Graphics card compatibility

I am a hardcore gamer and want a new graphics card as my built in one only gives 30 fps in my game which is unplayable. But i don't know what graphics card to buy.

My motherboard is Gigabyte - GA-965GM-DS2
According to the company website (http://www.gigabyte.eu/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2414#fq)

The system specs are:

CPU
Supports Intel® Core™2 Extreme Quad-Core / Core™2 Duo / Intel® Pentium® Extreme/ Intel® Pentium® D processor
Supports 1066/800/533 MHz FSB
Chipset
Northbridge: Intel® G965 Express Chipset
Southbridge: Intel® ICH8
Marvel 8056 Gigabit LAN Controller
GIGABYTE SATAII controller
Realtek ALC888 8 Channel Audio Codec
Memory
Supports DDR2 800/667/533 memory
Dual Channel architecture support up to 8GB by 4 DIMM slots
* Due to standard PC architecture, a certain amount of memory is reserved for system usage and therefore the actual memory size is less than the stated amount.
Expansion Slots
1 PCI Express X16 slot
1 PCI Express X1 slot
2 PCI slots

Form Factor
MicroATX form factor, 244 x 244mm
Internal I/O Connectors
1 24-pin ATX power connector
1 4-pin ATX 12V power connector
1 floppy connector
1 IDE connector
6 SATA 3Gb/s connectors
1 CPU fan connector
1 system fan connector
1 front panel connector
1 front audio connector
1 CD In connector
1 power LED connector
3 USB 2.0/1.1 connectors for additional 6 ports by cables
1 SPDIF In/Out connector
1 COMB port connector
2 IEEE1394a connectors for additional 2 ports by cable
1 Chassis Intrusion connector
Back Panel Connectors
1 PS/2 keyboard port
1 PS/2 mouse port
1 parallel port
1 VGA port
1 serial port (COMA)
4 USB 2.0/1.1 ports
1 IEEE1394a port
1 RJ-45 port
6 audio jacks (Line In / Line Out / MIC In/Surround Speaker Out (Rear Speaker Out)/Center/Subwoofer Speaker Out/Side Speaker Out)
H/W Monitoring
System voltage detection
CPU / System temperature detection
CPU / System fan speed detection
CPU warning temperature
CPU / System fan failure warning
CPU Smart Fan Control
BIOS
1 8 Mbit flash ROM
Use of licensed AWARD BIOS
PnP 1.0a, DMI 2.0, SM BIOS 2.3, ACPI 1.0b.
Other Features
Supports RAID 0, 1, JBOD (2 ports with RAID function supported by GIGABYTE SATA2)
Supports @BIOS
Supports Download Center
Supports Q-Flash
Supports EasyTune5
Supports Xpress Install
Supports Xpress Recovery2
Supports Virtual Dual BIOS (Xpress BIOS Rescue)
Remark
Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors, please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party website.
Most hardware/software vendors may no longer offer drivers to support Win9X/ME/2000/XP SP1/SP2. If drivers are available from the vendors, we will update them on the GIGABYTE website.

Motherboard make/model: Gigabyte - GA-965GM-DS2
Motherboard graphic interface (PCI/AGP4x/AGP8X/PCIe/other)
Power supply make:
Power supply watts:
Power supply amps on +12v:
CPU: Intel(R) core(TM) 2 CPU 1.8 Ghz
Ram: 3 GB

So if my computer has PCI Slots, i went to the shop and saw Nvidia graphics card 512mb (30 GBP) it said Pci or pci 2.0

Will it be compatible and how better will it be from my current built in one?

For the record there is a difference in PCI and PCIe. PCIe is the card slot you are talking about.

PCIe 1.0 and PCIe 2.0 is backward and forward compatible, so that is a non-issue for you. :)

PCIe 2.0 transfer rates can only be used when the motherboard and graphics card are both compliant. If both motherboard and graphics card are not compliant, PCIe 1.0 standards are used.

Edit:
As far as performance see for yourself. - http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Intel+G965+Express

Your internal graphics is "Intel G965 Express" which scores 111 on the PassMark Benchmark's.

Ok so i have PCIe and graphics card which says PCI 1.0 or 2.0 will be ok.

I checked my current Internal video memory and it said 384mb, which i was quite shocked to see as some expensive graphics cards of nvidia are 256mb.

My question is now, that when i add a graphics card of say 512mb, will the memory add to my current internal memory making it (512+384)896 mb?

Ok so i have PCIe and graphics card which says PCI 1.0 or 2.0 will be ok.

I checked my current Internal video memory and it said 384mb, which i was quite shocked to see as some expensive graphics cards of nvidia are 256mb.

My question is now, that when i add a graphics card of say 512mb, will the memory add to my current internal memory making it (512+384)896 mb?
NO, it will be 512Mb only , you can only operate one card at the same time , so the Internal video card will be disabled.

Hello hard core gamer!

If your desire is to play games then you'll probably want to stay away from the 30GBP video card. You'll need a card that has a 256bit memory interface and at least 1GB of DDR5 memory. The minimum I'd buy is an GeForce GTX 460 or an HD 6850 as these card will give you good frame rates at high detail at HD resolutions on most games. These cards would also require a power supply with 40ish or more amps on the 12 volt line, so you'll more than likely have to purchase a new power supply.

And what games you intend to play? One "hardcore gamer" to another. I would consider upgrading my entire system. Your motherboard is 4-5 years old so i consider the rest of your system is as well.

Upgrading to current / newer hardware would possibly be a worthwhile upgrade. I also assume you are upgrading from a integrated on-board video solution so any current dedicated video hardware will be a massive upgrade in performance.

Back