Google is reportedly testing e-commerce features for YouTube

Polycount

Staff
In context: YouTube is already a heavily commercialized platform. It's full of ads, sponsorships, and brand deals, all of which are understandable monetization measures that help keep the platform free for everyone. However, it seems Google isn't satisfied with YouTube's current revenue generation systems: it is reportedly planning to implement shopping tools into the site as well.

The exact structure and design of YouTube's planned e-commerce features are not known at this point, but Bloomberg claims the site's goal is to "convert [its] bounty of videos into a vast catalog of items that viewers can peruse, click on, and buy directly."

YouTube's management team has recently begun to ask its creators to specify which products they're showing off in their videos. Products they "tag" in this way could be featured for purchase on their channels, though it's unclear whether or not they will receive a cut of the revenue earned through this on-site shopping system.

Though Bloomberg's information comes from anonymous sources, YouTube did confirm the report in part. The site says it is indeed testing e-commerce features with a "limited number" of channels, but it did not offer any further details. If we were to speculate, we'd guess that only larger channels have access to the feature for now.

It remains to be seen how well this feature will work if it is scaled up. We wouldn't be surprised if viewers, and perhaps even creators take issue with additional commercialization, especially if the latter group is unable to opt-out. We'll be reaching out to YouTube for clarification on this news, and will update this article if we receive a response.

Permalink to story.

Google only has a few successful apps/services.
Most just fail and Google just gives up kills it.

So the only option is to tack more crap on the successful apps/services. Even if that will make it worse.

They don't appear to understand their own Core Competence and want to turn every vehicle into a multi-streaming financial feed mill. Youtube is a great platform and the current ad's that are built into the video's are annoying but somewhat tolerable. Going this next step will turn it into another old B-movie channel, hardly worth the time to watch. Google is already fat with ad's the similar devices that give NO benefit to the end users. Another one of the reasons I go out of my way to avoid them ....

I'm watching David Attenborough's clarion call to save the natural world, and by extension our own, atm. When you're up against the world of commerce that feeds on consumption it seems hard to imagine. The consequences of business as usual are even harder to imagine though.

I'm watching David Attenborough's clarion call to save the natural world, and by extension our own, atm. When you're up against the world of commerce that feeds on consumption it seems hard to imagine. The consequences of business as usual are even harder to imagine though.

Attenborough is just another libtard trying to tell you how to live your life whilst living the highlife himself.

Back