HDD & CD drive issue

Okay so a couple years ago I bought a Gateway DX-4200 and loved it. Not too long ago the mobo died and I had to find a replacement. My friend gave me his Asus M2N-SLI (not sure if thats the actual type of board) and installed it along with e verything else in a different case. In the period it took me to get the mobo, it had been almost a month. Now after installing everything, my hard drive is not being found but is getting hot (giving me the "disc boot failure insert system disc" message on boot up) and my cd drive is possibly not getting power cause it wont open and the light wont blink. (Am using a temporary power supply till my XFX 650 gets back so that could be a factor) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The temporary psu is 600 watts. I think its a bit older and uses a converter to get the SATA end needed for the cd drive. Think because its an older psu that the SATA ends on the psu could be bad and thats causing the lack of power to cd drive? One thing not mentioned in above post (dont know why it wasnt there to start with) When everything was still in the old case and after a friend put another cpu in it, one of the psu cable came in contact with the board and shorted out, throwing sparks and catching fire (I know. Stupid right?) and lead me to get another mobo. Am not sure if after that happened, if it could have damaged my hdd and cd drive.

Only reason Im asking on here is because that guy was the only one I knew who could help me. Yes common sense would render that anything connected would have been damaged but I didnt go to school for computers so I dont know. I just need confirmation on what to replace.

Back