array of frame styles and colors before committing to a purchase via a home try-on program.

First posted on Reddit, the home try-on program includes non-functioning Glass devices in charcoal, tangerine, shale and sky as well as all of the frames in the titanium collection in different colors. The samples in question are real Glass units that were simply returned for whatever reason.

google glass google glass

As such, the USB port has been destroyed to prevent potential buyers from actually being able to use the devices. Strangely enough, a few of the kits that have been documented online did power up but none would boot into the OS. After all, Google can’t have people tempted to hang on to more than six grand worth of hardware.

google glass google glass

A $50 hold will be put on your credit card that’s removed so long as you return the kit within 10 days and Google includes a prepaid shipping label to send it back. Some people that have called the number in the above invitation were able to request a try-on kit although others have been turned away – likely a change in policy to reflect the increased call volume.

Google is expected to ship a retail version of Glass later this year that’ll cost less than the current Explorer Edition price. How much, exactly, remains unknown at this time.

Permalink to story.

Is Google Glass a hot item? Personally, I like the idea of Glass, but I still think they look kind weird or awkward to wear. Which was how I thought of Bluetooth ear pieces worn in the public when they seemed to be popping up several years ago. What do you think?

I can see potential in these things but I'll give them and the technology a couple of years to mature before I take an interest. Good thing for early adopters, I'll let them blow a fortune and look ridiculous first.

For $50 I would be tempted to hold onto them. Assuming you could repair/replace the USB and then flash an OS onto it to make it functional then you're all set.

You can do it with "destroyed" cell phones, so chances are it could be done here as well unless they really went above and beyond to make sure they don't work (like destroying the intricate robot-created circuits inside).

I wouldnt buy one of these until they are less than $500.
Ill join ya on that but im at the point where im very tempted to get my hands on a HUD style device since that has been a fantasy of mine every since I was young (Dragon Ball Z anyone?). I really want these to be the next big thing because I believe they could be very cool once they are available for a reasonable price. The explorer program has been going on long enough in all honesty, they really need to just focus on releasing these for general use since its quite obvious at this point they work and will not get much better unless they are fully released.

For $50 I would be tempted to hold onto them. Assuming you could repair/replace the USB and then flash an OS onto it to make it functional then you're all set.

You can do it with "destroyed" cell phones, so chances are it could be done here as well unless they really went above and beyond to make sure they don't work (like destroying the intricate robot-created circuits inside).

I am actually curious of that as well, I mean depending on how bad the USB port is I could probably rig something up (Heck if I could open it up, I could probably just get a new port and fuse it on). Would depend on if the internal components are damage though as well. Maybe I should actually try and get one of these.

Really? I mean, considering they are working on Rx Google Glass (as far as I've heard)... I've paid about $350 for just frames... add in the lenses... That's not too far off from your $500. Then add in the technology factor... that only gives them... under a hundred bucks to pack all that in there. Considering the people who are buying this have money, and would buy stylish Rx glasses in the first place. Their current price isn't really that rediculous, just not practical for the rest of us.

Really? I mean, considering they are working on Rx Google Glass (as far as I've heard)... I've paid about $350 for just frames... add in the lenses... That's not too far off from your $500. Then add in the technology factor... that only gives them... under a hundred bucks to pack all that in there. Considering the people who are buying this have money, and would buy stylish Rx glasses in the first place. Their current price isn't really that rediculous, just not practical for the rest of us.

Or wait, maybe it wasnt Rx glasses, but werent they pairing up with Oakley?

Both. RX and oakley + ray-ban.

Both. RX and oakley + ray-ban.

Yea, even better. For someone wanted the style and technology, their current asking price isnt really rediculous, and they even state that they are dropping it down from the $1500 price.

Recently I spent over £500 on a pair of prescription glasses. However I use them all the time. I don't think I would have enough justification to spend so much on these glasses. Does the cost of $1,500 include prescription glass in the Google glasses?

Changing subject I have just started watching Caprica which features amazing virtual reality glasses. I wonder how much they would cost if produced.

Recently I spent over £500 on a pair of prescription glasses. However I use them all the time. I don't think I would have enough justification to spend so much on these glasses. Does the cost of $1,500 include prescription glass in the Google glasses?

Changing subject I have just started watching Caprica which features amazing virtual reality glasses. I wonder how much they would cost if produced.
I dont think it includes the prescription glass. I think you have to attach your own separately.

Back