Google's Eric Schmidt writes guide on converting from iPhone to Android

Himanshu Arora

Staff

google eric schmidt android iphone

Google's executive chairman Eric Schmidt took to Google+ this weekend to share a step-by-step guide on converting from iPhone to Android. "You will switch from iPhone to Android and never switch back as everything will be in the cloud, backed up, and there are so many choices for you", said Schmidt in the post.

The guide, which is fairly detailed, starts off talking about the pros of Android-based phones suggesting that they are faster, have better screens and a much more intuitive interface than the competition. He cites a few high profile devices like the Nexus 5, Galaxy S4 and Droid Ultra in support of the argument.

Schmidt's guide, which assumes all iPhone users also use Macs, then lists every step required for converting to Android. These are divided into four sections: Set up the Android phone, Update iPhone or iPad, Connect iTunes music to Google and pulling the SIM card out of your iPhone and into your new Android phone. Not exactly anything that would make the average tech enthusiast sweat.

Towards the end of the guide, Schmidt recommends users to enable two-factor authentication to make their Gmail and Google accounts more secure and ditching Safari for the safer and free Chrome web browser.

Not surprisingly, he also takes the opportunity to make the case for Android-based smartphones as great Christmas presents this Holiday season -- and a bunch of us agree. The advise is certainly well-timed as smartphone purchases will be on rise over the next few weeks.

Permalink to story.

Surely a video would've been better. Apple users aren't the most intelligent people in the world and some may struggle to understand his guide.

Surely a video would've been better. Apple users aren't the most intelligent people in the world and some may struggle to understand his guide.

Sadly I have to somewhat agree, most people I know who have iPhones bought them not because they knew it was better but because their friends had them and because they were free with contracts. Most have no idea of what the phones can actually do and how limited they can sometimes be vs an Android phone. The one thing that always gets them hook line and sinker is the number of apps iOS has vs Android but in reality most people don't even use most of those apps and are likely to find Android alternatives or versions as well. And we are not talking about tablets so tablet-ready apps don't count in this argument. My wife is one who asked me for an iPad because of a game or two not found on Android. I love her but I am not gonna waste my money just for some games.

The beauty of the whole thing is, no matter the reason for their purchase of an iphone with the whole "android is better" argument, or how stupid or ignorant you think they are for purchasing one instead of an android phone. They are allowed to do that...with their money. I am yet to understand why how they spend their money matters to people. I just don't it :confused: can someone explain it to me?

Sadly I have to somewhat agree, most people I know who have iPhones bought them not because they knew it was better but because their friends had them and because they were free with contracts. Most have no idea of what the phones can actually do and how limited they can sometimes be vs an Android phone. The one thing that always gets them hook line and sinker is the number of apps iOS has vs Android but in reality most people don't even use most of those apps and are likely to find Android alternatives or versions as well. And we are not talking about tablets so tablet-ready apps don't count in this argument. My wife is one who asked me for an iPad because of a game or two not found on Android. I love her but I am not gonna waste my money just for some games.

Personally I don't have a problem with Apple products, in fact I quite like them. It's the company I detest for many reasons the main one being the unashamedly overcharging of their products. If people think they get a fair deal by buying their products, good luck to them.

Sadly I have to somewhat agree, most people I know who have Android bought them not because they knew it was better but because their friends had them and because they were free with contracts. Most have no idea of what the phones can actually do and how limited they can sometimes be vs an Windows phone. The one thing that always gets them hook line and sinker is the number of apps Android has vs Windows but in reality most people don't even use most of those apps and are likely to find Windows alternatives or versions as well. And we are not talking about tablets so tablet-ready apps don't count in this argument. My wife is one who asked me for an Android because of a game or two not found on Windows. I love her but I am not gonna waste my money just for some games.
Fixed it for you... See? You can play that card anyway you like. Most people follow the herd blindly without ever actually trying something new, or different.

This is, in general, a good guide. But it leaves a lot of really great phones out of the first paragraph. HTC, Sony, Motorola, LG, and probably many others that I'm leaving off. Yup, I'm a hypocrite, but I am not representing my business in a message to the masses. He probably should have just said to check with your sales representative in your local stores for great Android phone suggestions.

He's flying that geek flag pretty high though! His article is missing a lot of pictures and video that the iPhone people would be accustomed to. Mostly a geek would be interested in reading and comprehend that much technical jargon ;)

I don't understand why Android users feel the need to Call apple users.. sheep, or stupid.. the bottom line.. is there are lots of people who want a simple easy to use, works right out of the box solution.. they don't want to spent day's, weeks, years.. messing with every inner working part of their phone.. Android is great.. and if it works for you then good on you.. but Apple, Microsoft and Blackberry are all viable alternatives to Android.. they all have their pluses and minuses.. To blindly claim that what you use is "THE BEST" and everyone else is stupid for not using it. Makes you just as bad or even worse then the original iSheep you love to hate. In conclusion.. Fandroids have turned more annoying than iSheep.. Deal with it..

I'm been using the iOS since 3G phones ..and have not found anything better to replace it.

was eyeing the Nexus 4 for a long time .. but when I tried to use a Samsung.. I felt like I had 10 broken fingers and two broken legs .. anything I wanted to do .. I felt like I was fighting the phone.

mind you never tired the nexus 4 in real life ..and all android experience was just Samsung .. and who knows all the handy cap could of been all Samsung UI ...who knows.

Don't want to risk it .. buy a phone and have to be frustrated just to work it.

Guest said:
I don't understand why Android users feel the need to Call apple users.. sheep, or stupid..

Because Android users are jealous, plain and simple.

Back