Google launches the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro starting at $599 and $899

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Google has finally unveiled its redesigned Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro smartphones. The standard Pixel 7 packs a 6.3-inch FHD+ (1,080 x 2,400 resolution, 416 PPI) OLED screen that's coated in Corning Gorilla Glass Victus cover glass. It supports up to 1400 nits of peak brightness, 24-bit color depth and a refresh rate up to 90Hz.

Powering the experience is a Google Tensor G2 processor alongside a Titan M2 security co-processor and 8GB of LPDDR5 RAM. Buyers can choose between models with 128GB or 256GB of UFS 3.1 storage.

The dual rear-facing camera array consists of a 50-megapixel Octa PD Quad Bayer wide camera with f/1.85 aperture and an 82-degree field of view as well as a 12-megapixel ultrawide shooter with f/2.2 aperture and 114-degree field of view. There's also a laser detect auto focus system, a spectra and flicker sensor and optical + electronic image stabilization.

The Pixel 7 is rate for "beyond 24-hour battery life" and can stretch up to 72 hours with extreme battery saver. With fast charging, you can get a 50 percent charge in about 30 minutes using the optional 30W USB-C charger with USB-PD 3.0. It also works with Qi-certified wireless chargers.

The Pixel 7 Pro, meanwhile, steps it up with a 6.7-inch QHD+ (1,400 x 3,120 resolution, 512 PPI) LTPO OLED panel that also gets the Corning Gorilla Glass Victus treatment. The bigger panel supports a higher 120Hz refresh rate and a peak brightness of 1500 nits.

The same Google Tensor G2 chip and Titan M2 security co-processor power the show, but they are mated to 12GB of LPDDR5 RAM alongside your choice of 128GB, 256GB or 512GB of UFS 3.1 storage.

A triple camera array graces the rear of the handset. The 50-megapixel wide angle and 12-megapixel ultrawide carry over from the standard Pixel 7 and are joined by a 48-megapixel Quad Bayer PD telephoto camera with f/3.5 aperture, 5x optical zoom and a 20.6-degree field of view. The laser detect auto focus system, a spectra and flicker sensor and optical + electronic image stabilization also come baked into the Pixel 7 Pro but only apply to the wide and telephoto cameras.

Rated battery life from the 5000mAh unit is the same as on the standard Pixel 7: beyond 24 hours, or up to 72 hours in extended battery saver mode. It is also compatible with wireless Qi-certified chargers and works with fast charging to get a 50 percent boost in just half an hour.

Both phones employ a 10.8-megapixel front-facing camera with f/2.2 aperture, a fixed focus and a 92.8-degree field of view. Video recording capabilities are also identical – up to 4K 60 FPS from the front and rear.

The Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro are available to pre-order from today starting at $599 and $899, respectively. The standard Pixel 7 is offered in white, black and an off-yellow while the Pro can be yours in black, white or grey. Look for them to ship on October 13.

Permalink to story.

Did they make that camera bar on the back smaller? I want a phone that allows me to install other OSs on it and the pixel seems the most widely supported but that camera bar is a deal breaker. I might just have a shop put a new battery on my s21+ ans get another 2 years out of it.

Battery health monitor says that its' 4600mah battery is down to 3800 and I can certainly feel it. I run it in power saver mode all the time and I can get 2 days out of it with the way I use it. But compared to when it was new battery closer to 3 days.

I don't do anything fancy on my phone, only thing I want is a big screen and a big battery. As of writing it's been 34 hours since I charged it and I still have 37% left

Did they make that camera bar on the back smaller? I want a phone that allows me to install other OSs on it and the pixel seems the most widely supported but that camera bar is a deal breaker. I might just have a shop put a new battery on my s21+ ans get another 2 years out of it.

Battery health monitor says that its' 4600mah battery is down to 3800 and I can certainly feel it. I run it in power saver mode all the time and I can get 2 days out of it with the way I use it. But compared to when it was new battery closer to 3 days.

I don't do anything fancy on my phone, only thing I want is a big screen and a big battery. As of writing it's been 34 hours since I charged it and I still have 37% left
I have a 6a and the bar doesnt bother me at all.

With a case, its actually flush.

I have a 6a and the bar doesnt bother me at all.

With a case, its actually flush.
So my problem with that is I work heavy construction so I want the camera to be recessed to prevent damage from sand or material that somehow always ends up in my pockets. I'm okay with a camera bump, but the 6 was too large to be practical

The Pixel 7 does look good for the money these days. I went and got me a Zenfone 9 last month and although the Pixel specs do look good I have been too impressed with this Asus that I have no buyer's remorse despite how close it is to the Pixel's launch. It won't be a better fit for me than the Zenfone. The Zenfone is crushing it for my daily life right now.

I'll wait til January IF I order one.
Give the eager beavers a chance to find most of the early run bugs.
Plus maybe the trade in offer will be better if initial sales don't go as
expected. With the global tensions, winter, sky rocketing prices who knows.
My 6P is working fine.

I'll wait til January IF I order one.
Give the eager beavers a chance to find most of the early run bugs.
Plus maybe the trade in offer will be better if initial sales don't go as
expected. With the global tensions, winter, sky rocketing prices who knows.
My 6P is working fine.

Worth waiting - Google always has a $100 of at least once and awhile . Strange thing is kind of like google does not want to be in the phone business - producing so few Pixels - only selling them in a few countries .
I still have am Nexus 6 - still going strong - even though I bought a pixel phone for real cheap a Pixle 3 XL - has that slight pink screen when comes on - no staining - looks ok after 5 seconds .

Lack of security updates has never worried me - If Trump - pre-POTUS could use an old Sammy .
Seriously I'm not concerned - Hardly use Chrome on it - which is updated , don't side load , I do use it for 2FA .
I review permissions and only use well known apps
So not many attack surfaces - BT off , wifi off etc( I have unlimited data effectively - use less than 1Gb a month anyway ) .

Anyway really want Google to use it's expertise and clean OS to take on Apple - as their AI etc is a huge advantage

Back