Solved Google redirecting and firewall won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

EbolaOnion

Hi everybody, I recently got some malware on my computer. At first, the computer was showing all sorts of pop-ups about how my system isn't protected, trying to get me to use their bogus protection software. I believe it was called Antimalware Soft. Anyway, I had to go into safe mode, download malwarebytes, and I ran it and got rid of the crazy popups. Then, after restarting, the computer got stuck in a rebooting loop where it'd get to the windows logo and loading bar and then start over, and would only boot up fully in safe mode. That problem was fixed by simply disconnecting my external hard drive, and now it boots up normally. It didn't use to need the external hard drive disconnected to boot up, and I don't know if that means anything, but it's no big deal (unless it means my external hard drive is infected?).

Anyway, now the only problems remaining that I know of are that A) when I do a google search, all the links redirect me to other stuff, and B) the Windows Firewall is turned off and it won't let me turn it back on.

So I came here, and followed the steps in the 8-step instructions. Over the past few days, I've run Malwarebytes several times, so I'm just posting the three that turned anything up. The most recent one turned up nothing. So here are my logs. (Most of these are pretty long so I'll just attach them all.)

Attachments

• mbam-log-2010-05-12 (20-46-49).txt
    13.2 KB · Views: 3
  • mbam-log-2010-05-13 (17-28-36).txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 2
  • mbam-log-2010-05-14 (16-31-11).txt
    1 KB · Views: 1
  • gmer.log
    4.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DDS.txt
    13 KB · Views: 1
Please download ComboFix from Here or Here to your Desktop.

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**
  1. Please, never rename Combofix unless instructed.
  2. Close any open browsers.
  3. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
    • Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
    • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.
    NOTE1. If Combofix asks you to install Recovery Console, please allow it.
    NOTE 2. If Combofix asks you to update the program, always do so.
    • Close any open browsers.
    • WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
    • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
    • If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.
  4. Please open Notepad
    • Click Start , then Run
    • Type notepad .exe in the Run Box.
  5. Now copy/paste the entire content of the codebox below into the Notepad window:

Code:
    TDL::
    )
  6. Save the above as CFScript.txt
  7. Then drag the CFScript.txt into ComboFix.exe as depicted in the animation below. This will start ComboFix again.

CFScript.gif

8. After reboot, (in case it asks to reboot), please post the following logs into your next reply:
    • Combofix.txt

**Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**

Make sure, you re-enable your security programs, when you're done with Combofix.

DO NOT make any other changes to your computer (like installing programs, using other cleaning tools, etc.), until it's officially declared clean!!!

Download HijackThis:
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download
by clicking on Download HijackThis Installer
Install, and run it.
Post HijackTHis log.
Do NOT attempt to fix anything!

NOTE. If you're using Vista, right click on HijackThis, and click Run as Administrator

Okay, I think I followed your directions right. DId you want me to first run Combofix normally and then drag CFScript into it to run again? Because you said "This will start ComboFix again." Anyway, that's what I did, so I have two logs from Combofix here. I'll attach them both since they're both kinda long, but the hijackthis one isn't, so I'll paste that one here. The second of the two Combofix logs is the one where I dragged CFScript into it.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 4:31:15 PM, on 5/16/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP3 (6.00.2900.5512)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgchsvx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgrsx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgnsx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winmine.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:5555
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Playfin ToolBar - {E3A80BA5-D967-4eab-891F-A49CADD92835} - C:\Documents and Settings\Danny\Application Data\Playfin.com\Playfin Toolbar\Toolbop.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Veoh Video Compass - {52836EB0-631A-47B1-94A6-61F9D9112DAE} - C:\Program Files\Veoh Networks\Veoh Video Compass\SearchRecsPlugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcxMonitor] ALCXMNTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LTMSG] LTMSG.exe 7
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [F5D7050v3] C:\Program Files\Belkin\F5D7050v3\Belkinwcui.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Documents and Settings\Danny\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [uTorrent] "C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [VeohPlugin] "C:\Program Files\Veoh Networks\VeohWebPlayer\veohwebplayer.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: hpoddt01.exe.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Symantec Fax Starter Edition Port.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\OLFSNT40.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1273848316281
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgpp.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - avgrsstx.dll (file missing)
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Free WatchDog (avg9wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe

--
End of file - 5208 bytes

Attachments

• ComboFix.txt
    14.7 KB · Views: 2
  • ComboFix(2).txt
    14.7 KB · Views: 2
I apologize for wrong Combofix script in my reply #3, but it turned out OK, because Combofix found infection by itself.
How is redirection issue?

