Google wants to deliver live television content over the Internet

Shawn Knight

Staff member

google streaming live tv

Google is in the process of meeting with multiple media companies to pitch the idea of streaming live television programming over the Internet. Such a service would certainly put pressure on cable and satellite providers like Time Warner and DirecTV at a time when others like Intel are also testing the waters.

People with direct knowledge of the talks say no deals are imminent although with so many tech giants all chomping at the bits, something is bound to change sooner or later. But not everyone interested in revolutionizing television is taking the same approach.

According to sources, Apple is under the belief that they must partner with existing distributors to create a next generation television service. One of the reasons for that has to do with quality assurance, we’re told. As such, an Apple television experience could ultimately boil down to little more than a user-friendly interface laid over top of your existing channel lineup.

Google, Intel and perhaps a couple other technology companies are looking to be bit more disruptive. One person said Google could end up just selling a library of TV shows much like Amazon, Hulu and Netflix already do but most others in the know say the search giant is pitching an easy-to-use subscription service that would deliver a bundle of live television channels and on-demand programming that would replace bundles from local cable and satellite providers.

Permalink to story.

If they offer 4K in H.265, then I'm in. Otherwise, I will stick with YouTube and torrents.

This has the potential to be pretty cool. One of the restrictions of live TV is geography, which the internet conquers. Meaning... I can't get the television signal for a Chicago Bears game here in Milwaukee. But with the internet that could be fixed. (Current Live streaming solutions are worse than standard def)

One problem though... there's a snowball's chance in h3ll that the NFL would let a whole ton of new viewers have access to markets they don't have today without getting a healthy cut. (On the other hand, the NFL is constantly looking for ways to sell more football.) Right now if you want access to all the NFL games live you need DirecTv's sunday ticket, which is (I think) like $300 a season. That means we're going to have to pay for it, and we're going to have to pay two parties (Google and the NFL... or NBA or whoever)

If Google can't deliver sports across markets then they might have trouble making this work. Live TV is currently free after all. And it's pretty tough to sell something that you can get for free. Bottled water industry notwithstanding.

it would be cool though to be able to get everything over a single box, which live internet TV would finally allow.

It would be cool if I could watch every University of Michigan football game without having to subscribe to ABC, ESPN, FoxSportsDet, and Big 10 Network. Big 10 is usually only available to larger packages so I have to get 300+ terrible channels just to get the channel that features about half of the games I want to watch.

I am all for new television models and medium's but I would rather Google not take the reigns on this one. Google is becoming a behemoth and I don't need to use anymore of their services. Having one company with such power will hurt in the long run. The only problem is there are very few other companies who have the clout to pull something like this off.

Yeah well and so is Apple and Intel. I'm sure something is going to happen now that all the major players are meeting. Wait... where is Microsoft... hmm maybe they are keeping quite their meetings... I look forward to more in the game. Free the content from the pipes I say!

Back