Hardkernel shows three new Rasperry Pi-like quad-core Exynos PCs

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Expanding on the palm-sized ODroid-X Exynos-based platform released in July for $129, Hardkernel has unveiled three additional packages for developers and hobbyists. Said to be the world's smallest and most cost effective quad-core ARM PC, Hardkernel's $69 ODroid-U appears to offer similar specs to the ODroid-X, despite having a much smaller body at 48 x 52mm (roughly 1.9 x 2.0in) versus 90 x 94mm.

The ODroid-U is powered by a 1.4GHz Samsung Exynos 4412, which includes a quad-core Cortex A9 CPU with 1MB of L2 cache and a 400MHz Mali 400 GPU that supports 1080p video playback via micro HDMI. For another $20, Hardkernel offers the upgraded ODroid-U2, which has a 1.7GHz CPU, 440MHz GPU and doubles the system memory from 1GB to 2GB, but is otherwise identical to the cheaper ODroid-U.

Both of those models carry a 10/10Mb/s Ethernet jack, two USB ports, a microSD card slot, an eMMC module socket, as well as audio output via HDMI and a standard 3.5mm headphone jack. They're also offered with various optional add-ons, including a $12 Realtek USB 2.0 Wi-Fi dongle. Interestingly, the base price includes a small (59 x 57 x 60mm) black aluminum chassis that doubles as a heatsink.

Along with the ODroid-U and U2, Hardkernel has unveiled a more direct update to the original ODroid-X, fittingly dubbed the ODroid-X2. Priced at $135, the X2 carries the same 1.7GHz/440MHz Exynos SoC and 2GB of RAM found in the U2, except its 90 x 94mm body is used to deliver six USB ports, a full size SDHC card reader and a 50-pin IO port. It doesn't ship with a case, but it does have a passive heatsink.

All three systems can run Android as well as Ubuntu and other Linux distributions. Of note, unless you have a compatible power adapter and a spare microSD card, you'll have to spend another $20 or so to get going (Hardkernel sells an 8GB microSD card with Android 4.x preinstalled for $13). Initial shipments of the ODroid-U and U2 are on track for early January, while the ODroid-X2 is due sometime this month.

Permalink to story.

About time! But I can't believe they managed to get an EXYNOS on that thing! Multmedia powerhouse for cheap! Now if they can sell one with WLAN, they can expect money flowing from my wallet to them.

About time! But I can't believe they managed to get an EXYNOS on that thing! Multmedia powerhouse for cheap! Now if they can sell one with WLAN, they can expect money flowing from my wallet to them.
Nevermind, they actually have a USB adapter for that.

I am really tempted to get one for a little ubuntu media server. $40 S&H =/

I wish it had a SATA III controller...

I am really tempted to get one for a little ubuntu media server. $40 S&H =/

I wish it had a SATA III controller...

I've been watching the cubieboard and contemplating picking one of those up, just for the integrated SATA connection... I'm holding off until the first full shipment gets in, to see how early users find the performance. Anyhow, might be something you want to check out. cubieboard.org is the site.

Back