Google Glass to arrive by the end of the year for less than $1,500

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google’s augmented reality visor will reportedly be available to the general public to purchase before the end of this year. What’s more, the headset will debut for less than the $1,500 that developers and lucky contest winners are currently being asked to shell out according to Google product director Steve Lee.

The original plan was to launch Project Glass sometime in 2014 but given the recent hackatons in New York and San Francisco as well as the company’s willingness to let more people in on the action early, one would have to assume that production is moving along more quickly than initially thought.

The Verge’s Joshua Topolsky recently had the opportunity to try out the headgear at Google’s New York City headquarters. The journalist was shown multiple prototypes, including the very first crude design the team came up with nearly three years ago by Babak Parviz as an X Lab project. As you can see in the video above, it was little more than a pair of frames with random electronics attached to the sides.

Lee said Google is currently working on a reference model for prescription lenses for people that have to wear glasses but he said they definitely want to partner with others. He said they don’t want Glass to be a niche product – Google thinks it can help every single human being.

If Google is able to get the price down to a reasonable level, would you consider buying Glass in its current prototype design or would you wait until it’s refined to look a bit less techie – assuming you are interested in it to begin with?

Permalink to story.

Id wait until it didnt look so *****ic to wear on your face. And then id only use it ocasionally.
Actually, it would be funner to write software for than to actually use.

I might consider it once the price comes down, and if I can incorporate it with my prescription glasses I wear all the time anyways.
I think it could be cool when getting new glasses just to be able to add it on
"Give me the anti-glare coating, the tinting lenses, and Google Glass" :p.

Hopefully they will collaborate with glasses makers such as ray-ban, Oakley etc. to come up with something stylish. When it will fit into a pair of my safety glasses without adding any bulk then I'll think about buying it.
Wellllll unless they made some replica Cyclops glasses. Then I'd buy some just so I have an excuse to walk around dressed as a superhero....

I still don't get it... yes, it looks like it could be convenient to use, but it's got to do a lot more for me than just google stuff and take pictures before I could get over how dumb I'd feel wearing it. I would just feel like a pretentious fool... kinda like how Josh comes off a little (shave your beard, dude, you're trying too hard)

I would say, if they would incorporate into sunglasses I might use it in a car.

I know it uses your phone to via bluetooth to perform it's functions, so it seems like a lot just to avoid looking at my phone.

They hired futurist Ray Kurzweil to be Google's director of engineering. Soon there will be Google Implants. You get your android phone with 'IMplant Instant Messaging' technology and a Google Glasseye to see your screen with a built in camera. YOU will be the android.

Id wait until it didnt look so *****ic to wear on your face. And then id only use it ocasionally.
The only other less *****ic way to do this is implanting a device in the retina of your eye. It is possible but still being researched.

I'd be willing to pay $600 for a pair, but that's as high as I'd go. I'd like to see an Oakley version of this similar to the Juliet.

I hope this glasses able to hear and create subtitle for me cause I am deaf. I will love it.

Holy ****, that's brilliant. If Google Now will work on it better than it does on android now, you'd be able to SEE what others are saying, the mic will pick up their voice and you will see it as text on the glass. Either I'm just stoned or this will be the best thing ever.

Yep, $1500 way too much.Would be very keen if 500-600 range,until that happens ,not interested.

I would get one if it was like the cost of my normal lenses + 300-400 and they were less bulky or easily detachable from the normal lenses (e.g. when I play ball or something, I can remove the expensive part)

I keep seeing pictures of them and they don' even sit on your face straight. The heavier side always sits up higher - did Google invent anti-gravity?

..or they they make it illegal to point finger at people that look like *****s.

Back