HD 4870 Crashes on UT2K4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aolish

Got the 4870 and it seems like an excellent card... the problem I'm having is the card crashes whenever I play UT2K4. The crashes are pretty bad to... crashes results in alot of gibberish around my screen... different colors with letters and numbers everywhere. Whats strange is that it doesn't do this in other games. Just ut2k4. I had a 7900GS video card installed the first time. I used the add/remove to remove the drivers and installed in the ATI drivers. Could it be that some NV drivers that are still lurking in my system could be causing the crashes? Perhaps a full reinstall of xp is needed.

Or run Driver Sweeper

1. Uninstall the drivers from Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel of Windows.
2. Restart the computer.
3. Run Driver Sweeper*, select the drivers that you have uninstalled and click Clean button.
4. Install the new drivers.

* For Windows Vista users, please run Driver Sweeper in administrator mode.
Right mouse click Driver Sweeper shortcut and click Run as administrator.

To download and install Driver Sweeper, please click HERE. (direct link)
Save DriverSweeper_1.5.5-setup-[Guru3D.com].exe file on the hard disk.
Run DriverSweeper_1.5.5-setup-[Guru3D.com].exe.

So i have done a full format of my machine and reinstalled a fresh copy of XP. Installed SP3 and downloaded all the latest drivers and UT2K4 still crashes. The crashes are extremely random but it seems the longer i play this game the more its prone to crashing. I'm not exactly sure on what to do at this point. I've played HL2 EP2 all the way through without a single problem. Could this be just ut2k4 being buggy on the HD 4870? Or is there a more underlying problem with this card? I wish there was some sort of error msg that i can read. But as usual the crashes result in my display having all sorts of gibberish all over my screen or a bunch of green, brown or white lines going across my screen. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Before you run Memtest, make sure that your UT2K4 client is updated to the latest version. I forget the last patch that was released for the game but I would give that a try before anything else because, as you stated, UT2K4 is the only game that is giving you trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back