Graphics card prices are nearing MSRP in Europe

nanoguy

Staff member
In context: The current generation of RTX Ampere and RDNA 2 GPUs from Nvidia and AMD are getting old, but it looks like prices may soon reach MSRP levels. After almost two years of inflated prices and poor availability, that's hardly something to celebrate, but at least the trend is positive for many gamers who've been priced out of the GPU market by scalpers, crypto miners, and retailers.

One may be tempted to point fingers at Nvidia and AMD for the chaotic GPU market we've experienced for the last two years, but according to analyst Jon Peddie, it was mostly distributors and retailers who raised prices to unaffordable levels.

This was done under the pretext of supply and demand forces beyond their control, but the supply part has been slowly improving over the past several months. And with governments cracking down on mining, growing energy prices, and Ethereum's impending transition to a proof-of-stake consensus, the demand has slowed considerably.

The latest report from 3DCenter on European GPU prices indicates they're inching closer to MSRP.

The publication has been charting the price and availability trends for both AMD and Nvidia graphics cards since early 2021 (as have we, but for US pricing), and this update continues to paint a picture of gradual improvement in both areas.

Also see: TechSpot GPU Pricing Update: May 2022 - Buy Now or Wait for Next-Gen?

Nvidia RTX 3000 cards are now priced at an average of six percent above the manufacturer's suggested price levels, while AMD's RX 6000 series hover more closely at just 2 percent above MSRP.

As our readers are no doubt aware, there seems to be a correlation between Ethereum's profitability and GPU pricing, and both have seen slow and steady declines over the past five months.

The detailed picture is a little more nuanced, where some GPUs like the Radeon RX 6500 XT and RX 6600 XT can be found for as much as 19 percent below MSRP, while others are still grossly overpriced.

Even the high-end RX 6900 XT can be found at 12 percent below Team Red's suggested price, but the same cannot be said of the RX 6800 and RX 6800 XT, which are listed at 22 percent and 35 percent more than their respective MSRPs.

The only Nvidia GPU to be found slightly below MSRP is the GeForce RTX 3090. Other high-end models like the RTX 3080, RTX 3080 Ti, and mid-range models like the RTX 3070 and RTX 3070 Ti can be found for 5 to 12 percent above MSRP. The worst choice in terms of value right now appears to be the RTX 3060 Ti, which is sold for 21 percent more than Team Green's suggested price.

Of course, GPU pricing does vary by region and retailer, but the downward trend has been maintained for several months now. As we noted in our latest monthly GPU pricing report, the dilemma now is that a new generation of graphics cards is set for release later this year, so buying cards that are now one or two years old -- which has been a moving goalpost -- even if found at MSRP may not be the best choice.

On the bright side, there seems to be more room for price drops for mid-range and high-end graphics cards, and eBay prices for older cards are also seeing double-digit drops every month.

Furthermore, Nvidia has been working to reduce manufacturing costs, which should more than offset the increase in wafer prices. Meanwhile, AMD's refreshed RX 6x50 XT cards can be found at or near MSRP, at least in the US.

Permalink to story.

And they expect us to come back to them like nothing happened after the way we was treated. Anyone who buys a GPU now cant complain in future for when they only cater to the miners.
AMD and Nvidia both could easy give personal service to gamers who will gladly pay that little extra for the privilege of talking to a human on a one on one basis to purchase a GPU but they chose not to because they know they can come running back after they dumped us for better things.

NO, the prices are still too high in many parts of the world and even in EU different regions have higher prices, +20%-40% still over MSRP (in all Eastern EU for example, you should know that Adrian).

This is an EOL GPU generation and it should be well BELOW MSRP to be attractive in any way.

So I say **** them and these prices, I'll buy these soon to be old gen GPUs only at HALF MSRP or no deal.

They made so much money in the last 2 years, showing us the new peaks of greed, so they can afford to take a few losses and go below MSRP, easily. And they deserve that.

Last edited:
And they expect us to come back to them like nothing happened after the way we was treated.
I don't think they care if you run, crawl or are dragged back, there isn't really anyone else you can go with.
Intel's Arc is in the pipeline but I think they've only released mobile stuff at the moment, not sure when their desktop GPUs will launch but they might not be competing at the higher end of the spectrum, xx60, xx70 level at most?
Other interesting things are going on in the graphics world but not really relevant to gaming industry right now, few game on Apple products, and mobile gaming is a different league right now (and probs always will be).

