Got Antivirus XP, ran Malwarebytes, now No Malware but no internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got the Antivirus XP malware, and begun to follow the 8 steps this site recommends. I got down to downloading the Malwarebytes software and running it as you suggested, and sure enough it got rid of the malware.

The trouble is (and it's a lot worse than having the virus) it's also got rid of my internet access.

I am still connected to the wireless router and other laptops in my house can still access the internet, but since I ran Malwarebytes it's messed with my connection. Please can someone help me with this - I am sure it has happened to lots of other people?

I have tried quite a few things after completing a Google search but after 5 hours of tearing my hair out and getting nowhere I am at my wits end. I certainly wish I had never downloaded Malwarebytes!

Please help me :confused:

Antivirus XP is a rogue anti-spyware program - a fake spyware remover, which uses trojans, such as Zlob or Vundo, to enter the system

Perform each of the following Run commands individually (ie followed by ok)

Start->Run->

regsvr32 /u %program_files%\AntivirusXPPro2009\microsoft.vc80.crt\msvcm80.dll
regsvr32 /u %program_files%\AntivirusXPPro2009\pthreadvc2.dll
regsvr32 /u %program_files%\AntivirusXPPro2009\avengn.dll
regsvr32 /u %program_files%\AntivirusXPPro2009\microsoft.vc80.crt\msvcr80.dll

Download Combofix (note you will need to copy this to the infected computer without Internet access, or try restarting first to see if you now have Internet availability)
Lots of info on its use h e r e
Direct download h e r e

Locate the downloaded Combofix . Double click on it to run, answering any prompts along the way
Note: during Combofix scan (lasting up to 10mins) your Desktop and clock may reset (all normal)
ComboFix will also restart your computer (eventually) and then (eventually) create a log

Save this log file to be attached to a new reply

Then continue UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions
Note Avira Antivirus preferred as first install option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back