Hard drive being accessed once every second

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I have a problem with my system in that something is causing the hard disk to 'tick' over almost exactly once every second, lighting up the red led. I have used process monitor to look at whats going on and theres a set of results repeating every second although I dont understand them! The effect is really noticeable when running games such as Live for Speed as the screen freezes momentarily once a second and the frame rate count drops very briefly. Aside from making the games unplayable I'm sure its not good for the drive to be accessed like this.

I noticed the problem for the first time the other day when I installed the Tiscali broadband drivers to get back online (I've been offline for a while) Up to then the games ran fine and there was no ticking every second so I think it might be something to do with the fact I've reconnected to the internet. The system has plenty of free hard drive space and is free of spy/malware as far as I can test.

I need someone to maybe have a look at the Process Monitor logs (attached) to determine whats going on. Everything is still working I.e the pc isn't running slowly and all software/functions are fine. I'd rather avoid an XP re-install if possible although I would do this if it might solve the problem.

System specs:
AMD athlon 64x2 Dual core 5200+ 2.6ghz
1.93 GB Ram
XP pro 2002 sp2
80GB hard drive

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Mephisto

Attachments

• log1.txt
    52.8 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.