1. Please open Notepad
  • Click Start , then Run
  • Type notepad .exe in the Run Box.

2. Now copy/paste the entire content of the codebox below into the Notepad window:

Code:
File::
c:\windows\system32\drivers\irdxgak.sys

Folder::
c:\documents and settings\Danny\Local Settings\Application Data\eylgpedtn

Driver::
vpsemghi

Registry::

RegLockDel::

DDS::
uInternet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:5555

3. Save the above as CFScript.txt

4. Then drag the CFScript.txt into ComboFix.exe as depicted in the animation below. This will start ComboFix again.

CFScript.gif

5. After reboot, (in case it asks to reboot), please post the following reports/logs into your next reply:
  • Combofix.txt
  • A new HijackThis log.

The redirecting problem seems to have stopped. I ran the Combofix with the new CFScript and ran HijackThis again. Here are the logs. I'll post again later to update you on whether the firewall problem is fixed too.

Scan saved at 2:40:27 PM, on 5/17/2010

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\ALCXMNTR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LTMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Belkin\F5D7050v3\Belkinwcui.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe
C:\Program Files\Veoh Networks\VeohWebPlayer\veohwebplayer.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\OLFSNT40.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Playfin ToolBar - {E3A80BA5-D967-4eab-891F-A49CADD92835} - C:\Documents and Settings\Danny\Application Data\Playfin.com\Playfin Toolbar\Toolbop.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Veoh Video Compass - {52836EB0-631A-47B1-94A6-61F9D9112DAE} - C:\Program Files\Veoh Networks\Veoh Video Compass\SearchRecsPlugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Documents and Settings\Danny\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [VeohPlugin] "C:\Program Files\Veoh Networks\VeohWebPlayer\veohwebplayer.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Symantec Fax Starter Edition Port.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\OLFSNT40.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1273848316281
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgpp.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Free WatchDog (avg9wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe

--
End of file - 5419 bytes

Attachments

• ComboFix.txt
    15.4 KB · Views: 2
All right, the firewall is back on. The only other change that has happened is that the AVG Free icon is no longer there in the right side of the Taskbar, after this most recent use of Combofix and Hijackthis. I still have AVG Free on my computer, and as far as I know, it's working, but the icon down there is gone, which is only a minor inconvenience. So is that it? Is the danger gone? If so, then thanks a whole bunch, Broni!

I just have one last question. Is there a way to prevent that malware from getting downloaded again in case I want to visit that same site again? I know where I got it, but AVG Free was fully updated at the time, and I still got burned. I'd prefer being able to visit that site again and not have to swear off ever going there to avoid the malware.

Combofix log looks good, but we're not totally done yet.

Uninstall Combofix:
Go Start > Run [Vista users, go Start>"Start search"]
Type in:
Combofix /Uninstall
Note the space between the "Combofix" and the "/Uninstall"
Click OK (Vista users - press Enter).
Restart computer.

=======================================================================

As for AVG missing icon, you may want to reinstall AVG. Infections will often cripple security tools in one way, or another. Since AVG seems to be working, you may want to wait with reinstallation until we're done with final steps.
As for preventative actions, I'll give you some hints at the end of this thread.

=========================================================================

1. Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

2. Go to Kaspersky website and perform an online antivirus scan.

1. Disable your active antivirus program.
2. Read through the requirements and privacy statement and click on Accept button.
3. It will start downloading and installing the scanner and virus definitions. You will be prompted to install an application from Kaspersky. Click Run.
4. When the downloads have finished, click on Settings.
5. Make sure these boxes are checked (ticked). If they are not, please tick them and click on the Save button:

• Spyware, Adware, Dialers, and other potentially dangerous programs
    [*] Archives
    [*] Mail databases
6. Click on My Computer under Scan.
7. Once the scan is complete, it will display the results. Click on View Scan Report.
8. You will see a list of infected items there. Click on Save Report As....
9. Save this report to a convenient place. Change the Files of type to Text file (.txt) before clicking on the Save button. Then post it here.

Post fresh HijackThis log as well.

I got up to the Kaspersky website part, but the online program keeps stopping and won't finish. It's hard to tell when it's supposed to be done, but I've left it running all night and it doesn't seem to finish. Here's the readout for one of the times I've used it.

