Google, Microsoft and others form consortium to push 25/50 Gbps Ethernet

Himanshu Arora

Staff

A group of five tech companies including Microsoft, Google, Arista Networks, Mellanox Technologies, and Broadcom, have come together to form an industry consortium to give 25 Gbps and 50 Gbps Ethernet a push. The consortium was formed after plans to create official IEEE specifications didn't work out due to a perceived lack of support.

Dubbed the 25G Ethernet Consortium, the group yesterday announced the availability of a specification optimized to allow data center networks to run over a 25 or 50 Gigabit per second (Gbps) Ethernet link protocol.

The specification, which aims to support Ethernet-based transmission between server network interface controllers (NICs) and top-of-rack (ToR) switches, covers physical and MAC layer behaviors, including virtual lane alignment, autonegotiation, and forward error correction characteristics.

"This new specification will enable the cost-efficient scaling of network bandwidth delivered to server and storage endpoints in next-generation cloud infrastructure, where workloads are expected to surpass the capacity of 10 or 40 Gbps Ethernet links deployed today", the group said in a statement.

The specification adopted by the Consortium will result in up to 2.5 times higher performance per physical lane or twinax copper wire between the rack endpoint and switch compared to current 10 Gbps and 40 Gbps Ethernet links.

The new specification is being made available royalty-free by the Consortium members to any data center ecosystem vendor or consumer who joins the Consortium. The group expects that the technology based on these standards should be available in the market within the next 12 to 18 months.

Permalink to story.

Still nothing about Gbps broadband in the UK.... All this talk about 25/50Gbps when consumers cant utilize it what so ever...

Still nothing about Gbps broadband in the UK.... All this talk about 25/50Gbps when consumers cant utilize it what so ever...

Are you not missing the point? This is about servers to handle the bandwidth burden, and I'm surprised they don't already push for higher than 50Gbps. Just the whole issue of possible bottlenecks, are I'm sure the reason for this push. Seems that maybe 50Gbps is the limit, being they mentioned 40Gbps before? Who knows.. but still if that was standard it might be helpful. This isn't mentioning broadband, but more for the server end of things.

Are you not missing the point? This is about servers to handle the bandwidth burden, and I'm surprised they don't already push for higher than 50Gbps. Just the whole issue of possible bottlenecks, are I'm sure the reason for this push. Seems that maybe 50Gbps is the limit, being they mentioned 40Gbps before? Who knows.. but still if that was standard it might be helpful. This isn't mentioning broadband, but more for the server end of things.

If certain scientific communities or corporations can get 1.4Tbps from the UK to US I am sure 50Gbps is quite literally nothing to them, its already been shown that certain companies/communities have got far bigger localized network speeds whilst us lot squabble on 120mb....

What we need is 1Gbps to become avaible for less than $5,000 a month and this means worldwide as its pointless 1% of the world benefiting from it whilst everyone else is left with the scraps :/

As stated in the article, this is meant for servers, not home computers.

Dunno about you but 1.4Tbps connection is pretty damn fast why would they want 10x that? Oh ye sorry forgot you got a lot of pron the NSA want :/

Pushing servers is good but when everyone can benefit I think it would be more worth while....

As stated in the article, this is meant for servers, not home computers.

Dunno about you but 1.4Tbps connection is pretty damn fast why would they want 10x that? Oh ye sorry forgot you got a lot of pron the NSA want :/

Pushing servers is good but when everyone can benefit I think it would be more worth while....

You're really not getting this are you :/

Look, Servers need to interconnect and transfer data MUCH faster than we need our internet lines to be, they need to serve millions of people at a time, your internet line needs to feed 4-5 people? Sometimes more? Nothing compared to what servers do and/or need.

At the end of the day this still benefits us, ever tried to download a newly released game from Origin? Yeah, it's pretty slow, this tech will help with that...

