Graphics card prices and availability show more signs of improvement

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: The end of the graphics card crisis may not be in sight, but there are signs that the situation is improving. The latest of these is a new report highlighting declining prices and improving availability, particularly when it comes to Nvidia’s products.

The good news comes from German site 3DCenter, whose report shows the average price of RTX 3000-series cards in Germany has fallen from three times above MSRP last month to just under double in June. That’s still very high, of course, but the decline has been rapid and is expected to continue on this trajectory.

The publication also writes that availability of team green’s Ampere line has improved significantly, the only exception being the RTX 3060 Ti, which is still in very high demand.

Image Credit: 3DCenter

AMD’s cards have experienced similar if less extreme price movements. The Radeon RX 6000 line was 114% above MSRP in early May and has fallen to 81% in June, though there has been a small increase across the last three weeks.

The RDNA 2 cards, which have long been even more difficult to find than Ampere, are also seeing their availability in the country improve, albeit not on the same level as Nvidia’s offerings.

The caveat here is that the figures apply only to Germany, but other locations, including Australia, are experiencing similar trends.

The report comes after ASRock said the price of graphics cards was starting to fall and that shipments of AMD cards will improve as substrate production capacity increases. Much of the change has been put down to China’s clampdown on crypto mining that recently expanded to the Sichuan province, where cheap hydropower had attracted mining farms. There’s also the arrival of Lite Hash Rate (LHR) versions of RTX 3080, RTX 3070, and RTX 3060 Ti cards, as well as physical retailers implementing more measures to stop scalpers.

Our monthly look at GPU availability and pricing shows the average eBay selling price of Ampere/RDNA 2 cards fell -8% from May to June, while the Nvidia RTX 2000-series was down -14% during the same period.

Permalink to story.

I really don't like some of these companies say "Oh yeah we're um... err...Seeing some manufacturing process improvements!" Literally days after China is basically crashing Ethereum single handedly: Yeah I am going to press X for doubt on that: You were selling to miners, probably directly, you did nothing and saw no changes and you just want us to forget what you guys were doing.

But I say that after the second mining craze in recent years we shouldn't easily forget: I am intentionally not going to buy even a midrange product for the time being. If a 3050 or something similar from AMD finally get released I might consider that but I'm intentionally scaling down on AAA gaming to avoid the need to do this dance in the future altogether.

#1 The cards still aren't "on the shelves"

#2 Even if the cards do physically make it on the shelves: SCALPING IS REAL...regular gamers are scalping even when the scalpers targeting miners aren't.

#3 The only real way to address GPU issues is to ship directly to the buyer.

#4 all these MINING CARDS - if the situation was getting better - should be put on the market and they "should" cause the entire market to "crash", but that's not gonna happen.

Last edited:
They will never return to pre-pandemic pricing. This isn’t all about cryptos. Inflation is having an effect aswell. I don’t think we’ll see better value than the £650 3080 at launch. But at the same time new games seem to be less demanding than ever.

Since the communists do the bulk of crypto mining, we are about to see the truth about it's effect on card prices in short order. We keep being told "its not all about crypto" but I personally have my doubts, I think 80+% of the problem is mining.

I think used cards will drop in price as people start selling off mining hardware but new cards in retail stores will still be around the same inflated price since there is still a shortage of chips. That is ofcourse if crypto keeps going down.

I really don't like some of these companies say "Oh yeah we're um... err...Seeing some manufacturing process improvements!" Literally days after China is basically crashing Ethereum single handedly: Yeah I am going to press X for doubt on that: You were selling to miners, probably directly, you did nothing and saw no changes and you just want us to forget what you guys were doing.

But I say that after the second mining craze in recent years we shouldn't easily forget: I am intentionally not going to buy even a midrange product for the time being. If a 3050 or something similar from AMD finally get released I might consider that but I'm intentionally scaling down on AAA gaming to avoid the need to do this dance in the future altogether.
I agree with you. My 1070ti runs nearly everything good enough at 1440. People are foolish to spend $3500 for a system to run Cyberpunk. Kinda stupid IMO. The graphic card industry and the youtube reviewers/salespeople are bending people over and they don't even realize it.

Declining prices my a$s, the price of the Sapphire Nitro+ RX6800 keeps going up here infact I bought one ~ a couple of months ago and it cost me $1295NZD that very same GPU is now $1995NZD after coming back in stock and shows no sign of dropping in price

So, what's weird here? As the prices of BitCoin go down, the availability of graphics cards go up. Pretty simple cause and effect relation. It's a pattern that requires just one coefficient, so it could be detected by a "brain" consisting of just one neuron.

Back