GPU fan stops spinning, first PC build

Sporked

Hi there, I'm in the middle of my first PC build and I've come across a problem that I need some help with.

My GPU appears to be working fine until I insert it into the slot on my motherboard the fan instantly stops spinning. The rest of the motherboard doesn't appear to hinder at all.

CPU: Intel i5 2600K
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-VLE
GPU: Gigabyte ATI HD6770
PSU: SilverStone 750W SST-ST75F-P

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if there is any more information needed to access the problem.

You shouldn't be installing a graphics card (or any card) while the PC is still on. It's risky to the heath of your components. The graphics card needs to be connected to external power before it will work anyway. Connect it while the PC is off, then power it up.

You shouldn't be installing a graphics card (or any card) while the PC is still on. It's risky to the heath of your components. The graphics card needs to be connected to external power before it will work anyway. Connect it while the PC is off, then power it up.

This is what I've been doing. I have the motherboard set up on a grounded surface with the CPU, heatsink, GPU and RAM connected. Whenever I tried starting the GPU while not connected to the motherboard, the fan was working fine. But when I start the system with the GPU connected, the fan starts for about half a second and then stops.

Just to clarify, is the 6 pin PCI-E connector from the power supply plugged into the grahics card?

What do you mean by trying to start the GPU without connecting it to the motherboard?

If your OS doesn't even boot without the GPU then it isn't a GPU issue. You would have to do a bit more testing to see what component is failing.

Back