Google Nexus 7 (2nd-Gen) Review: The Android Tablet to Beat

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/713-google-nexus-7/]https://www.techspot.com/review/713-google-nexus-7/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

"Unfortunately there’s no microSD card slot to expand the storage, though I still found it to be plenty of space even on the 16 GB model"

I was excited anticipation until I didn't see microSD card listed in the specs, and when this review confirmed it, I sort of stopped reading the rest of the review. 16 GB enough to do what? music? movies? games? IMHO, that's not enough for any of those from my experience. On top of which...how much storage is really available for use?

IMHO, that's not enough for any of those from my experience. On top of which...how much storage is really available for use?

There's a 32 GB model available, and the 16 GB model has 12 GB free out of the box

I hook to my Nexus 7 a 64Gb USB key via a small cable, an application called Nexus Media Importer lets me navigate the files, even stream movies stored on the key.

I purchased one of the LTE versions as soon as they were available. So far I'm really enjoying the device. It's much faster than my Kindle Fire HD, and the stock Android is a huge improvement over any branded mixes of the OS. I find the camera to be surprisingly useful, especially w/ the built-in Google Keep widget -- just tap the camera icon and you can immediately snap a photo of something and set a reminder for later, or a reminder that pops up when you are near a certain location. That's handy for things like shopping or running errands.

Personally I find the volume buttons to be a little difficult -- it's one long bar and you press either end of it depending on which way you want the volume to go. I'm sure I'll get used to it in time, but I've already had a couple of experiences of blaring videos and frantic hunting for the volume down button. The screen is also too bright, even on its lowest setting, for comfortable reading in bed--but there are plenty of apps for that. I like Screen Filter, combined with the kindle white-text-on-black for reading in bed.

Altogether I'm impressed so far. I hope to eventually ditch my prepaid wireless phone and use this as my primary device. I virtually never talk on the phone, anyway, so voip + nexus may work out for me.

Actually if you consider that when the first N7 launched, the 8GB model was 199. The new N7 is 16GB for 229. If you compare it with the 16GB model of last year, it is actually 20 dollars cheaper at launch.

They display on the new Nexus 7 is stunning. Without a doubt the best 7" screen on the market. I really liked using this tablet even though I only had an hour with it. I am tempted to pick one up but I think I will be more likely to go with the new Nexus phone as I use my phone a hell of a lot more than my current Nexus 7.

If you are in the market for a small tablet powered by Android you can't go wrong with the N7. It really is a fantastic device.

They display on the new Nexus 7 is stunning. Without a doubt the best 7" screen on the market. I really liked using this tablet even though I only had an hour with it. I am tempted to pick one up but I think I will be more likely to go with the new Nexus phone as I use my phone a hell of a lot more than my current Nexus 7.

If you are in the market for a small tablet powered by Android you can't go wrong with the N7. It really is a fantastic device.

Man, competition is brutal.....for my bank account. As it is, I have too many gadgets around the house that I don't use. This Nexus 7 is on my list after I sell my Asus Transformer Prime.

Using it now, it's amazing. Don't know why tablets would ever need to be bigger, this is very convenient. It's the size of a book so you can put it down anywhere and take it around easily. Great screen, and fast too, although previous nexus 7 seems about the same speed, but I guess that speaks to how well they optimize the software. I've never seen either model hiccup. I don't know how people put up with iOS, it's constantly chugging.

Got mine the day this review was published, and the screen is amazing for this price, even in the UK where the 16 GB version costs the equivalent of over $300.

Don't know why, but it seems all reviewers leave out two (I feel) important features of the Nexus 7. The first is that it is one of, if not the only tablet that has a complete 'standalone' GPS built in. This means it does not have to have Wi-Fi or any other connection in order to use the GPS. And there are plenty of apps that need to know where you are!

Secondly, this unit has NFC (Near Field Communication) that allows transferring files, etc., by simply tapping two units together. It also enables purchases via Google Wallet: I have made purchases in stores by just waving the tablet over the NFC cash register terminal. Couldn't be easier. And, BTW, because of it's size, I can carry it with me, in my pants pocket, most everywhere I go.

Cloud storage is the answer now days. keep what you need on the tablet and put the rest on the cloud

Back