Nvidia and AMD have us by the balls and they know it.

The sad part - at least for me - is that the cards I find most interesting (3060 Ti and 6600XT/6700XT) are still way overpriced and would be even if they reached msrp.

With next gen being so close, I agree with Kozmoz that we should already see EOL prices.

I don't think they care if you run, crawl or are dragged back, there isn't really anyone else you can go with.
Intel's Arc is in the pipeline but I think they've only released mobile stuff at the moment, not sure when their desktop GPUs will launch but they might not be competing at the higher end of the spectrum, xx60, xx70 level at most?
Other interesting things are going on in the graphics world but not really relevant to gaming industry right now, few game on Apple products, and mobile gaming is a different league right now (and probs always will be).

Nvidia and AMD have us by the balls and they know it.

This reads like corporate/shill talk and not what today's reality is today.

1. If NVIDIA does not care, they would have not announced a restock/reloaded campaign due to falling sales.

2, Not caring is NOT a one-way stance "take it or leave it." (No WISE company would think like that). a.) If the majority of gamers/creators stop caring b). NVIDIA would not have ANY investors to CARE about investing in its company c.) which eventually leads to bankruptcy.

So, in other words, consumers not caring is a heck of a lot more effective than any greedy company.

I mean, just look around, every is OVERSTOCKED with this current-generation of GPUs and CPUs.

It is what it is!

Last edited:
Neah, still overpriced and next gen arround the corner. More excited to see what Intel brings to market.

Intel won't bring sheep to the market because they simply are new into the discreet GPU market. Even AMD's or nVidia's first generations are bad and they have been doing this for decades.

I was talking about market as a whole. I know and expecting shlt drivers and performance on first iteration.
We talk about Intel, right?
Raja powered!

I see AMD card prices have gone down, still some way to go but Nvidia cards are still way up there. RTX 3070 and RX 6700 XT were around the same price a couple of months ago now the AMD card is around 100 EUR cheaper and more in line with RTX 3060 Ti.

And they expect us to come back to them like nothing happened after the way we was treated. Anyone who buys a GPU now cant complain in future for when they only cater to the miners.
AMD and Nvidia both could easy give personal service to gamers who will gladly pay that little extra for the privilege of talking to a human on a one on one basis to purchase a GPU but they chose not to because they know they can come running back after they dumped us for better things.
Sorry, but this sounds pathetic. Nvidia, AMD and Intel never and I mean never cared about you. They are not your friends. From them you buy the product if it suits you and that's it. When you talk about being mistreated by them it sounds like you're in some sort of a relationship with them in which case you might be a mental case.

Sorry, but this sounds pathetic. Nvidia, AMD and Intel never and I mean never cared about you. They are not your friends. From them you buy the product if it suits you and that's it. When you talk about being mistreated by them it sounds like you're in some sort of a relationship with them in which case you might be a mental case.
hahaha thats true - you and I help them earn profits, but we benefit from the product they sell to us.

We'll see the same issue with the new generation coming out; not enough stock with scalpers/bots and miners picking them up. The cards will be priced, at the very least, similar to how this generation was priced, but I'm actually thinking all cards will be at least $150+ more than their predecessor simply based on the fact that people showed they have money to spend and are willing to spend that kind of money on a constant basis.

If the 3070 was MSRP of $499, the 4070 will be around $600 ($1200+ after scalping).
If the 3080 was MSRP of $699, the 3080 will be around $900 ($1600+ after scalping).
If the 3090 was MSRP of $1499, the 4090 will be around $1900 ($3k+ after scalping).

If, and I'm expecting it to happen, the new gen is hard to come by folks will fall back to this gen as the prices here slip below MSRP to help clear out stock once the new gen is released. Then the purchasing of Ampere and RNDA2 new stock will go back up as the inventory falls and the discontinuation of these cards being produced. Then the prices of used stock will start to climb again as people that tried to skip this gen (due to lack of available inventory from retailers and price gouging) need something newer than the last of those folks clinging to Maxwell or Polaris and those hoping their Pascal or Vega cards will hold over until inventory rights itself (which could be 1-2 years, based on this past fiasco) will be on the tipping scale and may jump ship to Ampere or RNDA2.