You're really not getting this are you :/

Look, Servers need to interconnect and transfer data MUCH faster than we need our internet lines to be, they need to serve millions of people at a time, your internet line needs to feed 4-5 people? Sometimes more? Nothing compared to what servers do and/or need.

At the end of the day this still benefits us, ever tried to download a newly released game from Origin? Yeah, it's pretty slow, this tech will help with that...

Dunno about you but wouldn't call 15Mb download speed on origin slow... plus havent you seen what HP has done lately? their new tech looks like it will make ethernet obsolete in data centers.

So your saying 91Gbps data transfer across nation isn't also gonna be in the data center? if Esnet can do that I am sure they will find a way to do atleast 50Gbps in the data center...

If certain scientific communities or corporations can get 1.4Tbps from the UK to US I am sure 50Gbps is quite literally nothing to them, its already been shown that certain companies/communities have got far bigger localized network speeds whilst us lot squabble on 120mb....

What we need is 1Gbps to become avaible for less than $5,000 a month and this means worldwide as its pointless 1% of the world benefiting from it whilst everyone else is left with the scraps :/

$ 5000 ? Rofl, I'd pay $ 14 for 1Gbps line + free dynamic dns service where I live, but im content with 500mbps atm.

Dunno about you but wouldn't call 15Mb download speed on origin slow... plus havent you seen what HP has done lately? their new tech looks like it will make ethernet obsolete in data centers.

So your saying 91Gbps data transfer across nation isn't also gonna be in the data center? if Esnet can do that I am sure they will find a way to do atleast 50Gbps in the data center...

You're hurting my brain, Ethernet is still considerably cheaper to implement and is already being used.

You clearly have never tried to download a "just released" game from Origin :confused:

I also highly doubt companies like EA with their Origin servers will splash-out over double the price for HP's latest and greatest.

You really are against progress aren't you :p

You're hurting my brain, Ethernet is still considerably cheaper to implement and is already being used.

You clearly have never tried to download a "just released" game from Origin :confused:

I also highly doubt companies like EA with their Origin servers will splash-out over double the price for HP's latest and greatest.

You really are against progress aren't you :p

BF3, BF4, Simcity, Titanfall... cant get more "Just Released" then that... and yes 15mb/s constant each release date...

Considering HP's latest and greatest is probably $50k and it can match the $250million super computer I am guessing its ground breaking... specially when its the size of a CPU Box and has 640Tbps calculations per billionth of a second...

BF3, BF4, Simcity, Titanfall... cant get more "Just Released" then that... and yes 15mb/s constant each release date...
Consider yourself lucky, when Hardline Beta went up the servers here in the UK pretty much died.

Considering HP's latest and greatest is probably $50k and it can match the $250million super computer I am guessing its ground breaking... specially when its the size of a CPU Box and has 640Tbps calculations per billionth of a second...
You really need to go and read what HP have actually done, I'm not going to repeat it.

Consider yourself lucky, when Hardline Beta went up the servers here in the UK pretty much died.

You really need to go and read what HP have actually done, I'm not going to repeat it.

Im in the UK and I had no problem downloading or playing hardline and I have its interesting, specially where they can now place the ram any where like on PCI slots :)

Im in the UK and I had no problem downloading or playing hardline and I have its interesting, specially where they can now place the ram any where like on PCI slots :)

Then you didn't download it at launch, EA even came out that evening to say they've stopped access to Hardline due to overwhelming demand, it was horrible. This tech means a company that has already invested in a CAT6 Ethernet network can upgrade to something faster without changing much, end of story.

Then you didn't download it at launch, EA even came out that evening to say they've stopped access to Hardline due to overwhelming demand, it was horrible. This tech means a company that has already invested in a CAT6 Ethernet network can upgrade to something faster without changing much, end of story.

EA must have lied to us at launch then :/ and EA has a track record for being unprepared... just because EA are unprepared doesnt mean others are as well... Blizzard hasnt had that many issues besides diablo.

Some companies are fine at launch with a few minor issues others like EA are amazingly terrible...

Back