GPU Availability and Pricing Update, April 2022: Inching Ever Closer to MSRP

Yeah this is perfect. Now alot of people will be upgrading and I will replace my 3080 Ti in 6 months with a 4000 series card, which then will have lower demand.

It seems it's just better to wait for next gen. By fall, mining will be pretty much dead, so, unless China invades Taiwan or some other crazy random sh!t, MSRP is a given. It's better even if you won't have enough money, because there's going to be lots of bargains on used cards.

In general, I‘d say that even msrp is too high a price for current gen cards considering how long they‘ve been on the market.

Personally, I find it probable that prices will drop even further, so not buying right now seems like the best approach.

The oldest models, such as the RTX 3080 and RTX 3070, are still among the most overpriced cards in the line-up as those MSRPs are looking particularly unrealistic in the current market.

Some have been saying those msrp were unrealistic from the start….they did their job though, sadly.

If you remove the Ampere cards with the most realistic msrp - the 3080Ti and 3090Ti - the remaining line up is still 36% over msrp.

It seems it's just better to wait for next gen. By fall, mining will be pretty much dead, so, unless China invades Taiwan or some other crazy random sh!t, MSRP is a given. It's better even if you won't have enough money, because there's going to be lots of bargains on used cards.

Some people have waited for 1-2 years with no GPU or kept using an outdated GPU. Alot of people will buy current gen if price drops to MSRP level.

4000 series will start with high-end cards, as usual. Very few gamers actually buy the high-end cards. They will gobble up 3000 series for a long time. I expect 4090 and 4080 by Sep/Oct and then 4070/4060Ti 1-2 months after like last itme. With 4070 probably around 3090 Ti performance, maybe even 4060 Ti will get that.

3000 series are being produced along with 4000 to meet demand. GPU prices will come down for sure in 2023+
3000 series don't go EoL, but will live on to meet demand. I expect higher end SKUs to die fast tho. No-one will be buying 3090/3090Ti in Q3/Q4... Makes no sense when 4070 will smack it for half the price

GPU Mining "Dies" yeah (unless a new coin will explode) + Demand is low because most gamers have bought a GPU by then and fabs have been ramping up productions, meaning stores will start seeing huge stock

From high demand, low supply to lower demand and high supply in 2023+

Nvidia is on a winning spree here. They will be blasting out Ampere at Samsung 8nm while having TSMC 5nm for 4000 series with a 50/50 spead of GDDR6 and GDDR6X.

Intel will come for low to mid-end too and AMD will have to find their place very soon or they will drop below 10% dGPU marketshare. RDNA2 was a disaster in terms of actual sales and marketshare (Steam).

What we are seeing is the same as back when bitcoin gpu mining died. Market was flooded with GPUs and prices went to an all time low.

and of course, the demand from the crypto mining market has fallen off a cliff due to low profitability.
UNQUOTE

This is wrong and misleading, I don't think you are in touch with the Market in Germany.

I can't speak about non-EU markets but I believe Miners in other parts of the world will be doing pretty much the same thing that EU Miners are doing, and EU Miners are currently buying GPUs as you 'll see in the E-BAY.DE listings below, only a few days old wherein used NON-LHR 3060 ti's with a couple of years 24/7 Mining on their back sold for around $1K USD.

I see the same thing here in Greece wherein new and used GPU prices spiked after a massive drop on or about 31 March 2022.

Miners are still in the market and they are buying in bulk b/c ETH's move to PoS has been indefinitely postponed for the 6th or 7th time in the last 8 years or so.

That means you are not likely to see GPU prices normalize anytime soon and you are not likely to see ETH move to PoS anytime soon (if ever) neither b/c Miners keep buying and they are no fools.

P.S.: Note how the Miners claim that some of these cards are "Neu" or "Brandneu" but if you believe that, I've got a statue in NYC to sell you.

0mbG7m0.jpg

Last edited:
and of course, the demand from the crypto mining market has fallen off a cliff due to low profitability.
UNQUOTE

This is wrong and misleading, I don't think you are in touch with the Market in Germany.

I can't speak about non-EU markets but I believe Miners in other parts of the world will be doing pretty much the same thing that EU Miners are doing, and EU Miners are currently buying GPUs as you 'll see in the E-BAY.DE listings below, only a few days old wherein used NON-LHR 3060 ti's with a couple of years 24/7 Mining on their back sold for around $1K USD.

I see the same thing here in Greece wherein new and used GPU prices spiked after a massive drop on or about 31 March 2022.

Miners are still in the market and they are buying in bulk b/c ETH's move to PoS has been indefinitely postponed for the 6th or 7th time in the last 8 years or so.

That means you are not likely to see GPU prices normalize anytime soon and you are not likely to see ETH move to PoS anytime soon (if ever) neither b/c Miners keep buying and they are no fools.

P.S.: Note how the Miners claim that some of these cards are "Neu" or "Brandneu" but if you believe that, I've got a statue in NYC to sell you.

