GoPro unveils three new action cameras covering all price points

Shawn Knight

Staff member

GoPro is starting off the week on the right foot with the introduction of three new action cameras covering the entire spectrum of price points.

gopro htc gopro hero action camera gopro hero4 black hero4 black hero4 silver

The GoPro Hero4 Black is the company’s new flagship. With a speedier processor under the hood that’s said to be twice as fast as its predecessor, the Hero4 Black is capable of recording 4K video at up to 30 frames per second, 2.7K at 50 frames per second and 1080p HD video at 120 frames per second. It can also snap 12-megapixel photos although its $499 price tag is a bit steep – even for GoPro.

The shining star of the bunch may end up being the $399 Hero4 Silver as it features something that fans have been requesting for years: an LCD screen for footage playback. Interestingly enough, the screen didn’t make it to the Hero4 Black as 4K footage would have heated up the camera and made it inoperable.

GoPro’s new entry-level model, known simply as the GoPro Hero, is capable of capturing 1080p HD video at 30 frames per second, 720p video at 60 frames per second and five-megapixel stills at up to five frames a second. Expect to pay $129 for the opportunity.

Given the capabilities of these new cameras, it’ll be interesting to see what HTC brings to the table in terms of raw specifications with their rumored action camera.

All three cameras as well as mounts and accessories will be available for purchase starting October 5. 

Permalink to story.

So that's why their stock is up like 10% today...

I wonder if this type of camera will be the next 'must have' gadget for the 18-34 crowd. Apple, Samsung, and Google have been chasing each other around trying to convince us we need wearable glasses and watches and who knows what else... meanwhile GoPro is schooling them all with these simple wearable HD cameras with a fish-eye lens.

This is what technology is supposed to do. Not just find a new way to do something we already do, like internet on our glasses instead of our phone. But find something new altogether...like make a highlight video of your vacation, complete with footage para-sailing and snorkeling.

Damn, I like that price point on the low end model. In July I got a Hero 3+ Silver, I knew the new ones were around the corner, but I didn't want to wait. At the price though, that $129 one is pretty awesome.

The most marketable thing about this company is their name, seriously.

All else is illusion, or delusion.

The most marketable thing about this company is their name, seriously.

All else is illusion, or delusion.
They do have brand recognition, but they do because they are the best in the market. There are tons of reviews comparing GoPros to the competition, the GoPros are better.

Back