Google sparks up production on its self-driving cars in Detroit

Justin Kahn

google detriot

Those early prototype self-driving cars Google gave us a glimpse of last year are going into production. According to Chris Urmson, Google’s director of Self-Driving Cars, auto builders in Detroit are in the early stages of production on updated versions.

Urmson says they are being developed and assembled at "a Roush facility" and are much more refined than the early versions we initially saw, sporting working headlights among other iterations. According to reports there is currently a team numbering in the hundreds working on the project, with members located in both Mountain View and now Detroit. It appears the Detroit staff is a mix of relocated Googlers from California and a a number of locals.

Outside of that, details are scarce, although it sounds like the first run of manufactured vehicles will be shipped to California for testing. After the initial run, Google’s fleet of unmanned cars will total as many as 150 vehicles. The company has come along way from the days of modding old Toyotas. While there is still likely a decent number of political hurdles to go over, the company is certainly pushing forward with its Self Driving car program.

Permalink to story.

Being in the South I did a quick survey of the breakfast crowd to see how many would be interested. Surprisingly, over 50% commented "If it ain't painted orange and called the General, we ain't driving it". When I pointed out that they wouldn't be driving it anyway I was told "well, what the hell's the point!". So, for the time being I think Ford & Chevy are safe!

Being in the South I did a quick survey of the breakfast crowd to see how many would be interested. Surprisingly, over 50% commented "If it ain't painted orange and called the General, we ain't driving it". When I pointed out that they wouldn't be driving it anyway I was told "well, what the hell's the point!". So, for the time being I think Ford & Chevy are safe!

In the U.S. these small cars will never be safe to drive since there wont be anything left when it collides with an SUV. And I don't think ur gonna give up on big cars any time soon...

In the U.S. these small cars will never be safe to drive since there wont be anything left when it collides with an SUV. And I don't think ur gonna give up on big cars any time soon...

Well the whole idea is to take away human risk factor out of the picture, so unless someone intentionally rams you the self driving part should be able to handle it. To me that would be the whole point in self driving vehicles.

I'll add myself to the list on where the hell do you have your breakfast =P

Well the whole idea is to take away human risk factor out of the picture, so unless someone intentionally rams you the self driving part should be able to handle it. To me that would be the whole point in self driving vehicles.

I'll add myself to the list on where the hell do you have your breakfast =P

As long as there are people who can't afford to buy such a car the problem of collision is there.

SUV hell son .... down here we got pick up trucks! Lots and lots and lots of pick up trucks ....... LOL

Back