HDD SATA on motherboard ASUS P4P800S-X

Hi to all, im new on this forum and i was hopping you can help me.
I have a ASUS P4P800X-S Motherboard on my pc i know that is a lil bit old but it still works great. Im using 2 hdd IDE on it and I was thinking to install a hdd SATA .
Is that possible ????
Thanks to all of you.

Yes but it is pointless. You dont get the benefit of a sata confuration b/c (unless your board had sata ports) you'll buy a converter to take ide connection to a sata connection but you're limited to the speed and features of IDE since that is the connection on the board.

It appears to me that your motherboard has two SATA ports so you can install a SATA hard drive if you want. Make sure you have the motherboard's SATA controller driver installed.

Thanks ! Yes i have seen those ports on my motherboard that how i get the idea lol.
And the benefits are that i can have much more space on a hdd SATA so i can remove one from my 2 hdd IDE that i have already installed.
@ mailpup, how can i detect if those drivers are installed ?
Thanks.

Check the Device Manager for any devices that have a yellow symbol next to it. That would indicate a driver problem. To be sure you could always install the latest driver anyway.

ah you mean after that i had installed the hdd SATA ?
any extra cable that i should buy to make the installation ( motherboard with hdd SATA ? Thanks mailpup
:eek:
oh extra question this morning when i turned on the pc i had to restore the time & date ? do you think that that the motherboard battery is gone ?

You can install the SATA drivers before if you wish.

I'm not sure what you mean by extra cable. You need a SATA 3GB/sec. compatible cable.

Yes, the first thing I would do is change the CMOS battery.

I had a number similar mobos (P5P800 and P5P800se.) I never had a problem with the SATA ports. XP recognizes them. You may want to update the drivers but it should just work. Newer OS'es should be fine too.
(edit-I was wrong. I thought it was 865 but it's 848.)
Here is the (correct) driver page,
http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-009237.htm

Back