GPU shipments jumped 42% in Q2 as AMD's market share declined

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Given that the chip shortage is dominating headlines, one might expect the GPU and CPU markets to have shrunk, but the opposite is true. GPU shipments in Q2 2021 increased a massive 37% year-on-year and 3.4% sequentially. Out of the three graphics companies, Nvidia and Intel gained more of the pie, while AMD’s market share declined.

Jon Peddie Research (JPR) writes that 123 million GPUs shipped during the second quarter. It was also a good Q2 for CPUs, which experienced a 42% YoY increase in shipments. The company writes that the install base of GPUs will grow at an annual rate of 3.5% over the next four years, reaching 3,318 million units by 2025. Discrete GPUs, meanwhile, will grow to reach a level of 25%.

Looking at market shares, which include integrated GPUs, Intel continues to lead with 68.29% (up 0.1%). It’s followed by AMD on 16.48% (down -0.2%) then Nvidia with 15.23% (up 0.06%). In terms of shipments, however, all companies saw sequential increases: AMD shipments increased 2.3%, Intel’s shipments rose 3.6%, and Nvidia’s shipments increased 3.8%.

JPR notes that overall GPU shipments in Q2 are usually down compared to the previous quarter, but they increased by 3.4% QoQ this year.

It’s a different picture in the world of dedicated GPUs, of course. Nvidia now takes 83% of that market, up 2%, while AMD has fallen to 17%. Both companies have struggled to meet demand since their respective new graphics cards arrived, but team green has coped a lot better than its rival—as reflected in the most recent Steam survey.

PC dGPU shipment market shares

Q2 2020 Q1 2021 Q2 2021
AMD 20% 19% 17%
Nvidia 80% 81% 83%

Intel recently announced that the first product in its Arc consumer discrete graphics brand, Alchemist, would arrive in the first quarter of 2022, so Chipzilla should eventually join Nvidia and AMD on the dGPU list.

Here are some of the report’s other highlights:

• The GPU’s overall attach rate (which includes integrated and discrete GPUs, desktop, notebook, and workstations) to PCs for the quarter was 117%, down -0.1% from last quarter.
  • Desktop graphics add-in boards (AIBs that use discrete GPUs) decreased by -2.9% from the last quarter.
  • This quarter saw a 3.4% rise in tablet shipments from last quarter.

“Covid has distorted every forecasting model in the universe—even Moore’s Law has been disrupted. Predictions based on short-term conditions have created conflicting and distorted estimates from some quarters that will be proven wrong and embarrassing,” said JPR president Jon Peddie.

As for when the graphics card market will start to see a return to normality for consumers, Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang recently warned that the current supply issues would last the vast majority of 2022. We’ve also heard that chip delivery times had reached record levels of 20 weeks.

Permalink to story.

This change in market share is to be expected, nvidia is all about gpus, AMD on the other hand has advanced considerably in other markets (servers cpus, desktop cpus, apus, consoles etc) with higher margins and strict partner deals, that compete for 7nm fab capacity. It is quite natural for them to focus on those while nvidia focuses on GPUs.

People buy Radeons, miss out on modern features like ray tracing and DLSS then encounter loads of issues with drivers and game optimisations, image flickering, black screens, hot temps etc. Then they turn to AMD for help who just point users to try their luck on Reddit. Then they never buy Radeon again.

No wonder they have such a tiny market share for discrete GPUs.

I only buy the highest end Nvidia GPU. But I'm glad AMD and Intel exist for the budget buyer so they don't get left out in the cold when scalpers and inflated prices harm the market.

Glad I bought stock in Nvidia, AMD, Microsoft, Apple and Intel when I did. I'm wayyyy up.

You're not gonna blv this, but yesterday BEST BUY was to sell abt 20k NVIDIA RTX GPUs in many States all across America.

Read here to see what happened:

Long story short, in some stores the Mob took over, appointed a "Linemaster" and then Mobsters used Homeless ppl to secure spots in the queue which they sold for $350 a pop to Whales.

Some say even the AB got involved in one particular State and "managed" the Linemasters and provided "muscle" in case of threats and altercations etc.

In just a single store, the Mob's Linemaster made $7K just by selling spots in the queue.

The police was nowhere to be seen and did not intervene.

In a different instance, the Linemaster managed to secure 40 GPUs which he sold outside the store as soon he got them at Ebay prices.

This was like, unbelievable.

*AB=Aryan Brotherhood

People buy Radeons, miss out on modern features like ray tracing and DLSS then encounter loads of issues with drivers and game optimisations, image flickering, black screens, hot temps etc. Then they turn to AMD for help who just point users to try their luck on Reddit. Then they never buy Radeon again.

