Google to build its own quantum computing processors

Shawn Knight

Staff member

google nsa nasa d-wave quantun computer quantum processor

Google’s Quantum Artificial Intelligence team is partnering with a group of researchers from the University of California, Santa Barbara, as part of a project to design and build its own quantum processors.

Modern computers use transistors based on binary computing in which a transistor can only be in one of two states – on or off, represented by a 1 or a 0. Quantum computers, however, would use qubits (quantum bits) that can hold multiple states at the same time. For example, they can be a 0 or a 1 or both at the same time.

This flexibility could allow them to perform multiple calculations in parallel and in turn, be much faster than today’s computers.

This isn’t Google’s first time at bat with quantum computing. If you recall, the search giant joined forces with NASA to build a laboratory around a supposed 512 qubit quantum computer from D-Wave just over a year ago.

The Quantum AI team isn’t abandoning the D-Wave project. Instead, they will use theoretical insights gained from their time with the machine to implement and test new designs for quantum optimization and inference processors.

D-Wave’s authenticity has been called into question over the years as some in the scientific community aren’t convinced they’ve actually built a true quantum computer. It's a debate that still rages on today.

Of course, Google and NASA aren’t the only companies interested in quantum computing. IBM is working on its own solution while the NSA is rumored to be building a quantum machine capable of cracking most forms of modern encryption. 

Permalink to story.

they will use theoretical insights gained from their time with the machine
Those are practical insights, not theoretical.

Quantum computers, however, would use qubits (quantum bits) that can hold multiple states at the same time. For example, they can be a 0 or a 1 or both at the same time.
You thinks that referring to the basics of quantum computing is going to help anybody understand it? It is just as useful as saying that I^2=-1, which is true, but tells us nothing.

The truth is that quantum physics is the most complex scientific discipline that's just far too difficult to grasp. But we just focus on 1+1, because we don't want to look stupid. Right?

Last edited:
The truth is that quantum physics is the most complex scientific discipline that's just far too difficult to grasp. But we just focus on 1+1, because we don't want to look stupid. Right?
Just wait till everyone starts using quantum computing in the court of law. Everyone will be both innocent and guilty at the same time. The future where no one will be "innocent until proven guilty" or "guilty until proven innocent", due to the computational outputs of quantum computing.

Quantum computing seems to be a joke. And no one will ever understand how it can be taken seriously, until someone explains it in better detail. Better detail as in a practical application of how it can be used.

Quantum computing seems to be a joke. And no one will ever understand how it can be taken seriously, until someone explains it in better detail. Better detail as in a practical application of how it can be used.
That's the wrong sentiment. The idea is to make quantum computers provide the same binary platform as today's PC-s, hiding away the quantum complexity. Nobody is expected to understand quantum computing internally, and I wouldn't count on any detailed explanations to appear.

That's the wrong sentiment.
Understanding of how quantum computing can be used is never the wrong sentiments. That response is aching to telling a mechanic he doesn't need to understand how a wrench can be used, he just needs to know the wrench can and can not be used all at the same time.

"Better detail as in a practical application of how it can be used"

The theory is complicated and not fully understood. The application is clear and concise, however: faster computers.

The application is clear and concise, however: faster computers.
That remains to be seen, which leads to the following quote and the basis of my disbelief.
The theory is complicated and not fully understood.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Techspot has forward/published several articles on quantum computing. But unless I've missed it, Techspot has not reviewed a real world example of quantum computing. Other than confusing the topic and stating the single bit output can be 0, 1, neither, or both. Seriously how can that be interpreted as a real world example? There is no wonder anyone is confused and remains that way.

If I remembered correctly, one of the uses for quantum computers is how useful it can be for crytoanalysis research. But anyways, let see how it progresses. It's still mostly theoretical but perhaps more uses will come out over time as the technology become more viable and available.

That remains to be seen, which leads to the following quote and the basis of my disbelief.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Techspot has forward/published several articles on quantum computing. But unless I've missed it, Techspot has not reviewed a real world example of quantum computing. Other than confusing the topic and stating the single bit output can be 0, 1, neither, or both. Seriously how can that be interpreted as a real world example? There is no wonder anyone is confused and remains that way.

If you are looking for a demonstration of the science, I recommend reading up in the appropriate scientific journals. The basics of quantum states and the application to computer should be freely available.

Anywho, this isn't simply paper theory. Quantum states have been observed and studied in laboratories for years. The have also been used to perform basic operations. The difficulty thus far has been doing the computing on a meaningful scale that is cost effective. Simply put, the physical properties that apply to the situation aren't sufficiently understood to develop a reasonably affordable and effective chip.

Other than confusing the topic and stating the single bit output can be 0, 1, neither, or both. Seriously how can that be interpreted as a real world example? There is no wonder anyone is confused and remains that way.

This isn't confusing the topic, that's how atoms in quantum state behave. I'm mostly familiar with the concept from university physics in the form of condensates, so my apologies if I get something wrong here, as I haven't done any direct study of quantum computing. But, basically, when you supercool a group of atoms to a low enough temperature, their traditional physical property of existing individually at specific points in space-time disappears. Instead, they coalesce into a single quantum system, causing each individual atom to exist simultaneously anywhere within the system.

When quantum computing people talk about quits existing as 0, 1, everywhere in between, and at the same time, this is what they mean. A normal bit can only be 0 or 1 at any given time. A qbit, by contrast, can be 0, 1 or any value that exists between those points and simultaneously. It sounds nonsensically complex because it is. Hence why none of us are using quantum hardware – they don't understand the physics well enough yet.

Theoretically speaking, if they are able to develop quantum chips that function cost effectively (I.e. doesn't require massively expensive cooling agents, among other things), all of the top-tier computing hardware that exists now will be the computing equivalent of a digital Casio wrist watch from the 1980s.

Last edited by a moderator:
they will use theoretical insights gained from their time with the machine
Those are practical insights, not theoretical.

Quantum computers, however, would use qubits (quantum bits) that can hold multiple states at the same time. For example, they can be a 0 or a 1 or both at the same time.
You thinks that referring to the basics of quantum computing is going to help anybody understand it? It is just as useful as saying that I^2=-1, which is true, but tells us nothing.

It's not really all that hard, the basic working of a quantum computer is this:
A large set of answers is already computed and ready at a moments notice but you need to figure out how to ask it the correct question(s) to get the specific result you want.
It's almost a reverse of current computers where you ask a question of it and it goes and calculates the answer.

Psst, you can found this so-called quantum computer below the apple's new campus :D

Back