Google Stadia could slurp 1TB of data in 65 hours streaming at 4K

onetheycallEric

Staff
In context: The idea of game streaming is certainly exciting, and while there are plenty of skeptics out there, it is happening. Just like Netflix and Spotify before it, streaming continues to transform the way we consume media. Likewise, game streaming will come with some serious ramifications for network traffic and data plans. We have yet to see how ISPs will respond, but I suspect newfangled "gaming" plans are on the horizon.

Google announced more specifics on its upcoming game streaming platform slated to debut in November. Google has now detailed pricing plans, some games, and most importantly, connection requirements. It's that last part that may give prospective Stadia subscribers some hesitation.

Google recommends a minimum connection speed of 10Mbps for streaming at 720p, while 20Mbps should net you a steady 60 frames per second at 1080p. Google claims a 35Mbps connection is sufficient for a steady 4K stream at 60 frames per second. That all sounds well enough, until you start to realize how much data those streams are using.

Per PC Gamer's math, the numbers work "out to around 15.75GB per hour of 4K streaming, 9GB per hour of 1080p, or 4.5GB per hour at 720p." At 4K, that means 1TB per 65 hours of game streaming, or 113 hours at 1080p.

With a big portion of internet plans -- depending on where you reside -- subjected to a data cap and most of them being set at 1TB by default, the advent of game streaming will warrant a certain amount of caution. Otherwise, gamers run the risk of incurring data cap fees from ISPs. Perhaps Google will have more to say about this closer to launch.

Google Stadia will release with a $10/month subscription, as part of the Founder's Edition that also includes a special blue controller, necessary hardware, and access to 4K streaming. There's also a Stadia Base plan that won't require a subscription, limiting streaming to 1080p.

Games like the new free to play Destiny 2 and Baldur's Gate 3 will land on the service.

Permalink to story.

I still don't see this being good at all. Also, being made by Google, expect it to be killed off in about 2 years like they do with every other service they come up with. 35Mbps to stream at full 4K? There's no chance it's going to be a perfectly clear 4K image. I'm not buying all of this at all. I'll believe it when I see it. 35Mbps is a download speed of about 4.3MB per second. I do not see this ever performing well at those speeds. Especially in 4K. Then there's the input lag. Hard pass.

So basically this won't be good for their home market. The US has terrible internet and alot ISP still use Data caps which has proven to just be a money grab. I'm not even interested in this product as I'm in Canada and have been on a unlimited connection for like 10+ years now.

I hope they are upfront with marketing for novice users that will be buying it. I see alot of non technical parents buying this for their kids then freaking out once they see that internet bill at the end of the month.

I still don't see this being good at all. Also, being made by Google, expect it to be killed off in about 2 years like they do with every other service they come up with. 35Mbps to stream at full 4K? There's no chance it's going to be a perfectly clear 4K image. I'm not buying all of this at all. I'll believe it when I see it. 35Mbps is a download speed of about 4.3MB per second. I do not see this ever performing well at those speeds. Especially in 4K. Then there's the input lag. Hard pass.

It can work if the user is close enough to the server. I was a beta tester for GeForce Now and I was in downtown Atlanta and tried it out over a gigabit Ethernet connection. I actually had a ping of <1ms to the GeForce Now server, so the server was probably in the same city. Needless to say, I had a near flawless experience. GeForce Now had a recommended bandwidth of 50 Mbps and that was only for 1080p 60fps.

I think that 35 Mbps for 4K will be a minimum. I agree with you that there is no way that it will look good on a 35 Mbps connection. I think we are looking at a 65 to 100 Mbps recommended for 4K HDR 60fps for Stadia. I think they said "35 Mbps" just to not scare people, since a lot of people still do not yet have the bandwidth for something like this.

I don't have data caps, that ended about 10 years ago in eastern Europe but my upload is miserable, I don't know when they say minimum 35 Mbps do they mean both down and up or just down?

I don't have data caps, that ended about 10 years ago in eastern Europe but my upload is miserable, I don't know when they say minimum 35 Mbps do they mean both down and up or just down?
Just down. Nice you don't have a data cap.

Cheers.

"necessary hardware, and access to 4K streaming. " You do not have to buy any hardware. You can use your computer. KB/M USB Controller Blue Tooth Controller..... All you have to pay for pro is 10$ a month no money down.

Anyways yeah that's a lot of data 2 hours of gaming a day if all you do is game.

Best internet in the NA/Europe zone? Eastern Europe. No data caps, 960 Mb/s for 8.5 euros/month !

Xbox Xcloud and Google Stadia coverage? Zero !

Good! Keep it up!

I like others have already commented do not see how 35Mbps will be a decent 4k experience. This is like an automaker advertising their vehicle gets x horsepower and torque, but then in the fine print that says IF you use premium fuel however they will recommend that you use regular unleaded otherwise you won't get their EPA advertised mpg. I have people streaming 4k content from my Plex server and any encode over 50Mbps which is about the only 4k worth consuming has bursts upwards of 100Mbps so friends that have cable or even fiber internet depending on the carrier that have 200Mbps accounts will stutter every so often. I feel sorry for anyone that is gullible enough to use this service. I don't have a data cap...if I did I would be screwed since my DL usually sits between 4-6TB and UL at close to a full TB, but anyway, even without my data cap I see no interest in this service.

I believe just down, upstream will require far less.

Back