Graphics question

mbalensiefer

I have a question:
If the NVidia card is broken, but the cable is still attached to the discrete NVidia graphics card out, does the video get "pulled" from the integrated (CPU) graphics chip?

I understand. Thank you for the response. However, the cable already is attached to the correct (NVidia) output.
What is odd is that the output maximum resolution from this card is the SAME as my output max resolution from my integrated graphics card (Intel 2000). 1920* 1080. I cannot get any futher resolution than this and my card (GTX 545) supports 2560*1440.

It appears that your original question was not your real problem. What is your actual problem? For example, if you are using an HD TV as a monitor, you will be limited to that resolution by the TV. Otherwise, perhaps you need to install a recent graphics driver if you haven't already.

Hi. I am suffering from the updated graphics driver (and thus my video card) not taking.
Dell tech support says that it IS working. It is not. Dell Tech remoted in and saw that the monitor shows 2560*1440: however, since I was there in-person, I can say that the resolution was "simulated": by this I mean that I could also tell the resolution to go up, via the NVidia control panel, to 4000*3000. I thik I can resolve this but I need to know which is moving my display: the CPU ('cause the GPU is broke), or the GPU?

Okay. You display is powered by whichever output you are physically connected to. If your cable is connected to your integrated graphics, that is what is powering the monitor.

Hi. I am suffering from the updated graphics driver (and thus my video card) not taking.
Dell tech support says that it IS working. It is not. Dell Tech remoted in and saw that the monitor shows 2560*1440: however, since I was there in-person, I can say that the resolution was "simulated": by this I mean that I could also tell the resolution to go up, via the NVidia control panel, to 4000*3000. I thik I can resolve this but I need to know which is moving my display: the CPU ('cause the GPU is broke), or the GPU?
What monitor do you have? For LCDs always run it at the native resolution, it's not physically possible to display 2560x1440 on a screen with fewer pixels, and if you somehow force it the picture will look crap.

Back