No wonder they have such a tiny market share for discrete GPUs.

Their latest drives cause rendering corruption in Wreckfest currently.
A game released in 2014.
As much as I love AMD CPU's (all my systems since 1999 have been AMD CPU based), I've owned exactly 1 AMD GPU (a 460) and could not get rid of it fast enough, if only due to the shoddy drivers.

Team Red for CPU, team green for GPU.

/will be installing his FTW3 Ultra 3080 this evening after work.

You're not gonna blv this, but yesterday BEST BUY was to sell abt 20k NVIDIA RTX GPUs in many States all across America.

Long story short, in some stores the Mob took over, appointed a "Linemaster" and then Mobsters used Homeless ppl to secure spots in the queue which they sold for $350 a pop to Whales.

Some say even the AB got involved in one particular State and "managed" the Linemasters and provided "muscle" in case of threats and altercations etc.

In just a single store, the Mob's Linemaster made $7K just by selling spots in the queue.

In a different instance, the Linemaster managed to secure 40 GPUs which he sold outside the store as soon he got them at Ebay prices.

*AB=Aryan Brotherhood

The Antonline EVGA bundles (when they have them) are the easiest way to get a 30 series GPU now.

AMD exited the PC GPU market in 2013, when they became a SoC console business.

Yet they‘re somehow still being blamed for the current market situation. Curious.

It is worth pointing out that AMD made a net loss of $83 Million in FY 2013 whereas nVidia had a net income of $562 million.

Long term debt was $2 Billion vs $ 19 Million.

You see, people are buying GPUs regardless, that's why prices will not come down as quickly, if they ever do. They're waiting in line for 24 hours for a GPU, this shows how little control they have over themselves.

AMD missed a rare chance to gain marketshare and to get recognized by gamers as a good choice. This was a rare ocassion that they had competitive cards, minus ray tracing which is still a meme and FSR was a bit late but hey, if they were availible at MSRP...

Maybe AMD would benefit if they implemented LHR like feature to drive off miners and get their cards into the hands of desperate consumer sheep, gamers I mean.

*AB=Aryan Brotherhood
Wow, thanks for mentioning this, that's amazing, can't think of a bad enough word to get by TechSpot's censors to describe these individuals, scum and human waste doesn't come close.

I only buy the highest end Nvidia GPU. But I'm glad AMD and Intel exist for the budget buyer so they don't get left out in the cold when scalpers and inflated prices harm the market.

Glad I bought stock in Nvidia, AMD, Microsoft, Apple and Intel when I did. I'm wayyyy up.

I just hold VGT and VOOG ETFs so I don't worry about who gets ahead. Heck, I even profit on stuff like Paypal which is too dirty to buy outright.

On-topic: Great news. Happy customers bring brand loyalty.

You see, people are buying GPUs regardless, that's why prices will not come down as quickly, if they ever do. They're waiting in line for 24 hours for a GPU, this shows how little control they have over themselves.

AMD missed a rare chance to gain marketshare and to get recognized by gamers as a good choice. This was a rare ocassion that they had competitive cards, minus ray tracing which is still a meme and FSR was a bit late but hey, if they were availible at MSRP...

Maybe AMD would benefit if they implemented LHR like feature to drive off miners and get their cards into the hands of desperate consumer sheep, gamers I mean.
They would have needed to drastically increase GPU production at the expense of more profitable products.

In addition, this would have been very high risk as this production change does not happen over night. Just imagine what would happen in case of a mining bust or nVidia flooding the market ?Definitely not grateful gamers taking Radeon cards off AMD‘s or AIBs‘ hands.

Also, what for ? If you look at market share going back many years, no matter what AMD does the majority of users still buy nVidia.

Don‘t expect AMD to fix the current market, risking huge potential losses and forgoing CPU profits. That‘s up to the market leader with an 80%+ share whom gamers have gladly given their money, in fact, ever increasing amounts thereof, for years.

Their latest drives cause rendering corruption in Wreckfest currently.
A game released in 2014.
As much as I love AMD CPU's (all my systems since 1999 have been AMD CPU based), I've owned exactly 1 AMD GPU (a 460) and could not get rid of it fast enough, if only due to the shoddy drivers.

Team Red for CPU, team green for GPU.

/will be installing his FTW3 Ultra 3080 this evening after work.
Im still stuck on an XFX RX480. I cant play No Mans Sky, its just a stuttering mess (apparently an issue with Open GL on Radeon). AC Valhalla crashes remarkably often. There is a bug in Overwatch thats been there since the game released where some elements flicker. Dying light released in 2015 has flickering blood, still. Oh sometimes for no apparent reason at all the card doesnt boost and your performance is tanked. I occasionally get the black screen bug for no apparent reason on certain games. On several occasions Windows has crashed during install of Radeon drivers and the only fix was a fresh install of windows.

