Graphics card fan not spinning,but by itself it is hot

DinsCeravs

Hi.I am having a problem with my gpu.
I recently put together new pc but kept my old gpu.It is Sapphire HD 4650.
It was working perfectly on old system,but now it just rots in there with almost no life signs.
Thing is:
1. Fan is spinning for about a second on system startup and shutdown.Then it stops and that's it.
2.Card by itself is pretty hot,so I assume pci-e port is not broken.(?)
3.Tried changing card from internal to pci-e in bios.No good.
4.It does not show up anywhere,not in cpu-z,not everest nowhere at all.

What could be the problem?
Would appreciate any help or advice.

My specs:
Athlon II x3 450
2gb ram
MSI 760gm-e51(fx)
400w codegen psu
250gb sg barracuda
Windows 8.

The Sapphire HD 4650 comes in a PCI-E version and the motherboard has a PCI-E slot.

Make sure the card is fully seated in the slot. If you have access to another PSU, substitute it for test purposes. I don't believe the Codegen brand is a particularly good one.

Yes it is seated as good as possible...I tried moving it a bit to see if anything would happen.Nothing.

Is this your GPU? If so, it runs on AGP not PCIe.
The "760GM-E51 (FX" does not have an AGP slot. The AGP card linked is just one AGP 4600 series card with 18 other PCIe 4600 series cards put out by Sapphire. This kinda makes me wonder why question AGP.

Since non of the 4600 series Sapphire cards have a 6-pin power connector, I'm not questioning the power supply. Especially if the system still boots normally with the exception of the graphics card. But then I admit to not knowing everything.

Is there another graphics card you can use to trouble shoot the motherboards card slot?

That's the thing I do not have anything else to test with...to bad...I am starting to think there is something wrong with pci-e slot...

If this changes anything-monitor reacts when connected to gpu.It goes into sleep mode/hybernate/yellow light/whatever it was called.
What does that say...?

Your card is probably toast. The fan failed, you cooked your card, now it doesn't show up anywhere.

Back