0mbG7m0.jpg

Haha yes we are. There are tons of GPUs to buy as we speak. We are almost at MSRP pricing.

GPU mining becomes less and less profitable regardless of PoS.

I sold my 3080 for 1500 to a miner in 2H 2021. Paid 700 dollars on release.

Bought a 3080 Ti for 1500 1 week prior to selling that 3080 🤣 which is my current card.

Feeling ready for 4080/4070 even tho my 3080 Ti is the best value I have ever seen.

Flagship performance for 700 dollars 🤣

I might sell my 3070 non-LHR for 800-1000 dollars soon, and just use the 3080 Ti in my 2nd rig instead.

IT's absolutely shocking to me that the crypto scams and scalpers pushed GPU prices so ridiculously high and made it extremely difficult to buy the GPU you wanted at MSRP.

I was fortunate enough to have been able to wait on line and get the cards I wanted at MSRP before the madness really kicked off (after Cyberpunk was released).

I just hope we'll never see this nonsense again.

I still blame the manufacturers tho.

If Apple could force people to pre-order and virtually eliminate scalping of iPhones, there's no reason GPU cards should be subject to such manipulations.

Problem we're most likely going to see is that new gen parts get gobbled up again, super fast, leaving nothing new for most people and the whole "shortage" situation happens again. Once this takes place, those people sitting on a Maxwell card or even a Pascal card might be willing to accept the fact they should pickup something new and look towards Ampere or even AMD's RDNA2.

If something like this does happen, what new stock is left for Ampere or RDNA2 will see prices swing back up above MSRP.

I don't think we'll see much in terms of the current gen of GPUs hitting their original MSRP. Maybe the lower models, but anything mid-ranged and up will probably hold at MSRP or just above it and then creep back up once stock for the next gen get's inhaled off the shelves and scalped or used for mining. Thus leaving every day consumers just wanting to upgrade, out in the cold.

Problem we're most likely going to see is that new gen parts get gobbled up again, super fast, leaving nothing new for most people and the whole "shortage" situation happens again. Once this takes place, those people sitting on a Maxwell card or even a Pascal card might be willing to accept the fact they should pickup something new and look towards Ampere or even AMD's RDNA2.

If something like this does happen, what new stock is left for Ampere or RDNA2 will see prices swing back up above MSRP.

I don't think we'll see much in terms of the current gen of GPUs hitting their original MSRP. Maybe the lower models, but anything mid-ranged and up will probably hold at MSRP or just above it and then creep back up once stock for the next gen get's inhaled off the shelves and scalped or used for mining. Thus leaving every day consumers just wanting to upgrade, out in the cold.

It doesn't need to be that way. These damn manufacturers need to force pre-orders, check pre-orders for authenticity and deny bot orders.

If Apple can do it, Nvidia and AMD can do it.

My country still about 30% above MSRP
It seems some countries lag behind the others, could be that they're receiving fewer cards. That doesn't mean prices won't come down in your country but you'll just have to wait a couple of weeks longer.

It doesn't need to be that way. These damn manufacturers need to force pre-orders, check pre-orders for authenticity and deny bot orders.

If Apple can do it, Nvidia and AMD can do it.

Apple is a single retailer that makes their own devices from their own designs and sells them direct. No design or sales partners.

If you wanted a Nvidia Founder's Edition or whatever AMD calls their in-house/PNY design, then they could and should do this and those would be perpetually OOS. But AMD or Nvidia leaning on board partners to do the same? No chance.

Rtx 3080 stock and/or prices still suck. Good reason to just put my gaming hobby on hold a bit longer.

If you are in the market for a new graphics card, definitely do your research. There are hundreds of cards in my local Microcenter that are closer to MSRP than they were, well probably ever were; in terms of on the shelf collecting dust and not an arbitrary price for an empty shelf products.
That said if you want to know which way the wind blows from here keep an eye on that inventory. Once you see the numbers tighten up things might make a swing for the worse but I believe we are on a downward trend.
Although Intel's Ark was delayed it should help put pressure on mid and low end as well when it launches later this year.
Rumors of next gen about 6 months away can also cause some potential buyers to wait it out until next gen.
Similar trend pre Ampere launch?
If we recall on this very website people were trolling some on selling the 2080ti as a $400 card while some held on until hysteria plays out mitigated their out of pocket expenditure on upgrading to 3000 series or 6000 series gpus like me ( sold the 2080ti hybrid for $900 in September 2020 ) and upgraded to 3090 ultra at MSRP luckily)
If I am correct prices will continue to drop and then climb up again. I hope I am wrong and prices go down and stay down.
Finally If am correct we will start to see game bundles make a comeback in 3 2 1!

Last edited:
As usual, great article and thanks for the summary once again.

The MSRP's are still at gouge levels IMO. They need to drop to get cards back down to reality. The old $100-150 cards are selling at $300-400+ - insanity.

