Hard drive on SATA 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jandizz

Hi, I currently have my main (and only) hd (western digital 320gb) connected by SATA to SATA port 1. I've been getting the BSOD "process or crucial thread has been eliminated" for the past eon or so at random times when i'm on my computer. It has happened a minute after startup and it has happened after my computer has been on for 5 days. After researching the interweb for a solution to this annoying BS i've found that many ppl have had the same problem because their hard drives werent set up as master. So my question is can you set a SATA connected hard drive to master or is that only for IDE connections?

IDE (or actually ATA)

Not SATA

Also you should try Sata 2 port, and also possibly replace the Sata cable for your issue.

You should also run a Drive Diagnostics on your HardDrive. It may also be a partition fault, you may be able to check this with a GParted boot CD

ATA is the official name of the interface that you are referring to as "IDE". IDE is a marketing term originated by some of the drive manufacturers to describe the drive/controller combination used in drives with the ATA interface. Integrated Drive Electronics refers to the fact that the interface electronics or controller is integrated within the drive and is not a separate board, as with earlier drive interfaces. Although the correct name for the particular IDE interface we most commonly use today is ATA, many persist in using the IDE designation. If you want to be picky, you could say that IDE refers generically to any drive interface in which the controller is built into the drive whereas ATA refers to the specific implementation of IDE that is used in most PCs.

SATA (also, an "IDE" device) in itself does not work based on Master/Slave principles.

Having multiple ATA drives can be troublesome because each drive has its own controller and each controllers must function while being attached to the same bus. There must be a way to ensure that only one of the two controllers will respond to a command at a time. The ATA standard provides the option of operating on the AT bus with two drives in a "daisy-chained" configuration. The primary drive (drive 0) is called the "Master", and the secondary drive (drive 1) is called the "Slave". You configure a drive to be Master or Slave by altering a jumper setting on the drive or by using a special line in the interface called the Cable Select whereby you would configure the jumpers to operate on Cable Select.

If only one drive is in the PC, that controller responds to all commands from the system. If two drives (and, therefore, two controllers) are installed, both controllers still receive all commands from the system. Each controller must be configured to respond only to commands for itself. One controller must be set as the Master and the other as the Slave. When the system sends a command for a specific drive, the controller on the other drive must remain silent while the selected controller and drive are functioning. Configuring the jumper as Master or Slave enables discrimination between the two controllers by setting a special bit (the DRV bit) in the drive/head register of a command block. No functional difference exists between Master and Slave, except that the drive that’s specified as the Slave will assert a signal called DASP after a system reset informs the Master that a Slave drive is present in the system. The Master drive then watches the drive select line, which it otherwise ignores.

Now, with SATA, each cable has connectors only at each end, and each cable connects the device directly to the host adapter. There aren't any Master/Slave settings because each cable supports only a single device.

Take a look in the C:\Windows\Minidump directory and attach some of the more recent .dmp files.

lol, you forgot to mention PATA (drive), and why 2x Cable Select (ATA Drives) on the same IDE (interface) cable, can actually work! Because your definition does not cater for that (in whole).

..I am not writing an encyclopedia here, Kimsland. If you felt something else needed to be included, then why didn't you make the effort yourself?

PATA is nothing more than a more specific and updated way of referring to the original "ATA" (since SATA hit the market). The "P" (Parallel) in PATA is in reference to the bus architecture, just as the "S" (Serial) in SATA is.

Sure, CS can work. I prefer not to use it because in my experience, it has more kinks than a plain old Master/Slave configuration.

Thanks for your advice everyone. So i put a new SATA cable in and put it on SATA 2 so hopefully all goes well. If anything happens I'll be sure post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back