1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Google removes eggs from salad emoji to make it more inclusive for vegans

By midian182 · 23 replies
Jun 8, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. Jennifer Daniel, UX-Art Manager of the Expression design team at Google, tweeted about the change earlier this week. “There's big talk about inclusion and diversity at Google so if you need any evidence of Google is making this priority may I direct your attention to the emoji— we've removed the egg in Android P beta 2, making this a more inclusive vegan salad,” she wrote.

It should come as no surprise at all to learn that several internet users expressed their dismay at the change. Comments in the thread include explanations of how healthy/unhealthy eggs are, why this is offensive to non-vegans and people allergic to tomatoes, world hunger issues (?), and questions over whether this is a parody account.

Daniel later clarified that the decision to change the emoji was to create an image more faithful to Unicode's description: A bowl of healthy salad, containing lettuce, tomato, and other salad items such as cucumber. This in turn led to several people noting that cucumbers seem to be missing from the new emoji—maybe this is to appease cucumber haters?

The British Egg Industry Council was particularly unimpressed. “Are the people at Google cracking up? We completely understand that vegans choose not to eat eggs, but in the UK egg sales are up by almost 5 percent and many people love them, so it seems a shame for the majority to be missing out due to concern for offending one group," a spokesperson for the British Egg Information Service told The Register.

Back in April, both Google and Microsoft followed in the footsteps of Apple, Samsung, and Twitter by swapping their gun emojis for water pistols, a move they claim was to eliminate any cross-platform confusion.

Many of Google’s other emoji are also getting minor makeovers. Daniel showed how the goat no longer resembles one summoned from hell, the turtle doesn’t look so stoned, and the face is more goofy and less like someone having a stroke.

Permalink to story.

2. MoeJoe

MoeJoe Banned Posts: 837   +440

L M A O at the 'triggered' world ...

SirChocula, wildrage, p51d007 and 3 others like this.
  3. MonsterZero

MonsterZero TS Evangelist Posts: 508   +275

I know right, let's make sure everyone gets an honorable mention award for everything they do.

4. gusticles41

gusticles41 TS Guru Posts: 296   +308

The Internet in 2018 makes me cringe sometimes.

5. Theinsanegamer

Theinsanegamer TS Evangelist Posts: 1,267   +1,367

Ah yes, what a noble cause, google being more inclusive and diversive by taking a few pixels out of an emoji. I'm sure those who were triggered by the egg are totally useful members of society.

6. Jeff Re

Jeff Re TS Addict Posts: 103   +57

But now it's not inclusive for me...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    SirChocula and Danny101 like this.
  7. gusticles41

gusticles41 TS Guru Posts: 296   +308

I would never put tomatoes on a salad! NEVER BUYING ANOTHER GOOGLE PRODUCT OR SERVICE AGAIN.

8. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,950   +1,320

The goat change is fine, but the turtle looks less like a turtle.

wiyosaya likes this.
  9. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Evangelist Posts: 968   +316

Looks like a turtlesaur of some kind.

stewi0001 likes this.
  10. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 4,032   +2,427

WTF? I want a steak on top of that! Juicy, delicious, with some prawns or lobster meat to make a good Surf-n-Turf!

Here's the absolute ambrosia!

[​IMG]

Yummy Yummy Yummy!

So Google wants a new emoji, ok, how about this one instead...

[​IMG]
    Yummy Yummy Yummy!

[​IMG]

Hungry yet?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    SirChocula, wiyosaya and MonsterZero like this.
  11. davislane1

davislane1 TS Grand Inquisitor Posts: 5,227   +4,359

wiyosaya likes this.
  12. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 1,578   +1,035

At first it's funny but then you realise everything went to ****. This is the modern world we live in.

SirChocula, senketsu and p51d007 like this.
  13. ShagnWagn

ShagnWagn TS Maniac Posts: 359   +240

Cucumbers and tomatoes are nasty and offend me. Take them out as well.

See how stupid this is? Snowflakes.

p51d007 likes this.
  14. TheBigT42

TheBigT42 TS Maniac Posts: 268   +148

So it offends vegans to look animal food products????

MonsterZero likes this.
  15. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,606   +922

But what about the tomatoes? What about people that get canker sores from eating tomatoes??
    Good grief! Put some eggs, bacon, bits of chicken or meat in there and tell the "triggered" snowflakes
    to deal with it.

wiyosaya likes this.
  16. MonsterZero

MonsterZero TS Evangelist Posts: 508   +275

davislane1 likes this.
  17. drjekelmrhyde

drjekelmrhyde TS Addict Posts: 286   +80

Who really give a shiat, outside of tweens?
    Looks at the above comments: Oh lord. The people calling the vegans snowflakes and triggered are the same that are acting like snowflakes and are triggered over the removal of eggs.

regiq likes this.
  18. drjekelmrhyde

drjekelmrhyde TS Addict Posts: 286   +80

I like eggs, but some are allergic to them, plus when I think of vegans, I think of salad eating douchebags

davislane1 likes this.
  19. davislane1

davislane1 TS Grand Inquisitor Posts: 5,227   +4,359

This is redundant.

From Webster's:

Vegan - n. a salad-eating douchebag.

Jeff Re likes this.
  20. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 12,205   +1,361

GREAT use of engineering resources (not). What a tempest in a teapot. As an R&D manager I would be embarrassed to discuss/announce this as a production of my team.

senketsu and wiyosaya like this.
  21. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 2,918   +1,429

All in the name of gagme marketing. Some are so easily duped.

22. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 2,918   +1,429

It might be different if gagme had done research or gotten feedback from vegans on this, but in the name of diversity, they simply decided that they knew vegans were offended by the emoji. gagme is suffering from a god complex. I find it best not to forget that! ;)

23. Mighty Duck

Mighty Duck TS Addict Posts: 125   +58

Facepalm indeed.

24. mbalensiefer

mbalensiefer TS Enthusiast Posts: 53   +26

First they come for the eggs. Next they come for your guns. Then they come...for you.

MonsterZero likes this.