I have never, nor will I ever pay more than $270 for a vidcard. Soon I may buy
Evga has the rtx 3050 in stock at $249 currently.

Intel is timing the market so they enter it at the perfect moment when gamers have maximum choices at the best price, its a smart business sense 😂.

If you are waiting for mid and low end gpu market to plummet to its lowest potential point, I believe that point is when Intel finally launches Intel Ark desktop gpus later on this year.

Evga has the rtx 3050 in stock at $249 currently.

Intel is timing the market so they enter it at the perfect moment when gamers have maximum choices at the best price, its a smart business sense 😂.

If you are waiting for mid and low end gpu market to plummet to its lowest potential point, I believe that point is when Intel finally launches Intel Ark desktop gpus later on this year.

Maybe, however I don't really think that. Intel would have been better off launching sooner, because Nvidia 4000 series are coming later this year (with mid to low end by late 2022 or early 2023)

Intel Arc won't impress on performance but might have good performance per dollar

Maybe, however I don't really think that. Intel would have been better off launching sooner, because Nvidia 4000 series are coming later this year (with mid to low end by late 2022 or early 2023)

Intel Arc won't impress on performance but might have good performance per dollar
unless unless you know what rimes with Raja? Sabotaja. lol imagine.

Update today from Tom's hardware
Intel Creates New Graphics Research Organization
FYI

Last edited:
unless unless you know what rimes with Raja? Sabotaja. lol imagine.

Update today from Tom's hardware
Intel Creates New Graphics Research Organization
FYI
What is your point - Arc has been delayed because of optimization, finetuning and production. They probably want to have cards ready to buy on launch intead of doing a paper launch.

Intel Arc will primarity target the AMD 6400, 6500 and 6600 + Nvidia 3050 and 3060 series mostly. Low to mid-end stuff (bare mid-end really).

The best Arc card this time, might or might not reach 3060 Ti and 6700XT performance.

It will be nowhere near 6800XT/3080 performance that is for sure. Besides, 4000 series is less than 6 months away anyway.

I don't even think the best Arc based card will beat 3060 Ti and 6700XT overall... Hopefully close to these cards..

HOWEVER with good pricing, it won't matter. AMDs lower end offerings are garbage this gen. 64-128 bit busses with gimped PCIe speeds (x8 limit). This market will be a breeze for Intel to take, with the right price and availability. Nvidia never really cared much for low-end, mostly it's x60 and up they focus on.

I was fearing the same thing, just got my notify from EVGA last Friday for a RTX 3080 XC3 HC, thought about it a couple hours and pulled the trigger knowing if I wait for the next generation the same thing could happen all over again. The card did have an instant rebate of $50 bringing it down to $890, which for a 3080 with a preinstalled water block I don't think is that bad.

I just hope I don't regret this in the fall when 4000 series releases and is actually available...

I was fearing the same thing, just got my notify from EVGA last Friday for a RTX 3080 XC3 HC, thought about it a couple hours and pulled the trigger knowing if I wait for the next generation the same thing could happen all over again. The card did have an instant rebate of $50 bringing it down to $890, which for a 3080 with a preinstalled water block I don't think is that bad.

I just hope I don't regret this in the fall when 4000 series releases and is actually available...

Did you use the associate code to save an extra 3% on your order? 3% doesn't sound like much, but it's generally enough of a reduction to basically cover the cost of shipping.

Also, you just never know, your choice now could be good or bad. Don't forget that with the rumors of the 4xxx coming out will be a much higher power draw. If things are true, top end cards could be looking to be 600W, but so far that's just rumors. Just something to keep in mind.

What is your point - Arc has been delayed because of optimization, finetuning and production. They probably want to have cards ready to buy on launch intead of doing a paper launch.

Intel Arc will primarity target the AMD 6400, 6500 and 6600 + Nvidia 3050 and 3060 series mostly. Low to mid-end stuff (bare mid-end really).

The best Arc card this time, might or might not reach 3060 Ti and 6700XT performance.

It will be nowhere near 6800XT/3080 performance that is for sure. Besides, 4000 series is less than 6 months away anyway.

I don't even think the best Arc based card will beat 3060 Ti and 6700XT overall... Hopefully close to these cards..

HOWEVER with good pricing, it won't matter. AMDs lower end offerings are garbage this gen. 64-128 bit busses with gimped PCIe speeds (x8 limit). This market will be a breeze for Intel to take, with the right price and availability. Nvidia never really cared much for low-end, mostly it's x60 and up they focus on.
We went from Intel boasting 3070ti like performance ( $500 to $650 market) to low margin competitor of what exactly competing with rtx 3050 and on top of that they didn't even have stable drivers/hardware and need more time to what end. To cut margins even more to stay competitive.
In the end all I care about is competition and gamers will win. Calling out Raja for sabotage is just me being whimsical.

Back