Graphics card install issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mullesch2001

I just went out and bought a visiontek radeon 2400 pro agp 8x video card. got home opened it up and i got the 2600 pro n8ice right, kinda. The card did not come with a 4pin to 6pin power adapter because the 2400 didn't need one, but the 2800 does. Made a "custom" adapter (trust me proffesional not the problem). I went and uninstalled everything ati on my computer just from the add remove programs. popped in the new card gave it power and started up i got lines running vertical all over the screen but i figured i needed to install the driver and it would fix it. installed driver restarted and crash after i clicked my profile to log in or just blank monitor not sure just went black. put in old video card and worked perfect uninstalled drivers again downloaded from visiontek website no better. omega drivers supprisingly didn't even let me get to welcome screen. but if i uninstall all the drivers the card is a little slow and i get the lines but at least it works. i have checked my bios pretty confident but not sure if it's set correctly. tried a couple driver update programs. nothing. contacted visiontek, bullshit employees reading off some program. not power supply i dedicated a 250w power supply just to the card, did nothing. searched forums for hours lots of problems with this card just not my problem. i know computers pretty well but still got a lot to learn. any help would be great. i am upgrading from a radeon 7000 64mb. i got a deal on this card for 70 bucks on clearence so can't return it.

Sorry win xp sp2
3.2ghz p4 w/ ht
2gb ddr
2 250w psu's
the version of xp is not legal but it's all there verifyed by 3 microsoft employees (don't talk to anymore or i would ask them.)

Why would you need a PCI-E power connector for an AGP card? Those use Molex connectors AFAIK.

Did you get an AGP card in the first place?

yes i did get an agp card i don't know why it used a pci-e power it's probobly because of the 2 12 volt connections instead of a 12 and a 5.5 volt but would a pci-e card even fit in a agpslot let alone run without any drivers? and yes i did install the agp driver. i have uninstalled 5 times 3 with driver cleaner im getting really annoyed. i forgot to mention before that i know it is not the card because in safe mode i get no artifacts alot of people have been having problems with there card not being recognized mine does but the driver just fails miserably.

No, a PCI-E card will not go into an AGP slot. From what I can see, it looks like a problem with the card more than anything else. Does your PSU have more than one PCI-E power connector that you can try? If you don't, or if switching the connector doesn't work, then you can be sure that it's the card.

it is not a power issue the card has it;s own dedicated power supply. i don't think it's the card either because it works fine in safe mode. would sp3 help?

It may work fine in Safe Mode, but if it doesn't work in 2D mode, there's something definitely wrong with it.

ya the power supply is good im sending it back because there is alot of problems with ati drivers for these cards i will never buy a ati card again. n vidia seems to have less issues if anyone has any ideas i can't send it out for 3 days but i also saw some ram artifacts that supported rages theory so im gonna start shoppi9ng for a n vidia card now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back