Haswell Refresh: Intel's New Z97 Platform Explored

Jos

Staff
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/816-intel-haswell-refresh-and-z97-platform/]https://www.techspot.com/review/816-intel-haswell-refresh-and-z97-platform/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Everything seemed to be neck and neck.. Why didn't you have anything from Asus platform??

I'm still rocking a Nehalem (Core i5-760) I bought on january 2011. It's more than enough for gaming; Intel hasn't released anything exciting in quite a while. Anyway I will upgrade sooner or later to get USB 3.0, SATA Express, PCIe 3.0 (or maybe 4.0 at this rate) and so on.

From what I've read the i7 4770 (the part just below the new 4790 they've released today) is about 10% faster than the 3770 which in turn is about 10% faster than the 2600 from 2011 (I have the 2600K).

So if that's correct if I upgraded my PC to this platform I'd be looking at maybe a 20-30% boost in CPU speed (1.1 * 1.1 = 1.21 then top that up a bit to allow for chipset improvements etc).

My current CPU is already blisteringly fast and for all but the most extreme tasks is going to show no difference at all from these new chips. This is a 3 year old CPU.

So I really don't see any reason to get too worked up about these new chips compared to the older ones. The really exciting thing about them is the reduced power consumption - but that applies most in devices like ultrabooks rather than desktop PCs.

From what I've read the i7 4770 (the part just below the new 4790 they've released today) is about 10% faster than the 3770 which in turn is about 10% faster than the 2600 from 2011 (I have the 2600K).

So if that's correct if I upgraded my PC to this platform I'd be looking at maybe a 20-30% boost in CPU speed (1.1 * 1.1 = 1.21 then top that up a bit to allow for chipset improvements etc).

My current CPU is already blisteringly fast and for all but the most extreme tasks is going to show no difference at all from these new chips. This is a 3 year old CPU.

So I really don't see any reason to get too worked up about these new chips compared to the older ones. The really exciting thing about them is the reduced power consumption - but that applies most in devices like ultrabooks rather than desktop PCs.

Exactly my point; marginal improvements in CPU performance make upgrading a simple question of deciding if you need to get access to new techonologies provided by the newer chipsets.

That gigabyte board...Man that is one nice board, I really like that color scheme and feature set. Would not mind grabbing one of those and a nice devils canyon i7.

But im still waiting on Haswell-E.

Like many people on here we know the next big thing will be the X99 platform and Haswell-E, probably even more so than Broadwell. 8 Core CPUs and DDR4 are truly a step forward. The only thing Broadwell has going for it is potentially a huge power reduction (doubt it, 10%+/-,) and will run on the Z97 chipset. Which the only real difference is the M.2 port (whoopedie doo.)

I think I do prefer lower power consumption over processor overkill. Is ddr4 going to cost too much?

I'm sure you can find a benchmark that shows that big differences. However, real world performance of all these "new" Intel chips is identical. If you are into overclocking, you can most likely get more performance out of a good old Sandy Bridge than the Haswells.

As long as AMD won't come with something that will dominate the i7's. Intel is not going to up their game

It really is a shame Intel didnt make any effort in this refresh. Too bad they can do that since AMD has no competition...

Back