I don't see things getting better anytime soon in terms of pricing unless a bit recession rolls through to help adjust down the outrageous inflation that's been happening.

NO, the prices are still too high in many parts of the world and even in EU different regions have higher prices, +20%-40% still over MSRP (in all Eastern EU for example, you should know that Adrian).

This is an EOL GPU generation and it should be well BELOW MSRP to be attractive in any way.

So I say **** them and these prices, I'll buy these soon to be old gen GPUs only at HALF MSRP or no deal.

They made so much money in the last 2 years, showing us the new peaks of greed, so they can afford to take a few losses and go below MSRP, easily. And they deserve that.

They usually just go off Germany when they get their data...

(RTX 3080 as a reference) Here in Poland, they went from 3600-3700PLN on release to 16,000-20,000PLN at the peak. Though they held a price of about 10,000PN for most of that time. They are now at 4600PLN, so tracking down but still way above the original release prices. It was even worse further east, but that's the least of their problems now...

You just went to the other side of the spectrum, the truth is in the middle...

Sure we are not in a relationship, but facts not feelings prove nvidia especially (others too, but them mostly) were very scummy so many times and let's take only Ampere launch with "we care about gamers" and then they sell a **** ton of GPUs (directly?) to miners - that there is MOCKERY of your customers!
(*that's one example, I don't wanna waste my time listing all the other **** they did lately)

So a relationship, no? But we do expect to be treated with common sense and fairness, because we did give our money (us gamers, I mean) to them for more than a dozen years buying their GPUs growing their company and making it what it is today, way before miners came to the scene.

I think you really missed the point of what that guy said.

We'll see the same issue with the new generation coming out; not enough stock with scalpers/bots and miners picking them up. The cards will be priced, at the very least, similar to how this generation was priced, but I'm actually thinking all cards will be at least $150+ more than their predecessor simply based on the fact that people showed they have money to spend and are willing to spend that kind of money on a constant basis.

If the 3070 was MSRP of $499, the 4070 will be around $600 ($1200+ after scalping).
If the 3080 was MSRP of $699, the 3080 will be around $900 ($1600+ after scalping).
If the 3090 was MSRP of $1499, the 4090 will be around $1900 ($3k+ after scalping).

If, and I'm expecting it to happen, the new gen is hard to come by folks will fall back to this gen as the prices here slip below MSRP to help clear out stock once the new gen is released. Then the purchasing of Ampere and RNDA2 new stock will go back up as the inventory falls and the discontinuation of these cards being produced. Then the prices of used stock will start to climb again as people that tried to skip this gen (due to lack of available inventory from retailers and price gouging) need something newer than the last of those folks clinging to Maxwell or Polaris and those hoping their Pascal or Vega cards will hold over until inventory rights itself (which could be 1-2 years, based on this past fiasco) will be on the tipping scale and may jump ship to Ampere or RNDA2.

I don't see things getting better anytime soon in terms of pricing unless a bit recession rolls through to help adjust down the outrageous inflation that's been happening.

Prices will be much higher for the next gen. But Nividia say will counter that say a 4070 at $600 will still destroy a 3080 at $700 and say you are still way better off. Do you really need a 4080, which in turn will destroy a 3090Ti and so represent terrific value in that respect.

For Ampere 3080 10GB was the sweet spot IMO, but I think 4070 (or Ti) will be that card unless you are trying to do 4K 144Hz+. And going forward as FSR 2 and DLSS continue to grow the base of games 4070/7700XT class will be plenty for most users IMO.

we did give our money (us gamers, I mean) to [NVidia] for more than a dozen years buying their GPUs growing their company and making it what it is today...
You gave them your money, receiving nothing in return, out of a generous spirit of corporate charity and wish to see them succeed? Quite upstanding of you!

Me, I've been giving them money for more than 25 years now -- but only out a cheap, mean-spirited desire to get the best product for the price.

Newegg has a GeForce RTX 3090 Ti that is on sale for $1540. I would never buy it but it just brings me joy to see this card's price just plummet.

Back