The program is starting. Please wait...
Updates source is selected: http://www.kaspersky.com
File download: packages/kos-extras.jar
null

null
Updates source is selected: http://dnl-05.geo.kaspersky.com/
File download: index/master.xml.klz
File download: diffs/bases/five/avc/kavset.xml.qbo
File download: bases/five/avc/kavset.xml.klz
File download: diffs/bases/five/avc/fa001.avc.zst
File download: diffs/bases/five/avc/base187c.avc.5-d
File download: bases/five/avc/base187c.avc
File download: diffs/bases/five/avc/basecf1c.avc.kvz
File download: bases/five/avc/basecf2c.avc
File download: diffs/bases/five/avc/dailyc.avc.qqc
File download: diffs/bases/five/avc/ext147c.avc.h3u
File download: diffs/bases/five/avc/daily-ec.avc.t-2
File download: diffs/bases/five/avc/base173.avc.oml
File download: bases/five/avc/base173.avc
File download: diffs/bases/five/avc/daily.avc.lpe
File download: diffs/bases/five/avc/avp.set.g4a
File download: diffs/bases/five/avc/avp_ext.set.jnd
File download: diffs/bases/five/avc/avp_x.set.7nz
File download: diffs/bases/five/avc/avp.klb.pv4
File download: bases/five/avc/avp.klb
File operation failure: C:/DOCUME~1/Danny/LOCALS~1/Temp/jkos-Danny/engine/data/master.xml
File operation failure: C:/DOCUME~1/Danny/LOCALS~1/Temp/jkos-Danny/engine/data/master.xml

0 [ERROR: File operation failure]
null

Here's the readout for another run, the most recent time I've used it.

The program is starting. Please wait...
Updates source is selected: http://www.kaspersky.com
File download: packages/kos-extras.jar
null

null
null

Run this instead...

Please run a free online scan with the ESET Online Scanner

• Disable your antivirus program
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • Click Start
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Scan archives
  • Click Start
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push List of found threats
  • Push Export to text file , and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.

Post fresh HJT log as well.

ESET finished scanning my computer, but it didn't find any threats, so there was no "List of Found Threats" button or any log. I ran HJT again, and here's the log:

Scan saved at 4:17:42 PM, on 5/19/2010

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ALCXMNTR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LTMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Belkin\F5D7050v3\Belkinwcui.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\OLFSNT40.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spider.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winmine.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe

--
End of file - 5420 bytes

Your computer is clean

1. We need to reset system restore to prevent your computer from being accidentally reinfected by using some old restore point(s). We'll create fresh, clean restore point.

Turn off System Restore:

- Windows XP:
1. Click Start.
2. Right-click the My Computer icon, and then click Properties.
3. Click the System Restore tab.
4. Check "Turn off System Restore".
5. Click Apply.
6. When turning off System Restore, the existing restore points will be deleted. Click Yes to do this.
7. Click OK.
- Windows Vista and 7:
1. Click Start.
2. Right-click the Computer icon, and then click Properties.
3. Click on System Protection under the Tasks column on the left side
4. Click on Continue on the "User Account Control" window that pops up
5. Under the System Protection tab, find Available Disks
6. Uncheck the box for any drive you wish to disable system restore on (in most cases, drive "C:")
7. When turning off System Restore, the existing restore points will be deleted. Click "Turn System Restore Off" on the popup window to do this.
8. Click OK

2. Restart computer.

3. Turn System Restore on.

4. Make sure, Windows Updates are current.

5. If any Trojan was listed among your infection(s), make sure, you change all of your on-line important passwords (bank account(s), secured web sites, etc.) immediately!

6. Download, and install WOT (Web OF Trust): http://www.mywot.com/. It'll warn you (in most cases) about dangerous web sites.

7. Run defrag at your convenience.

8. Read How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic2520.html

9. Please, let me know, how is your computer doing.

I've done all those things now. Now my computer is running perfectly fine. No problems at all. Thanks a whole bunch, Broni. I don't know if any of the parts of the malware were trojans. Were they? Can you tell from the logs? Anyway, I might change my passwords just in case.

It looks like, from the sound of that "How did I get infected" article, that there is no defense against a virus-filled site. Can't updated Anti-Virus software like AVG stop infections like that from getting in while I visit the site? And, if I was really determined, what about accessing the site while in Safe Mode with Networking? Wouldn't that stop viruses or malware from auto-installing themselves when I access the site?

I'm glad to hear good news :)

Yes, you had trojans, so changing passwords would be a wise thing to do.

Can't updated Anti-Virus software like AVG stop infections like that from getting in while I visit the site?
No AV program is perfect, simply because new types of malware happen every day and also because AV program can always miss something.
You have to always use your brain, which is your first line of defense and scan your computer once in a while with secondary tools like Malwarebytes.

what about accessing the site while in Safe Mode with Networking?
No, because in that mode, your AV program and a firewall are inactive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back