What annoys me is that these are common issues, you find hundreds of thousands of users on forums with the same problems. I didnt now about this wreckfest bug but then I have never played that game. I just wish someone in the tech press would hold AMD to account over this crap. They still havent fixed the black screen bug either.

They would have needed to drastically increase GPU production at the expense of more profitable products.

In addition, this would have been very high risk as this production change does not happen over night. Just imagine what would happen in case of a mining bust or nVidia flooding the market ?Definitely not grateful gamers taking Radeon cards off AMD‘s or AIBs‘ hands.

Also, what for ? If you look at market share going back many years, no matter what AMD does the majority of users still buy nVidia.

Don‘t expect AMD to fix the current market, risking huge potential losses and forgoing CPU profits. That‘s up to the market leader with an 80%+ share whom gamers have gladly given their money, in fact, ever increasing amounts thereof, for years.
The situation at TSMC didn't allow more AMD GPUs to be pushed out any more than they were already getting. This shouldn't be news, but TSMC took on more orders than they could handle. Leaving anyone that needed more had to wait. And considering 6000 series wasn't even listed in Canada for over a month after launch, AMD was in no position to expect TSMC to just pump out more chips.

The global chip shortage is real. It's not just miners.

Im still stuck on an XFX RX480. I cant play No Mans Sky, its just a stuttering mess (apparently an issue with Open GL on Radeon). AC Valhalla crashes remarkably often. There is a bug in Overwatch thats been there since the game released where some elements flicker. Dying light released in 2015 has flickering blood, still. Oh sometimes for no apparent reason at all the card doesnt boost and your performance is tanked. I occasionally get the black screen bug for no apparent reason on certain games. On several occasions Windows has crashed during install of Radeon drivers and the only fix was a fresh install of windows.

What annoys me is that these are common issues, you find hundreds of thousands of users on forums with the same problems. I didnt now about this wreckfest bug but then I have never played that game. I just wish someone in the tech press would hold AMD to account over this crap. They still havent fixed the black screen bug either.

Shame they still can't seem to get driver support down somehow.
Even if the hardware may be great, can't justify it if the software to make it work...well, doesn't.

If you were state side I'd offer to sell my spare 2060 off to you.

AMD for CPU, Nvidia for GPU and RDNA2 didn't change that one bit. But to be fair, I couldn't buy Ampere at anything near normal price, but AMD cards were basically non-existent when I was upgrading earlier this year. Ended up having to get Turing 2080 Super, but I only do 1440p so it's more than strong enough for anything I throw at it. I will wait for Lovelace but am curious about Intel Arc DG2. RDNA3 still interests me but I'm not confident about supply even for late next year.

Shame they still can't seem to get driver support down somehow.
Even if the hardware may be great, can't justify it if the software to make it work...well, doesn't.

If you were state side I'd offer to sell my spare 2060 off to you.
How much is nVidia paying you? People that were always on nVidia and switch to AMD are SURPRISED how GOOD the AMD software actually is.

Timestamped:

nVidia is like feminism and AMD is like men. Men are blamed and trashed for everything, and nVidia gets all the excuses justifying their alleged superiority.

How much is nVidia paying you? People that were always on nVidia and switch to AMD are SURPRISED how GOOD the AMD software actually is.

Timestamped:

nVidia is like feminism and AMD is like men. Men are blamed and trashed for everything, and nVidia gets all the excuses justifying their alleged superiority.
My current experience with AMD software is that it’s a festering heap of garbage. Support forums are disproportionately full of upset Radeon users.

It’s a definite problem, AMD fanboys try to gaslight people, they lie and tell people that the software is fine. But that isn’t going to help the users or AMD. How does it comfort me the next time my screen just goes black mid game and the only fix is a hard reset?

AMD could be great, they are so close but just let us all down at the final hurdle. It’s such a massive shame and it’s the reason why they have such a small amount of market share.

Ok. And how are you so sure that it's caused by AMD drivers?

I live with someone with a GTX 1070, we play the same games mostly but he doesn’t have the same issues. Also I did have an RX 580 for a short while (from a friends spare mining setup) and the issues were identical. It’s also not the only AMD card I have owned, I’ve had several over the years. I also used to be a systems engineer and studied computer science at university. I know what I’m talking about.

Let me just assure you that these AMD driver issues are real. If someone tells you that AMD users do not have issues they are flat out lying to your face.

Oh and nobody said GeForce cards don’t have issues. They definitely have far less than Radeon cards.

Back