Graphics device driver issues

(I have a Compaq Presario f700 laptop running Windows Vista)
The following error occurs when trying to play a game like (Sniper Elite) on my laptop

unable to launch direct3d a compatible graphics card or driver could not be detected

I first saw this error after updating my nvidia drivers (I have tried to re-install my drivers numerous times)
Others errors of note are; only one monitor is shown in the display settings with highest resolution 1024x768 (my monitor is capable of better), My computer is unable to enter sleep mode (the Sleep action appears clear and cannot be selected). And Mp4 videos are extremely pixelated and can barely play.

It looks like the computer does not recognize what graphics driver is installed. My computer is old (about 6-7 years) but I could do all of things listed above before this problem occurred.

Have you tried rolling back to the older drivers that were working OK? I'm dubious that there is anything to be gained by installing the latest drivers on a really old system. You've had a lot of use out of this machine so if the graphics are shot maybe it's time to look for a new laptop?

Yes I have tried rolling back to older drivers. And the newest drivers available are not very new. I should have stuck with what was working. There may even be a hardware issue since I dropped the laptop around the time I installed the new drivers. I have definitely got my moneys worth with this machine but I will not send it out to pasture just yet!

Yes, it's probably a hardware issue and the driver change merely a coincidence. Maybe it will be OK for general use even if games are now out of the question.

Back