GTX260 causing system crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Necrosjef

Hi, I made a post a couple of days ago about buying a new graphics card. I decided on the BFG GTX 260 896MB. So I went ahead and bought one.

So I plug it in and everythings cool, put the system on start up 3dmark06. So it gets to the "deep freeze" part and then my monitor says "no signal" and goes off, my computer then freezes so I reboot and do it again, same thing happens at the same time in 3dmark.

So I unplug the card, plug it back in and repeat. This time it gets through 3dmark ok. So I run fallout 3 on max settings, game crashes almost immediately with the same problem as what happened in 3d mark.

So I try and unplug the card again and plug it back in, fallout 3 just crashes again. Same as before.

Next I check all my temperatures and everything is in the green.

My other system components are as follows:

Motherboard: Biostar P4M900
RAM: 2GB DDR2 Corsair Value Select
Processor: Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
PSU: OCZ StealthXtreme 600W

Iam running Windows XP Professional 32bit

My system runs fine using a 8800GTS 320MB. (Previous Card)

I have had very similar problems in the past with another graphics card on a different machine and it turned out the graphics card was faulty, replacing the card solved the problem.

I am just wondering in this case if.

A. Do I have a sufficient PSU?
B. Anyone else had a similar problem or know how to get around this without having to replace the GPU?

Thanks in advance!

Make sure you are using the latest driver from the manufacturer's web site. Reload it and see if the crashing happens again. if it does, we'll take it from there.

Best,
-- Andy

Hi there,

I re-installed all of the nvidia drivers for the GPU. The problem is still occuring.

I also changed the BIOS settings so that the monitor will remain on.

This time when it crashed the screen was just frozen and I was unable to move the mouse and the keyboard was un-responsive. I gave it 5 minutes but it remained like that so I had no choice but to cut power to the pc and restart.

I then tried reducing the clock speed on the card to less than the factory standard by about 20% reduction.

Again this made no difference.

At the moment I am double checking if it is a temperature issue, I know the cards when under load operate at above 90 degrees, currently the card is idle and sitting at 76 degrees which is more than what It should be.

Any ideas?

Could be a bad graphics card. I'd take the card back to the store and have them test it.

Best,
-- Andy

Yeah like I said something very very similar happened before with another card on a different machine and it turned out to be a faulty GPU.

I'd rather gather as much evidence as possible to point to a fault if that is the case before I actually go and send it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back